An "Advanced" board has been added to the oekaki!

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

Re: An "Advanced" board is being added to the Oekaki soon!

Postby Linsang » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:41 pm

Berkshire wrote:The "This isn't intermediate" issue has always bugged me. People really need to keep that to themselves, especially if that's all their comment says. The intermediate board is for critique and professional commentary. "This isn't worthy!" is neither of those things. And, unless accompanied by, or better yet, replaced with, suggestions on how to improve, these kinds of comments shouldn't be there, no matter the board they are in.

Personally, I doubt I'll be looking at these new "guidelines" when I draw (well, maybe I will at first, getting used to the new board). I'll just use my own judgement, and trust those around me to do the same.
That's the meaning of "guideline" right?

I definitely see the negative points expressed, and agree with many of them. I for one, will try to look at this as a generally positive change. Personally, I'll be using the boards much the same as I do now, and consider the new "advanced" board more suited to more ridiculously amazing artists like Oofay, for whom the "intermediate" tag is laughable (in my eyes at least)

Well, I'll be giving it a few weeks of watching, this is a new change to our lovely CS, and we'll have to make the best of it. Who really knows how this board will be used in the end?

That's up to us, the users.

The problem I see with this, Berkshire, is that there are only a few Oofays or Panaceas out there. They do photorealism, and they do it well, but that's just one genre of art and I don't see why it should be raised on a pedestal above something that might be equally creative or time-consuming or beautiful, just different. It's a matter of taste in that regard, but this system seems to be encouraging that "Fully realistic is better and because your drawing of a flying monkey from Jupiter happens to be in your own style and doesn't have ideal anatomy, it isn't worthy of this board."
It just comes down so much to a matter of preference and "what do we value more", and I find that impractical. For all the artists that it seems easy to peg as "advanced" there will be plenty for whom that is not the case.

Responses may be slow due to IRL obligations, bear with me. I'm an adult and my pronouns are they/them!
Music recommendation from me! :D
Linsang

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DaDwarf » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:48 pm

I kinda have to agree with Emberwolf. I've had art moved from beginners to intermediate before by a moderator, and then without notion being moved back to beginners (after being in intermediate for almost a year). I originally put it into beginners so i wasn't too upset but what kinda bothered me is that one person deemed it intermediate, and the next didn't so shoved it back where it came from.

The split between intermediate and beginners was already something that was up to certain people - you can look at something and not find it intermediate whilst it might be very intermediate for that person - their art isn't compared with each other, and so you create the feeling that their art will never be good enough (Especially not for advanced boards) whilst they did make progress.

I completely understand the want to put advanced and intermediate works more in the spotlight C: Everybody likes looking at pretty pictures. But the 'this doesn't belong in this board' posts by members will have to be shot down because that should not be acceptable. Most users can decide for themselves if something really is intermediate up to their own standards and it's very discouraging if 10000's of members tell you it's not. A simple message from a moderator as to why it is moved (Preferred in pm!) should be enough and wouldn't make the artist discouraged.

Just wanted to add that i don't use the oekakies much, i just browse for art sometimes and it never bothered me that advanced art is mixed in with intermediate art :3
DaDwarf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ralonica Thorondor » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:55 pm

This is an awesome idea.
But there will need to be lots of moving around of artwork. :B

This just made me think of how awesome it would be to have a collab board. But that's just me and it probably isn't needed. |D
█ ▒
█ ▒
█ ▒
█ ▒
█ ▒
█ ▒
█ ▒
█ ▒
█ ▒
█ ▒
█ ▒
█ ▒
█ ▒
█ ▒
█ ▒
█ ▒
█ ▒
█ ▒

~☆~'~☆~

~☆~'~☆~
Lithions + Ophyals for sale
quit CS, contact me on dA

Signature art by LostGosling

CharactersAdopted Critters
OphyalsCepheus HoundsCretoz Unicorns

Ralonica Thorondor

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ppig » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:06 pm

This is a great idea, I think!

/After being on the Oekaki for a year I'm still in Beginners Pfft
ppig

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tess » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:09 pm

I think we will probably make rules against the "this doesn't belong here" posts because those are really unnecessary
Click here if you need help from CS Staff or General Helpers!
Tess
Admin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Vazchu » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:14 pm

I think it's a very good thing to do this. But then again, as some already has said, it will probably cause lots of chaos with the "rules".. I for one wouldn't know where to post, I barely know where to post these days with just beginner's and intermediate. So it will probably make it harder, not just for me, but many others too. I can't speak for them right now, but I can probably speak more than enough for myself to say that I don't have any confidence whatsoever when it comes to my art. When I've finished something I'm always scared of posting it - because I've never known where to post it, where it belongs and won't get any comments like "this doesn't belong in here!" in a negative way. Unlike others I can't say that I've a style that I draw accordingly to, it's just the way of getting there that is my way of doing things. Everything I draw looks to me slightly different compared to what I drew before it, some looks messier than others and some looks better than others... Which makes it twice as hard for me to post my things.

So to say the least, it will be hard to get used to and finding the part of the forum where one's art truly belongs. But I really hope this will work in the end.

By the way, if you still want us to volunteer and let you use our art as examples, you're more than welcome to use mine, since I - as I said - wouldn't know where to post some of my art when this is finished. So it would be interesting to see, to say the least.
my dA | me on eldemore | me on FR | my characters + blog | characters for sale

Within the darkness two pearls shines bright,
glittering and shimmering in their bluest pride.
Somewhere in the depths there is a silent sound,
a silent song which caused the heart to pound.
It whispers, it tells stories of old, tales of eternity ride,
forgotten within this endless song.

Image Image
Vazchu

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DaDwarf » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:18 pm

Tess wrote:I think we will probably make rules against the "this doesn't belong here" posts because those are really unnecessary

That would be grand! :clap: I personally think that's the biggest discouragement you can get. Yer all proud cause you finished your art and hop, people tell you it's not good enough. With an addition to the rules, at least young or beginner artists will be spared that feeling C:
DaDwarf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jayfrost » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:20 pm

Whilst I agree with many of the arguements put forward by Linsang and Berkshire, I think it may give me a few more goals within my art.

You are welcome to use any of my oekakis as examples if you wish. c:

xxxxxxxImage

Imagexxxxxxx
───────────────────
xxxxxxxxxx
jay • they/them

disabled / chronically ill -
low activity & slow replies

i don't do art commissions

xxxxxxxxxx

────────🍂────────

Jayfrost
Official Artist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby remade » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:28 pm

I think this is kind of pushing the limits. I think (As someone brought up on the Tumblr Tag) that art should be categorized by style and not by "Level" or even the three groups your giving.
remade

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Noodle boi Kudanori » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:46 pm

Hey Tess, you can use any of my art for any of the catagory exsamples if you like
Last edited by Noodle boi Kudanori on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noodle boi Kudanori

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me