Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

I lied, it's not inktober. by Vampiric

Artist Vampiric [gallery]
Time spent 2 hours, 14 minutes
Drawing sessions 4
59 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

I lied, it's not inktober.

Postby Vampiric » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:41 am

The Beach Stranger wrote:We were analysing our first and second data samples from the analysis instrument when we heard a knocking on the exterior hull door. All our heads shot up in unison, and we looked at one another. How was someone knocking when we were all present and accounted for? Warily, we armed ourselves as we were already in our suits (having gotten prepared for another walk outside), and approached the door to our craft. Garn and Mal flanked the door whilst I pushed it open.

We were utterly stunned to find an adult from the herd stood about a meter away from us, meandering to and fro a little in slight wariness on its feet but it's gaze locked on us in determination.

We muttered quietly between ourselves for a moment, questioning what was happening, what it wanted and.. more importantly.. how it had managed to knock.

Despite its wariness, it tilted its head as we spoke, it's ears rotating independantly as it tracked our sounds and movements. Was this creature more intelligent than we thought?

I reached out my hand but Garn grabbed my wrist, telling me that touching it was a bad idea. We had no idea if it would be dangerous or not. I retorted that we won't know if we don't try.. and we had seen very little aggressive or dominant creature behaviour from their species at all until this point. He reluctantly let go of my wrist, and I very timidly descended the steps of our craft to get closer.

The creature backed up but stayed within reach, and I tentatively put my fist out tightly scrunched up. I didn't want to lose any fingers were it to bite clean through, after all. It craned its slender neck and sniffed at my hand for a moment. Internally at this point I was both overjoyed but also terribly frightened. When it was busy inspecting me, I noted that the markings.. whilst similar amongst the others of the herd.. were unique variations from specimen to specimen. This one had a different marking on its broad chest to ones i've looked at before.

I opened my hand and relaxed my fingers, it sniffed at my hand again. Then promptly extended a long, purple tongue and licked at my palm. Gross!

The boys laughed behind me but I had other thoughts on my mind. I said we should name it, as it was an undocumented species. They agreed. I managed a momentary rub on the snout of the creature before it turned and walked away, making some noises of communication to members of the herd nearby. It had not gone unnoticed by us that there was 'backup' in direct line of sight the entire time.

After talking amongst ourselves, we decided to combine some words chosen from our many native tongues together to name the species. We settled on O-Merus Advena, which is a mix of Latin and U'Rekan. The name translates to 'Beach Stranger'.

From this point on, at varying intervals, there would be a curious knocking on the door of our craft. There would always be an adult stood outside. We came to understand that the knocking was them rapping the hull with their horn to get our attention. We began to speculate that they were greeting us, or deciphering our threat level to the group.

Even as we prepared Garn for his first attempt at diving into the ocean of this unchartered world, the creatures look on in curiosity. Growing more confident and decreasing the space between us.

I joked that as soon as Garn was submerged, they would probably be swimming alongside him and checking him out. And probably finding his sluggish swimming rather amusing.

I'm so glad I came on this voyage, and though our time here is limited and we will return.. I feel that myself, perhaps even other teams, will be sent here sooner rather than later to expand on what we've done.

And perhaps make friends with the O-Merus Advena. I truly hope a day like this comes.

I wonder how long it'll be til someone mentions this piece in the staff discussion thread. So far, 2 and a half 5 hours 14 hrs and not a word.You guys are not on the ball im js :P

Also the whole pet is actually based on the crab existing. Interesting! Perhaps you should ask me why the crab is even there?
@ @ @ @ @
Vampiric
Official Artist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: hm

Postby SCAVNGRRR » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:42 am

>:(
well now i'm following you i just want to see the finished thing lol
hi i'm redacted man #3289643 and I like scavenger animals

ImageImage

i used to be called ☆sparkle☆dog☆, ✦hyaenidae✦, and probably some other things i don't remember uhhh

my sig is ugly and you know it uwo
SCAVNGRRR

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Grill, » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:43 am

sneak 100

#1 Corpse Husband enjoyer since 2016
Don't pm/ask me about commissions
Grill,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Vampiric » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:49 am

-sneakily laughing in the bg whilst rubbing my hands together-
@ @ @ @ @
Vampiric
Official Artist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby starpups16 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:54 am

NOoOoOoOoOoOoOo! *Dramaticly kneeling on ground shaking fist at sky, while raining*

Icon by leaves
starpups16

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SCAVNGRRR » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:55 am

starpups16 wrote:NOoOoOoOoOoOoOo! *Dramaticly kneeling on ground shaking fist at sky, while raining*

hello darkness my old friend... I've come to speak with you again
hi i'm redacted man #3289643 and I like scavenger animals

ImageImage

i used to be called ☆sparkle☆dog☆, ✦hyaenidae✦, and probably some other things i don't remember uhhh

my sig is ugly and you know it uwo
SCAVNGRRR

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: I lied, it's not inktober.

Postby JK341 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:57 pm

Heheh, me thinks that most of the detectives dont check out the art boards enough. xD I kinda suspected this outcome to be yours the moment your story mentioned creatures with hooves, though. c:
Adult | He/Him

JK341

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Aliria » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:12 am

Hey, I would've checked at rollover if I hadn't been busy last night! So... Why's the crab there?
I'll send out my soul
To worlds more beautiful

Aliria

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Vampiric » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:49 am

Aliria wrote:Hey, I would've checked at rollover if I hadn't been busy last night! So... Why's the crab there?

December 10th, 2018
I had a weird cs dream (nightmare really) In the dream, I had made my staff pet.

It was a crab.

But when the staff blanket released, my pet wasn't in it. It wasn't even set up as a growth in the blanket.
I was furious, and I started berating Sorren about it in my dream. I then continued to be furious and yelled I was going to find Tess to fix it.

I then woke up.

Yes this genuinely happened. It's the sort of thing that I would have posted on the CS Dream/Nightmare thread but this was a year in preparation staff pet idea to include the crab purely for this reason and couldn't spoil it. I tried several designs incorporating crabs in some way before settling on an alien planet with crab-like creatures as part of the fauna. The staff pet became a predator of the crab-thing. The story you've been reading was mostly just for my own amusement and hopeful enjoyment of others :)
@ @ @ @ @
Vampiric
Official Artist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ravenblack » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:20 pm

I don't always read the story behind a staff pet, but when I do.... it's Vampiric's.

All kidding aside, I thoroughly enjoyed your sci-fi story and the pet you created, the little crab sidekick is just the cherry on top.
ravenblack

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me