Guide to CS Rarities *update in progress*

Discussion about the Pets, Items, Dress-ups, Events, Site, Forum or other CS features!

Re: Guide to CS Rarities

Postby Neoncherry64 » Thu May 20, 2021 12:39 pm

soccerali9 wrote:I just went through the Archive out of curiosity - it looks like 2021 has yet to see an "OMG so common" pet. How is that possible? I would think I should see more OMGSC pets than rares for the year. Does that mean less members are active in 2021 than in previous years?

I know it seems strange, but there’s actually very few OMGSC pets on the site. This may seem weird, but remember that rarities are given by the percent of users who have them. Nobody knows the % thresholds except for the developers, but it seems like nowadays there are very few pets that almost every user has!

2018 (and the first month of 2019) seems to have a disproportionate amount of OMGSC pets compared to other years. What this means, I don’t know. Maybe CS boomed in popularity after that point? Or maybe it was because of the rarity change in 2019?
Neoncherry64

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Asvoria » Sun May 30, 2021 6:18 pm

Neoncherry64 wrote:
soccerali9 wrote:I just went through the Archive out of curiosity - it looks like 2021 has yet to see an "OMG so common" pet. How is that possible? I would think I should see more OMGSC pets than rares for the year. Does that mean less members are active in 2021 than in previous years?

I know it seems strange, but there’s actually very few OMGSC pets on the site. This may seem weird, but remember that rarities are given by the percent of users who have them. Nobody knows the % thresholds except for the developers, but it seems like nowadays there are very few pets that almost every user has!

2018 (and the first month of 2019) seems to have a disproportionate amount of OMGSC pets compared to other years. What this means, I don’t know. Maybe CS boomed in popularity after that point? Or maybe it was because of the rarity change in 2019?

I seem to remember that statistically, 2017 was the time when the site was most active? It might be just that there are less users around to actually adopt pets, so there are less pets getting into circulation in comparison to actual users.
If more users were active or more new members joined, that ration of pet:users could change as more pets are adopted in general.

Also, who knows what rarity gamble games the mods play with their monthly adopts?
Asvoria

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lennie » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:44 am

friendly bump c:
|x|x|x|x|x|x|x|
|x|x|x┌─────────────┐
|x|x|x|x|they / he | trades
|x|x|x||||||||||||||cs help
|x|x|x└─────────────┘
|x|x|||"the hunt is everything,
|xand the pack is always ready
"
Lennie
General Helper

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby W0LF » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:31 pm

Full support for the
Store Pet Rarity List, specifically!!
👍
Non other like it. That's unique!

Thanks for providing evidence!!
(& the picture format) ❤️

Fantastic! ⭐🌟⭐🌟⭐

I am "on the spectrum"
& I will be your ally,
though "straight I am"
(in my best Yoda voice).

Play?

Darts? Billiards?
Limited edition.

Fun facts.

No exclusion.

Also, still attempting to "socialize"
. . .
W0LF

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Raire » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:05 pm

Neoncherry64 wrote:

"OMG so common" as a rarity was never supposed to be used for most of the pets.
When it was first introduced, Nick showed us the amounts of pets per rarity:

Forum/viewtopic.php?p=39574185#p39574185
OMG so common:
Very common:
Common:
Uncommon:
Rare:
Very rare:
OMG so rare:
Before:
After:
_________ Image

# If you have any question or problem, please send us a help ticket

:: avatar picture by Tanja Askani :: signature by Jayfrost ::
Raire
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rekkovi » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:20 am

Neoncherry64 wrote:

I’m not that knowledgeable on CS rarities so this is just a guess, or a theory if you will, but here: the one time where there were the most people in the forums, ever, was on december 18th of 2017. My guess is that a lot of people heard of the website because of the dec 18th event, or they came back after months or years of inactivity for the event. Then these new and returned users stayed, so more people than usual went on to adopt litters when january of 2018 started. If more users adopt, then maybe pets that would have normally been very common or common had they been released in another year ended up as omgsc because so many people adopted… then through 2018 the boom must’ve slowly lost its effect, with older users going on another hiatus and newer players maybe realizing they dont like the game this much, until in early 2019 the number of players adopting went back to “normal”.

Again, this is just a theory based on the forum numbers. I could totally be wrong!
ImageImage
she/her • young adult
rekkovi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Asvoria » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:01 pm

rekkovi wrote:I’m not that knowledgeable on CS rarities so this is just a guess, or a theory if you will, but here: the one time where there were the most people in the forums, ever, was on december 18th of 2017. My guess is that a lot of people heard of the website because of the dec 18th event, or they came back after months or years of inactivity for the event. Then these new and returned users stayed, so more people than usual went on to adopt litters when january of 2018 started. If more users adopt, then maybe pets that would have normally been very common or common had they been released in another year ended up as omgsc because so many people adopted… then through 2018 the boom must’ve slowly lost its effect, with older users going on another hiatus and newer players maybe realizing they dont like the game this much, until in early 2019 the number of players adopting went back to “normal”.

Again, this is just a theory based on the forum numbers. I could totally be wrong!

Sounds just fine to me as what you're saying is what I've gradually found out over the last couple of years. CS player numbers are dwindling with more new games to play, social media becoming more accessible and older, frequent players maturing or simply having no time to spent as they used to 5-10ish years ago.
CS has a hard time finding new players, as the website has a certain appeal to it that one must value and otherwise it's just called "out of style", looking more like a relict to treasure than something frequently updated (although the mods are improving and becoming more transparent). This game wasn't made to last so long and it still surprises me that it goes on!
Asvoria

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Asvoria » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:58 am

Happy bump!
Asvoria

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hermione Granger » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:53 am

Sorry if this is the wrong thread.

Why are 08 advent pets worth lots of regular 08s of the same rarity? I don't get it. Is it demand? (just treat me like a noob. My acct is 2011 but I logged back on a couple of months back)
I really love anime, manga, and fantasy novels.
ImageImage
Hermione Granger

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Asvoria » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:41 pm

Hermione Granger wrote:Sorry if this is the wrong thread.

Why are 08 advent pets worth lots of regular 08s of the same rarity? I don't get it. Is it demand? (just treat me like a noob. My acct is 2011 but I logged back on a couple of months back)

Some 08 pets are rarer than others due to their rarity alone and the market demand adds it's fair share on top.
This thread gives you a good overview of the basic rarity value of all pets in comparison by ranking pets on how early they changed their rarity tag to a "higher" tier (Rare -> Very Rare for example) and if you check it with the values that you find on the market, then you can estimate how much demand plays into it's current price.
For example, if you see two pets that are listed on the same tier on this thread but find that others ask for an add-on for one of their pets, then you can conclude that this must be due to demand.
This demand developed over the large span of years that some of these older pets are in circulation and changes with supply (hoarders/18th decembers) and hypes due to design. I neither understand how some of these ridiculous values came into being and I often just ask my trading partners why they chose to ask for this price. Unsurprisingly, the most heard answer is "that's what others ask for it too" and that explains how the vicious demand circle remains stable.
Hope this helps to clear up the situation a bit!
Asvoria

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me