๐Ÿ˜ World Elephant Day! [Elephant Fun Facts and Discussion]

Discussion about the Pets, Items, Dress-ups, Events, Site, Forum or other CS features!

๐Ÿ˜ World Elephant Day! [Elephant Fun Facts and Discussion]

Postby Anouki » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:00 pm

๐Ÿ˜ WORLD ELEPHANT DAY 2020 ๐Ÿ˜

Today on August 12th we celebrate the World Elephant Day!
The World Elephant Day was created in 2011 by Canadian filmmaker Patricia Sims and Thailandโ€™s Elephant Reintroduction Foundation and reminds us how amazing elephants are and how they are endangered and need to be protected.

Let's start with some elephant fun facts!

Elephants are the largest living land animal.

There are 3 species,
    the African Savannah Elephant (up to 8.000kg / 9 tons and 4m / 13 ft shoulder height)
    the African Forest Elephant (a bit smaller than the savannah elephant)
    the Asian Elephant (up to 5.500kg / 6 tons, and 3.5m / 11.4 ft shoulder height)

Elephants are herbivores (vegetarians), eating a diet of grass, fruit, leaves, twigs, and tree bark.

An adult elephant consumes about 100kg of food and 100 litres (26 gallons) of water per day.

The ears of african elephants are larger than the ones of the asian elephant to dissipate body heat, by flapping their ears they can cool down the veins behind their ears.

African elephant ->

An elephant can lift up to 250kg / 550lbs with its trunk.

The trunk is used to breath, smell, drink (it fits up to 10 litres / 2.6 gallons), eat (to shove food into the mouth) and hug.

The trunk is very mobile and sensitive and consists of 40.000 muscles, and is used like a hand (they can pick up coins or crack open peanuts). Furthermore elephants may greet each other by intertwining their trunks, almost like a human handshake!

An elephants tusks are made from ivory and are used to dig, defend themselves, attack and collect food by scraping off bark from trees.

Elephants live in small family groups led by female elephants and are very social animals that form strong bonds.

Newborn elephants weigh around 100kg / 220lbs and are nursed by their mother for around 4 years.

<- Asian Elephant

It's not easy for them to lay down and get up, so they sleep around 4 hours a night laying down and doze during the day while standing.

Elephants can travel over 80km a day and when it rains, their large footprints act as water collectors and serve as water sources for smaller animals.

Unfortunately, elephants are endangered.

Both African and Asian elephants are endangered, but there are less Asian ones around today.

Poachers hunt elephants for their ivory tusks. Ivory is extremely expensive, its price often exceeding the price of gold.
In addition to that, elephants also experience habitation loss. With the land being cleared for agriculture elephants can't find enough food to eat.

Toursism is also a threat to elephants. Especially Asian elephants are made to perform for toursists. The animals that are used for photos, riding tours, etc. are often held in bad conditions.

How elephants are protected and how they can be enjoyed ethically.

Luckily, many people and organizations work hard to protect these majestic animals!
National parks in Africa offer tourists the opportunity to experience elephants in an ethical way; from far away during safaris. The money brought in by the tourists is used to protect the animals from poachers and to treat sick elephants.
There are also elephant sanctuaries which take care of orphaned animals and ones rescued from circuses and similar tourist attractions. Tourists can visit these sanctuaries for some days and even work there to help out!

Generally speaking; elephants are best enjoyed from far away in their natural habitat.
Attractions that offer you to touch or ride elephants often lead to mistreatment of the animals.

What you can do to help.

To gain space for coffee plantations, elephant's habitats often get destroyed - buying certified fair trade coffee is a way to make sure no habitat got destroyed.
Be aware of how elephants are treated in zoos and circuses (there are zoos that allow elephants to live species-appropriate
but many still don't give elephants enough space!).
Support organizations that actively work to protect elephants, like the African Wildlife Foundation or the Sheldrick Wildlife Trust.

Let's discuss!

Did you have an experience with an elephant? Have you maybe donated to charities or have a favourite charity?
Do you live in a country where elephants are native in?
What was your favourite elephant fun fact?
Please share your opinions and experiences with us!

Sources.

List of ethical elephant sanctuaries - responsibletravel.com
How to enjoy elephants - nationalgeographic.com
All about elephants - britannica.com
Anouki | she/her | artist

cs discord | toyhouse | seamallows | pantry puffs

discord Anouki#6655
ImageImageImage___
Anouki
Official Artist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: ๐Ÿ˜ World Elephant Day! [Elephant Fun Facts and Discussion

Postby Shian » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:58 pm

AWWW YEAH! Random mini holiday days are back! WOOO!
ImageImage
Come buy old rare pets in bulk for gems!
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Seasonal » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:09 pm

I love these new items!

โ•”โ•โ•โ•*.ยท:ยท.โ˜ฝโœง โœฆ โœงโ˜พ.ยท:ยท.*โ•โ•โ•โ•—
about - characters - trades
need to contact CS staff?
submit a help ticket here!
โ•šโ•โ•โ•*.ยท:ยท.โ˜ฝโœง โœฆ โœงโ˜พ.ยท:ยท.*โ•โ•โ•โ•
Seasonal
Admin Assistant

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Burrito Bunny » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:12 pm

The backgrounds are beautiful TuT

Thank you Anouki for the lovely surprise!
Burrito Bunny
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby forest. » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:16 pm

i love these items and, more importantly, i love that cs is bringing attention to how these beautiful creatures need our help. thank you so much for all your hard work <3
forest.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby yumekari » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:14 pm

This is extremely informative! I don't have experience with elephants myself, but I appreciate the fun facts and ways to help! It's definitely an important issue and I think it's great that CS is drawing attention to this.

โ˜…
โ˜…
โ˜…
โ˜…
โ˜…
โ˜…
โ˜…
โ˜…
โ˜…
โ˜…
โ•‘
โ•‘
โ•‘
โ•‘
โ•‘
โ•‘
โ•‘
โ•‘
โ•‘
โ•‘
โ•‘
โ•‘
โ•‘
yumekari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~SheWolf~ » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:23 pm

This is awesome Anouki! Thanks for spreading awareness and sharing all of this information!
Elephants can travel over 80km a day and when it rains, their large footprints act as water collectors and serve as water sources for smaller animals.

this fact about their footprints was very interesting!

(also absolutely love the items) โ™ฅ
โ”Œโ”€โ”
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚

โ””โ”€โ”˜
x
x
โ”Œโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚
๏ผด๏ผก๏ผต๏ผฒ๏ผต๏ผณ โ™‰
she/her
adult
๐ฉ๐ก๐จ๐ญ๐จ๐ ๐ซ๐š๐ฉ๐ก๐ฒ, ๐ฉ๐š๐ข๐ง๐ญ๐ข๐ง๐ , ๐ฆ๐ฎ๐ฌ๐ข๐œ
๐•”๐•™๐•’๐•ค๐•– ๐•’๐•ฅ๐•๐•’๐•Ÿ๐•ฅ๐•š๐•” โ™ซ
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚

โ””โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”˜
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚
remember to breathe โ™ฅ
โ”‚
โ”Œโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚
Imagex
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚
โ”‚

โ””โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”˜

petrichor (๐˜ฏ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ฏ) : ๐š ๐ฉ๐ฅ๐ž๐š๐ฌ๐š๐ง๐ญ ๐ฌ๐ฆ๐ž๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐ญ๐ก๐š๐ญ ๐Ÿ๐ซ๐ž๐ช๐ฎ๐ž๐ง๐ญ๐ฅ๐ฒ ๐š๐œ๐œ๐จ๐ฆ๐ฉ๐š๐ง๐ข๐ž๐ฌ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐Ÿ๐ข๐ซ๐ฌ๐ญ ๐ซ๐š๐ข๐ง ๐š๐Ÿ๐ญ๐ž๐ซ ๐š ๐ฅ๐จ๐ง๐  ๐ฉ๐ž๐ซ๐ข๐จ๐ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ฐ๐š๐ซ๐ฆ, ๐๐ซ๐ฒ ๐ฐ๐ž๐š๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ซ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Image Image

~SheWolf~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby smile3933 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:27 pm

love this awareness & the items so much <3 thank you for all your hard work!
smile3933

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby โ™ฅRaspberryRedPandaโ™ฅ » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:01 pm

Iโ€™m always excited anytime a new background is released, so this was quite the pleasant surprise ^^

An adult elephant consumes about 100kg of food and 100 litres (26 gallons) of water per day.

Sounds like me after Thanksgiving ๐Ÿ˜ฐ

The trunk is very mobile and sensitive and consists of 40.000 muscles, and is used like a hand (they can pick up coins or crack open peanuts). Furthermore elephants may greet each other by intertwining their trunks, almost like a human handshake!

Thatโ€™s a lot of muscles! I always knew elephants used their trunks as grabby-grabbers, but I wasnโ€™t aware it was so hand-y!
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage Credits: ยฉ ยฉ ยฉ
โ™ฅRaspberryRedPandaโ™ฅ

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Serious. » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:22 pm

This is so awesome, I love seeing CS get creative with holidays!

Elephants in general are really cool animals; admittedly I don't pay attention to them too often but after reading the facts, I feel like I'm more interested in the species. I'll have to read up on them sometime.

I'll be watching my coffee from now on, too (although I rarely buy it, so it doesn't matter too much).
โ•”xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxโ•—
Hey, I'm Serious! I'm an adult girl
who loves collecting plushies
and drawing!
โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€
โ˜† avatar credit โ˜†
โ•šxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxโ•
Serious.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me