tell me about your country and cultural experience!

Discussion in other languages - Deutsch • Español • Français • Italiano • Nederlands • Polski • Русский • Svenska • 日本語 • 中文

tell me about your country and cultural experience!

Postby zoocyte » Sat May 08, 2021 4:43 pm

hi! i'm curious and looking for people who live in various countries. i'd like to learn more about people's experiences and personal accounts of the respective country you hail from. and just chat, i suppose! like anywhere else be kind and respectful.

here's some things that i (and anyone else who'd like to listen in) would like to know. you can answer any of the enclosed questions or just talk about the topic in general.
      Code: Select all
      [b]username:[/b]
      [b]country:[/b]
      [b]region:[/b]
      [b]countries you've been to:[/b]
      [b]languages you speak:[/b]
      [b]naming.[/b]
      (don't say your actual name of course, per cs rules. how are people named where you're from? are there names specific to the culture and region, or are they globally recognizable/common names? are the country-specific names easy to pronounce in english? how do you feel about your name, how common is it?)

[b]language.[/b]
      (what are the predominant languages? how did the native language originate, what influences from other languages are there? what can you tell me about its grammar and syntax? regional dialects and accents? written language? what are some highlights or characteristics of the language, and some fun facts about it? what's the literacy rate where you're from, and how commonly is english spoken? how did you learn the languages you know? how confident are you in them?)

[b]culture.[/b]
      (what can you share about the culture of the country? what are the people known for? what do they value? what are some customs and traditions? folklore and folk beliefs?)

[b]geography.[/b]
      (what is the geography of the country? how are people's lives and cultures shaped by the place they live? what are notable locations and sites? what do tourists come to the country for, and what are the most popular destinations?)

[b]social.[/b]
      (what are the social expectations? what is expected of locals, and what is expected of foreigners? how do people express respect, courtesy or other particular feelings? what expectations are there for different age groups and for other particular demographics? what vocations are most respected?)

[b]arts.[/b]
      (what kind of arts and crafts can be found here? design, visual art, handicrafts, music, culinary, architecture, others? what media do people tune into, and what outside media has influenced or taken hold?)

[b]history.[/b]
      (what is the history of the country like? what important changes occured that developed the country into what it is in the present? how has the past affected the present? how much do the people know about their own history? what would you find in a museum here?)

[b]country-specific.[/b]
      (what are some things that can be found only in your country? what do you expect to find in a typical household? when and how can you tell that someone is from your country, what are the typical traits that indicate it?)

[b]share anything.[/b]
      (any information you'd like to share about your country, how you feel about it or your own experiences!)

username:
      region:
      countries you've been to:
      languages you speak:
      naming.
      (don't say your actual name of course, per cs rules. how are people named where you're from? are there names specific to the culture and region, or are they globally recognizable/common names? are the country-specific names easy to pronounce in english? how do you feel about your name, how common is it?)

language.
      (what are the predominant languages? how did the native language originate, what influences from other languages are there? what can you tell me about its grammar and syntax? regional dialects and accents? written language? what are some highlights or characteristics of the language, and some fun facts about it? what's the literacy rate where you're from, and how commonly is english spoken? how did you learn the languages you know? how confident are you in them?)

culture.
      (what can you share about the culture of the country? what are the people known for? what do they value? what are some customs and traditions? folklore and folk beliefs?)

geography.
      (what is the geography of the country? how are people's lives and cultures shaped by the place they live? what are notable locations and sites? what do tourists come to the country for, and what are the most popular destinations?)

social.
      (what are the social expectations? what is expected of locals, and what is expected of foreigners? how do people express respect, courtesy or other particular feelings? what expectations are there for different age groups and for other particular demographics? what vocations are most respected?)

arts.
      (what kind of arts and crafts can be found here? design, visual art, handicrafts, music, culinary, architecture, others? what media do people tune into, and what outside media has influenced or taken hold?)

history.
      (what is the history of the country like? what important changes occured that developed the country into what it is in the present? how has the past affected the present? how much do the people know about their own history? what would you find in a museum here?)

country-specific.
      (what are some things that can be found only in your country? what do you expect to find in a typical household? when and how can you tell that someone is from your country, what are the typical traits that indicate it?)

share anything.
      (any information you'd like to share about your country, how you feel about it or your own experiences!)

[i'll give my own answer when i'm not lazy lol, and maybe think of more questions. you can suggest some that you have in mind too, and if you're not from asia you can ask questions from your perspective!]
Last edited by zoocyte on Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
comms
hello, call me koga or zoo!
arcanthera adoptsmy arcanthera storageoff-oekaki gallery
zoocyte

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: tell me about your country and cultural experience!

Postby zoocyte » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:40 pm

this is going to be a wip post for my own answers!

username: zoocyte
      region: southeast asia
      countries you've been to:
      languages you speak: english, filipino, the very barest fragments of hiligaynon
      naming.

my name’s pretty common, enough that i had someone in the same school with the exact first and last name as me (has led to some mixups in the past).

last names usually have filipino roots or spanish roots. common surnames include cruz, perez, torres, garcias, santos, gomez, reyes, salvador, santiago and others. biblical names are common, as well as spanish-based names. maria, jose, sophia, miguel, manuel, lorenzo and joseph are common names. surnames with native roots include bakunawa, balagtas, dimaano, galang, dalisay, macaraig, manalo, parungao, magboo, and others.

language.

culture.

geography.

social.

arts.

history.

country-specific.

share anything.

Last edited by zoocyte on Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
comms
zoocyte

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: tell me about your country and cultural experience!

Postby zoocyte » Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:15 pm

revising this thread so that it is open to anyone of any country! i'd love to hear what y'all have to say and share.

Last bumped by zoocyte on Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:15 pm.
comms
zoocyte

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me