Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

Cupido Draft Horses ─ Coat Guide by acronymm

Based on Click to view
Artist acronymm [gallery]
Time spent 8 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
20 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

Cupido Draft Horses ─ Coat Guide

Postby acronymm » Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:24 pm

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
    Welcome to the official Cupido Draft Horse coat guide!
    Here, you will discover both visual and written guides to base coats, dilutions, markings, breed specific genes, event markings, and more.

Each phenotype will include a description and any notes. There will also be such thing as tiers, ranging from common (c), uncommon (uc) and rare (r)

Tiers are used in order to keep certain markings from appearing too frequently.

Thank you so much to rebel.appy for these wonderful lines
Last edited by acronymm on Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:14 am, edited 10 times in total.
acronymm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Pages

Postby acronymm » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:48 am

Last edited by acronymm on Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
acronymm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Cupido Draft Genetics

Postby acronymm » Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:58 am

Thank you Shadow for your help with this guide!

Note: Cupido Draft Genetics are based off real genetics. Therefore, genetics may not completely correspond, this is because CDH has more simplified genes. This guide does not accurately use the gene locus.

Breed specific genetics and non-genetic markings do not have a specific geno. Instead, they are written out.
    For example: + byakko, + m venus, + chubari, etc

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

BASE COATS
    Chestnut [Red]: Standard/Classic, Liver, Honey, Golden, Flaxen, Black
    Bay [Agouti]: Standard/Classic, Dark, Blood, Wild, Seal, Copper, Gold, Sandy/Light, Cherry, Mahogany
    Black: Standard, Raven, Jet, Sun-fading, Bleached

MODIFIERS & DILUTIONS
    Grey
    Dun
    Flaxen
    Silver
    Pangare
    Champagne
    Mushroom
    Cream
    Pearl
    Ivory
    Amber
    Sooty

WHITE MARKINGS
    Tobiano
    Frame Overo
    Overo
    Splash
    Sabino
    Sabino-White
    Dominant White
    Medicine Hat

APPALOOSA MARKINGS
    Roan
    Leopard
    Fewspot
    Semi-Leopard
    Near Leopard
    Snowcap
    Blanket
    Varnish
    Frost
    Mismarked
    Snowflake

COMBINATIONS
    Tovero [Overo + Tobiano]
    Pintaloosa [Any paint marking + appaloosa marking]

NON-GENETIC - Non-genetic traits pass at 5% or 10% if dam/sire both have them
    Bloodmarks/Bloody shoulder
    Chubari spots
    Gulastra plume
    Bider marks
    Cornmarks
    Grease/Bend or spots
    Tetrarch spots
    Birdcatcher spots
    Lacing
    Brindle
    Manchado
    Cat tracks/Belton spots

VOCABULARY

1. Dominant: Masks recessive alleles in a heterozygous genotype- therefore is expressed in the phenotype. Represented by an uppercase letter

2. Recessive: Masked by a dominant allele in a heterozygous genotype and only shows in the homozygous form. Represented by a lowercase letter. Trait that shows in the homozygous recessive form is a recessive trait

3. Genotype: Set of genes/alleles in the DNA which is responsible for a particular trait. Example: Ee/AA/TOn

4. Phenotype: Physical expression of an organism’s genotype. Example Chestnut Tobiano

5. Homozygous: Have either two dominant or two recessive alleles at a single locus.

6. Heterozygous: Have one dominant and one recessive allele at the same locus

7. Punnett Square: Diagram used in the study of genetics used to predict the genotype, specifically when breeding

8. Dilution: Different dilution genes literally “tone down” the intensity of basic base colors. For instance, a black affected by dilution becomes grulla; bay becomes buckskin; chestnut becomes palomino, etc.

Agouti aa/AA/At/A+
    Black base aa
    Extension ee/EE
    Gray gg/GG

To get Chestnut/Sorrel base
    Horse must be either
    ee/aa
    ee/Aa
    ee/AA
    ee/AAt
    ee/AA+
    ee/Ata
    ee/AtAt
    ee/A+a
    ee/A+A+
    Liver chestnut is unknown modifier
    Flaxen chestnut modifier is a recessive genetic. Must have any of the above and be genetically ff to show flaxen. Ff is a flaxen carrier, FF is not a carrier of flaxen.

To get Black base
    Horse must be either
    Ee/aa
    EE/aa
    Fading/bleach/solid black is unknown modifier

To get Gray/Grey
    Gray is 100% dominant to all genetics and will eventually turn a horse white with dark hooves and have black skin showing around eyes/muzzle with brown eyes unless other genetics or markings play a role in changing the skin, hoof, or eye colors. They gray out over time, but some are faster than others.
    How they look as they gray depend on base coat, dilutions, modifiers, and other genes. They can dapple.
    To be gray a horse must be:
    Gg
    GG

Eumelanin: E
    Determines if a horse has a black or chestnut (red) base.
    E: Black (EE, Ee)
    e: Red (Chestnut) (ee)

Agouti: A
    Restricts black pigment to points to create bay and causes brown.
    A: Bay (AA, AAt, AA+, Aa)
    At: Seal Brown (AtAt, AtA+, Ata)
    A+: Wild bay (A+A+, A+a)
    a: Non-agouti, normal black base (aa)

Grey: G
    Changes a horse's coat to grey over its lifetime. Affects all coats. Foals are born their natural color and grey over their lifetime, usually ending up as completely white or fleabitten grey.
    G: Grey (GG, Gg)
    g: Non-grey (gg)

Cream: Cr
    Cream dilutes a horse's coat to a lighter color. It is an incomplete dominant gene, so two copies dilute further than one. One copy of cream turns black to smoky black; bay to buckskin; seal brown to brown buckskin; and chestnut to palomino. Two copies of cream turns black to smoky cream; bay and brown to perlino; and chestnut to cremello. Cream causes light eyes in double-dilutes.
    CrCr: Double cream (two copies of cream)
    Crprl: Psuedo double cream (looks the same as double creams but has one copy of cream and one of pearl)
    Crcr: Single cream

Pearl: prl
    Pearl produces a horse with a metallic shine that somewhat resembles champagne horses. It is a recessive gene, so it only shows with two copies.
    prlprl: Pearl
    crcr: Non-cream (also crprl; carrying pearl)

Dun: D
    Dilutes a horse's coat color, with the head and legs often being darker. The horse may appear to have a dark mask over the top of the head. Causes primitive markings such as a dorsal stripe, ear barring, leg barring, shoulder stripes and cobwebbing on the forehead. Some homozygous duns may have bider marks.
    D: Dun (DD, Dnd1, Dnd2 or Dd)
    nd1: Non-dun 1, causes some primitive markings (nd1nd1, nd1nd2)
    nd2 or d: Non-dun 2, no primitive markings whatsoever (nd2nd2)

Silver: Z
    A dilution affecting black pigment in the mane and tail, and black body pigment to a slight degree. Silver lightens black to silver black, bay to silver bay, and brown to silver seal brown (or blue taffy).
    Z: Silver (ZZ, Zz)
    z: Non-Silver (zz)

Champagne: Ch
    Dilutes the coat to a lighter, somewhat metallic color. Champagne dilutes black to classic champagne, bay to amber champagne, brown to sable champagne and red to gold champagne.
    Ch: Champagne (ChCh, Chch)
    ch: Non-Champagne (chch)

Mushroom: mu
    Mushroom is a recessive gene that dilutes red in the coat to a taupe or sepia color. It dilutes chestnuts to a light sepia, and bay to a dark taupe that resembles sooty buckskins.
    Mu: Non-mushroom (Mumu, MuMu)
    mu: mushroom (mumu)

Flaxen: f
    A recessive gene that dilutes mane and tails to a flaxen wheat color. Effects red pigment. In real life, it has not been definitively linked to one gene; there are still theories that it is polygenic and therefore influenced by many genes.
    F: Non-flaxen (FF, Ff)
    f: Flaxen (ff)

Sooty: Sty
    Darkens the coat color and to an extent, the mane, from the topline of the body. It often has a pronounced effect on buckskin and palomino coats. In real life, inheritance of sooty is not well understood and it is unclear if it is caused by one or many genes.
    Sty: Sooty (StySty, Stysty)
    sty: Non-sooty (stysty)

Roan: Rn
    Lightens the hairs of the body. The face, legs and mane remain fully colored.
    Rn: Roan (RnRn, Rnrn)
    rn: Non-Roan (rnrn)

Pangare: P
    Lightens the underside of the body, around the eyes, the nose, and up the rump. Some sources say it also lightens the mane and tail in chestnut horses, mimicking the flaxen gene. In real life, pangare is not attributed to a single gene; it is thought to be polygenic - caused by many different genes.
    P: Pangare (PP, Pp)
    p: Non-pangare (pp)

Tobiano: To or T
    Produces patches of white across the whole body. Legs almost always have some degree of white on them, often up to the knees or further. Patches are usually rounded, without the jagged edges commonly seen in overo. The chest and flank are the last to lose color. The head and ears are usually solidly colored. At minimum, tobianos may only have white on the legs with no other markings. At maximum, they may be almost entirely white, only retaining color on the head (moroccan tobianos) or the chest/flanks.
    To: Tobiano (ToTo, Toto)
    to: Non-tobiano (toto)

Frame Overo: O
    Causes irregular white patches, usually with jagged edges. The white almost never crosses the topline of the horse. Legs may or may not have white markings. The head is often white or bald-faced, with markings being irregular. Blue eyes are common when white comes close to or covers the eyes. Frame overo is associated with Lethal White Syndrome (also called Lethal White Overo), which refers to how homozygous frame horses all die shortly after birth due to complications. For this reason, fame overo horses cannot be bred together.
    OO: Lethal White Syndrome (LWS)
    Oo: Frame overo (or reverse overo)
    o: Non-overo

Splash: Spl
    May be called Splash or Splashed White. Causes white markings look as if the horse has been dipped in white paint hoof-first. It affects the legs and face first. Eyes are often blue regardless of if white covers them or not. Minimal splashes may appear to just have a few socks or be seemingly solid-colored. Maximum splashes usually retain color only on the ears, top of the neck and/or withers.
    Spl: Splashed white (SplSpl, Splspl)
    spl: Non-splash (splspl)

Sabino: Sb
    Causes irregular white spotting and roaning. White is typically irregular, jagged and has a spotty/roaned look, appearing most frequently on the stomach. Interspersed white and colored hairs caused by sabino can mimic the roan gene. Roaning or jaggedness at the edges of white markings is common, as are irregular face markings. Usually two or more feet/legs are white.
    Homozygous sabino results in a coat that is more than 90% white and is referred to as maximum sabino or sabino-white. Homozygous sabinos usually have a fully roaned appearance (including the head and legs, unlike the Roan gene) often with patches of darker color, or as a white horse with spots of color and some lightly colored patches.
    Heterozygous sabino can display as minimally as a few spots on the face with a few white feet. It can present as an extensive roaned appearance, or just as solid white spotting on the legs, belly, neck and/or rump.

Sb: Sabino (SbSb, Sbsb)
    sb: Non-sabino (sbsb)

Dominant White: W
    Dominant white is a family of 28 genes (W1-W28) causing white spotting, often similar to sabino, up to a near- or full white horse. Multiple of these genes are thought to be homozygous embryonic lethal, meaning offspring does not typically survive to reach birth. W20 is the most widespread of the dominant white genes, and is known to cause markings such as socks and blazes, but when paired with other white markings such as tobiano, it significantly increases the extensiveness of the white. The dominant white gene has been simplified into two genes: "W" dominant white which causes a fully white horse with pink skin, with homozygous white being embryonic lethal, and "W+" which represents W20. They occur on the same locus like pearl and cream.
    WW: Lethal as embryo
    Ww: Dominant white
    WW+: Dominant white
    W+W+: White leg and face markings. More extensive than in heterozygous form. Extends white markings when paired with them.
    W+w: Minimal white leg and face markings. Extends other white markings when paired with them.
    ww: Non-dominant white

Appaloosa: Lp and PATN1
    Varnish is only on the LP gene and can be present or not present with the LP
    Single LP has spots, homo LP often has few to no spots
    Pattern 1 is leopard (LPlp) or fewspot (LPLP)
    Pattern 2 is blanket (LPlp) or snowcap (LPLP)

Rabicano: Rb
    Rb: Rabicano
    rb: Non-rabicano

MORE
    CDH Generator
    Equine Genetic Guide
    Horse Coat Reference
    Equine Gene List
    AQHA Guide
Last edited by acronymm on Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:58 am, edited 7 times in total.
acronymm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Cupido Draft Horses ─ Coat Guide Base Colors

Postby ShadowStarFang » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:28 pm

Gonna cover Chestnut, Bay, Seal Bay, Wild Bay, Brown, Black, and Grey. Grey is gonna be covered here as well since it’s not really a dilution or modifier as much as it just overruns everything lol
Genetic panel of coverage ee/aa(At/A+)/gg
Not gonna add all shade variants, as many are just slightly different or may just be visually different but not genetically different. This is to cover the genetics as Acronymm has many shades covered above with the CDH rarity guide!

Pretty Title Here!
links to other colors posts and to top post here too

Chestnut
Sorrel, Red, Liver chestnut
  • ee/aa
  • ee/Aa
  • ee/AA
  • ee/AAt
  • ee/AA+
  • ee/Ata
  • ee/AtAt
  • ee/A+a
  • ee/A+A+
Information blob here!

Wild Bay
Alternate names
  • Ee/A+a
  • EE/A+a
  • Ee/A+A+
  • EE/A+A+
  • Ee/A+A
  • EE/A+A
  • Ee/A+At
  • EE/A+At
Wild Bay is the most dominate Agouti (A+) genetic within Cupido Draft Horses.

Bay
Alternate Names
  • Ee/Aa
  • EE/Aa
  • Ee/AA
  • EE/AA
  • Ee/AAt
  • EE/AAt
Bays will be red on their body and head, with black points. The black points include legs,
muzzle, tail, mane, and occasionally ear tips. The Agouti (A Gene) restricts the black
pigment from the Extension (E Gene).

Seal Bay
Dark Bay, Brown
  • Ee/Ata
  • EE/Ata
  • Ee/AtAt
  • EE/AtAt
Seal Bays are the least dominate Agouti (At Gene) in Cupido Draft Horses. The At Gene
provides minimal black restriction on the bay base. Often leaves the soft spots, such as
the muzzle, flanks, and under rump, with more red or orange color. In some cases, the
horse may look black even.

Black
alternate names to this coat! Yay!
  • Ee/aa
  • EE/aa
Expression of the extension gene, allowing a horse to be a variety of shades of black.

Grey
Gray
  • Gg
  • GG
Information blob here!
Status Updated: 09/07/23 @08:15
Our baby is here now, so I am super busy and occupied
by his shenanigans <3 Wouldn’t trade any of it.
Unfortunately, that does mean I am at a standstill on
commissions and other Oekaki art until further notice.

Art & Commissions
PM me if you would like to order a commission! Previews
are listed in my DeviantArt in the Commissions folder.

About Me!
Hello everyone, I am ShadowStarFang! Most refer to me as
Shadow, though I also go by Tess, Solar, and Fangy.
My pronouns are she/her and I am currently
happily married to my high school sweetheart <3 08/16/2020
The horse to the right is my old Polish Arab mare, Rodeo.
I drew my Avatar Please Don't Steal!
ShadowStarFang

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Cupido Draft Genetics

Postby acronymm » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:47 pm

ALTERNATIVE NAMES
    In the horse world, there are many alternative names for base coats, dilutions, modifiers, markings, etc. Most range in various shades, hence the reason there are many different names

NAMES OF THE DUN DILUTION
    Classic Dun/Yellow Dun/Bay Dun/Peanut Butter Dun/Zebra Dun/Golden Dun/Dusty Dun = Most common shade of dun. Comes from the dun dilution on a bay base. The coat ranges from a light creamy yellow to a deep gold. Mane, tail, points and primitive markings are dark.

Red Dun/Apricot Dun/Peach Dun/Claybank Dun = Dun on a chestnut base. Often confused with chestnut, all hair is lightened on the body, but mane, tail, points and primitive markings are a darker, undiluted shade of red.

Black Dun/Blue Dun/Grullo/Grulla/Mouse Dun/Slate Dun/Lobo Dun = Dun on a black base which has a variety of names. This creates a smoky blue color that ranges from light mouse grey to a deep slate grey and is often considered the rarest of the dun shades. Mane, tail, points and primitive markings are dark black

Wolf Dun/Coyote Dun/Olive Grullo/Muddy Grullo = Dun on a seal brown base is not as strong as the rest. This changes body hair to various shades of muddy-brown. Mane, tail, points and primitive markings are dark brown to black

Smoky Grulla = Dun with a cream gene on a black base. A grulla horse can hide the cream gene as well. The cream gene doesn’t have any effect on the color, but the horse could potentially have palomino or buckskin foals

Palomino Dun/Dunalino = Occurs when the dun gene and cream gene pair on a chestnut base

Dunskin/Buckskin Dun = A buckskin horse that also has the dun gene. This color horse has a bay base with one copy of the cream gene and the dun gene. The horse is typically much lighter in color than a normal buckskin and has noticeable leg barring and a dorsal stripe. Many dunskins will also have lighter-colored highlights in their mane and tail

acronymm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me