Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
Click here to see the full Art Rules!

Return • A Cat ARPG by mothbrainz

Based on Click to view
Artist mothbrainz [gallery]
Time spent 5 hours, 52 minutes
Drawing sessions 6
94 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

by Guest

by Guest

by Guest

by Guest

Return • A Cat ARPG

Postby mothbrainz » Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:54 am

──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

Main ThreadFoundersCustoms & MYOsShopNurseryDiscordNursery Artist Search
Artist SearchRulesFAQGenetics • Lore & NPCs • Shows • Fanclub • Staff

For two long centuries, this land has been free of human footsteps.

There is a gentle breeze whispering through the long grass, shimmering golden in the early morning light. A
quiet rustling, little noises come from under the foliage, floating down from the scrubby trees. The birdsong
is like gentle music - they call to one another, gently, softly.

Everything is calm.

And then something near imperceptible, something so light the air's breath seems to hitch. Could it be?

Paws pad faintly upon the dirt and stir up nothing but a tiny cloud of dust. A tail sweeps out behind them,
their body stretched long and languid. An air of grace and effortlessness emanates from the creature that you
have only ever heard of in stories from before.

They had been hunting, tracking something, but then two pinprick eyes slowly turn to meet yours. They step
towards you, head tilted curiously, innocently, an analytical intelligence shining in their eyes. Your hand meets
their head and they let out the softest, faintest purr…

It has been 200 years since most of humanity left, and in their absence, the world shifted. Though some species
faded into oblivion, the cats remained, slowly settling down in the niches those extinct species left behind,
until humanity became a distant memory. Ghost stories and legends passed down from clowder to clowder,
until they became more fiction than fact.

But now humans are coming back, reuniting with those left behind, exploring the landscape and discovering
just what has happened while they were gone. And these cats—creatures of old myth and legend—have captured
the human's hearts most of all.

Rediscover what was lost. Look to the future. And rebuild from the past.

Welcome to Return, a realistic cat genetics ARPG! Our goal is to be a fun, educational experience
with opportunities for creative lore and lots of cats. While we have a focus on genetics, don't let that scare you away -
we have a lot of people willing to help you out! Don't be afraid to check out our discord, where we can answer all your genetics questions.

© Mythz for the banner
© font
Last edited by mothbrainz on Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
mothbrainz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Announcements

Postby mothbrainz » Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:55 am

Main ThreadFoundersCustoms & MYOsShopNurseryDiscord

CURRENT NEWS wrote:We are now seeking nursery artists as we prepare to open the breeding mechanic!

PAST NEWS wrote:12/21/2021 - The shop is open, and MYOs are now attainable! A mutation item is also being raffled off here.
12/17/2021 - Return's first event has opened! Create a settlement and potentially have it canonized at the
settlement creation event, and don't forget to check out the artist search!
12/16/2021 - Return has just opened! Staff is working on founders and may not be focusing on adopts
until those are caught up. Our opening event, settlement creation, is also open!

CURRENT ACTIVITIES wrote:Founders: Open
Nursery: Open
Customs: Closed
Event: Open
MYOs: Open
Shop: Open
Shows: Closed
Vet Station: Open
Artist Search: Open
Nursery Artist Search: Open
Last edited by mothbrainz on Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:58 am, edited 17 times in total.
mothbrainz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Rules & Guidelines

Be respectful of others.
              » This includes both those inside and out of Return, both individuals and demographics. Please be kind
              to each other in Return and be respectful of others' identities. Any form of ableism, homophobia,
              racism, transphobia, etc will not be tolerated. When portraying things such as mental health issues,
              real-world cultures, and similar topics in lore, we ask that you avoid negative and stigmatized
              stereotypes.
            Refrain from spamming.
              » This includes rushing staff to complete purchases, judge adopts, and post nursery litters, repetitively bumping topics that don't need to be bumped, and posting the same message multiple times in a row. When posting advertisements, please wait 24 hours or 5 replies before posting again and do not post the same advertisement back-to-back.
            Adopts may not be sold for IRL currency.
              » The only exception to this will be customs purchased for IRL currency during fundraiser events. Users who purchase fundraiser cats may resell them for the same amount they were purchased for or less. Fundraiser customs may only be sold for IRL currency by the user who originally purchased the custom.
            Have payment on hand when making purchases.
              » Purchases will not be considered complete until after payment has been sent and a staff member
              has archived the purchase. This means that you cannot use items, cats, etc until you are notified
              that the archive has been updated accordingly.
            Be patient with artists and their boundaries.
              » Please do not rush artists to judge contests, finish nursery litters/runner-ups, etc. Return aims to be a safe, stress-free environment for our artists and thus their boundaries are paramount. Furthermore, users who have been blocked by an artist are not permitted to be given any of said artists' designs, whether it's via adopt contests, raffles, trades, nursery litters, etc. This will be privately and confidentially monitored via staff's transfer archives.
            Properly credit all Return assets.
              » When crediting Return designs, please credit allynabean for the base, Archaeopteryx. for the background (if present), and the artist who designed your cat. Users who are banned from Return will retain ownership of all designs they obtain while in Return, but are not permitted to use Return assets and must transfer their designs off of Return lines. Return assets such as generators, lineart, and ribbons may not be used outside of Return without direct permission from mothbrainz.
            Follow Chickensmoothie rules.
              » Since this group is hosted on Chickensmoothie, all CS rules must be followed. This includes the discord, as CS also monitors offsite behavior when it's directly linked to CS. COPPA users, however, may not join the discord as Discord does not allow users below the age of 13.
Last edited by mothbrainz on Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
mothbrainz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Frequently Asked Questions

Main ThreadFoundersCustoms & MYOsShop  • NurseryDiscord

• Do I have to follow official lore? 

» Nope! While Return will follow & develop the official group lore, AUs are allowed and you can opt out of the official lore entirely if you’d like to.

• Are stats randomized?

» Yes and no - on founders, adopts, customs, and MYOs, stats are 100% random (with the exception of founders having a soft minimum, to prevent massive disadvantage.) Breeding result stats are determined somewhat by the parents, but also have a randomized factor.

• Can I change my cat’s gender?

» Yes! While we do track cats’ chromosomes for breeding purposes, due to the red gene being linked to the X chromosome, we will not monitor or disallow any gender identity. Your cats can be trans, nonbinary, non-chromosomal intersex - anything you want!

• Why do breeding pairs have to be XX x XY? 

» Return is based on realistic genetics, and in cats, one of the major color genes is linked to the X chromosome. In XX x XX or XY x XY breedings, things could get a little funky and would veer out of genetic realism. We do realize that users may want their LGBT ships to be able to have kittens, however, and we do offer surrogates at the nursery to make this possible!

• What does AGAB mean?

» AGAB stands for assigned gender at birth. This determines the X and Y chromosomes that your cat has: a DFAB cat (designated female at birth) will have two X chromosomes, while a DMAB cat (designated male at birth) will have one X and one Y chromosome. Your cats may identify as any gender regardless of their AGAB, but as listed above, breedings can only be XX x XY (DFAB x DMAB) due to a major color gene being located on the X chromosome.

Last edited by mothbrainz on Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:45 am, edited 4 times in total.
mothbrainz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Founders

To help you get started in Return, you have the chance to get a pair of randomly-generated founders. This is so users can start off with an adult, unrelated, breedable pair of cats right off the bat, rather than struggling to win adopts. As a bonus, founders will have a stat minimum of 15, as opposed to adopts’ minimum of 1.

Founders are open!

To get your randomized founders, fill out this form and post it to
this thread! Forms posted on the main page are at risk of getting lost.

Code: Select all
[center][i]I’d like to generate some founders![/i][/center]

[b]Username:[/b]
[b]Return Archive:[/b]
When your founders are complete and posted, you’ll be sent a link to your new cats. Please fill out and post the form on their profiles as soon as possible so they can be properly archived!

Last edited by mothbrainz on Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:58 am, edited 12 times in total.
mothbrainz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Genetics

Postby mothbrainz » Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:56 am

Return uses realistic feline genetics. All of our designs are hypothetically possible in real-life cats, and all cats will
have an assigned genotype for use in breedings. While this may seem limiting and overwhelming, we strive for
Return to be a stress-free, educational group. We have an extensive genetics guide, featuring all our currently
unlocked genes, and our genetics helpers are happy to answer questions and provide help. Other more complicated
genes will be introduced one by one during special events, and will be added to the genetics guide as well.

The genetics of your cat will determine what it looks like - if it’s shorthair or longhair, black or white, and more will
be added in the future that unlock new and exciting characteristics. Your cat’s genes will be written in a genotype.
While it may look long and overwhelming, we currently only use eleven parts of it - the rest will be unlocked periodically
over time. We currently use the agouti, eumelanin, colorpoint, dilute, inhibitor, longhair, mackerel, red, spotted, ticked,
and white spotting loci.

Last edited by mothbrainz on Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.
mothbrainz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Meet The Staff

MOTHBRAINZ
      HE/HIM
      Artist, Loremaker,
      Archivist, Community
      Manager

ALLYNABEAN
      SHE/HER
      Artist
      VINSON
      THEY/THEM
      Loremaker,
      Archivist

MYTHZ
      SHE/HER
      Artist, Archivist,
      Community Manager

NIO
      HE/HIM,
      THEY/THEM,
      XE/XEM
      Artist, Archivist,
      Community Manager

ONLY_SKY
      SHE/HER
      Artist,
      Community
      Manager

Archaeopteryx.
      HE/HIM,
      IT/ITS
      Artist,
      Loremaker

DANICALIFORNIA
      HE/HIM,
      THEY/THEM
      Artist, Community Manager
        MIRAPHOENIX
        THEY/THEM,
        IT/ITS
        Artist, Loremaker,
        Archivist, Community
        Manager

AGLASSMAN
      SHE/HER
      Nursery Artist
      ~HєуRєι~
      SHE/HER,
      THEY/THEM
      Artist
        .LUCIFER
        HE/HIM,
        Nursery Artist,
        Archivist,

CHANCEUXCAT
      THEY/THEM,
      SHE/HER
      Artist
Last edited by mothbrainz on Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:30 am, edited 6 times in total.
mothbrainz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

The Vet & Showing

Return’s show program is a completely optional program, but participating can be a fun community experience -
you’ll have the chance to show off your cats, earn ribbons, and even boost the stats of their offspring once they’ve
earned a certain number of champion ribbons! Our cat shows are split up into three distinct categories: aesthetics,
athletics, and functionality. Aesthetics judges the natural beauty and personality of your cats, athletics provides them
the opportunity to show off their agility, and functionality judges their structure and overall health, with a health
testing requirement for entry. Showing combines a cat’s stats with a randomized rolling aspect and optional writing/art
booster, so everyone has a chance to do well and win. The top four cats in each category of each round will earn awards
and collectible ribbons! For more information about the program, each of the categories, and how to enter, please
visit the show thread, linked in all of the main page’s posts!

Our wonderful veterinarian, Jackie, performs health tests that are required for entering a functionality show and highly
recommended for breeding. Health stats will not be revealed until a user receives health testing results, and cats
without visible health stats will not be able to have more than three kittens in a litter. Testing includes checking
a cat’s teeth and mouth, measuring blood pressure and heart rate, and checking for signs of neurological disorders.
These tests are free and easy to obtain - check out the link below for more information and test forms!

Vet & Health Testing • Show Thread (coming soon!) •
Last edited by mothbrainz on Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
mothbrainz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Return • A Cat ARPG

Postby Swishy & Broken » Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:57 am

mark !!
so excited !!