The Artist Army

Join or create fan clubs about your favorite things!

Re: The Artist Army

Postby WazzinGator » Tue May 29, 2012 1:47 pm

The_Tide_Keeper wrote:New thread :D I'll take a break from stalking ~
WazzinGator wrote:
Hello~ ...
Did this the other day:
http://www.chickensmoothie.com/oekaki/image/image.php?id=991096&size=large&format=auto&rev=5

It's definitely the best cat lines I've ever done. Any feedback is highly appreciated. Design belongs to Nimaine... I really wanted to add a background to this but Nimaine ordered it with out a bg. 8|

Muggafin had an excellent point, I'm going to start with saying I haven't drawn a cat in months so please take the images she gave you over this red line as far as the pose goes. Anyways, I redlined your image for you. My hand writing is very bad so I just noted them:
A The neck couldn't support the head, cats (especially the American short hair) have a lot of muscles, and aside from muscular legs you'll find that the neck is usually very sturdy.
B There are two points, one the back leg is longer and then that since the front paw is up the back must be up too! :).
C The two back legs should be still in this pose (I think XD). It would be the equivalent of you standing on one leg and having the other way behind you, you'd fall. Or at least that was my reasoning, I think that the two need to be firmly planted so that it wont fall.
D The watch needs to be higher up, with the way it was it would be stepped on each time that foot goes down and probably wouldn't stay on for very long lol. It helps me to compare to people, so that would be the equivalent of an ankle bracelet around your hill or even your foot.

EDIT:
Oh and I did this person in about an hour and I'm very pleased :D Red line/crit welcome, I experimented with some blues and purples:
Click

I understand your points, and I agree with all of them. I will keep them in mind for the next time I attempt a walking pose, as that was my very first. c: Thanks for the redline!

muggafinn wrote:@WazzinGator: That's really lovely! Just one thing seems a little off with the walk cycle, but I have a solution, I think. You may not have heard of them before, buy Muybridge walks are extremely helpful!
http://www.artsconnected.org/media/4d/a ... /98331.jpg
That's one there, of a tiger, but I find that one the most helpful for feline poses, and I use it for reference quite a bit. You'll notice that, if this cat was taking a step forward, with its back leg extended in such a manner, the front paw on the same side of the body would be just about to lift off the ground, not in mid-air. Sorry if it's confusing, just take a look at the link, it's one of the best tools for drawing felines walking.
I guess I could LS a bit, doing backgrounds: https://join.me/845-504-580

Thanks for that. Cx What I realize now is that I can't be bothered to change it..

lfsn wrote:@WazzinGator: I love the lines and design! Very nice! One thing I noticed is the back of the neck should be curved outward instead of in. I am not very good with cat anatomy so I could be wrong. X3 Very good though!

I finished this image earlier this afternoon.
If you have any comments or critique, please it on this thread or the image thread. ^.^ Thanks!

Thank you! Yes, I think you're right. Only I don't know how I would change that, really.
Love your drawing, it's awesome! One thing I would say is that the background is a very similar texture to the feathers, so it starts to blend a bit.. I think it's good to have contrasting textures to let the subject pop out of the background, but that might not be what you're going for..I dunno.

Just finished this. c:
It's really bugging me that her chest looks like a head... any way I could stop that from happening without adding too much detail or distracting from the tail?
;w;
WazzinGator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby brian emo » Tue May 29, 2012 1:56 pm

@The_Tide_Keeper~ The eyes look small and too far apart imo. There should be about one "eye" of distance between the eyes.
@WazzinGator~ Maybe move the hair *up? Think about where the top of her head would be.

Medusa's Cascade- It seems really fat and short- was that on purpose? You always seem to draw short, chubby animals- maybe you could try making some kind of tall lean animal like a fox or maned wolf? I'd love to see you give it a go ^^

I feel bad because I didn't see this before. D:
I tried to draw a fox, though... anyone have crits?
Last edited by brian emo on Tue May 29, 2012 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brian emo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WazzinGator » Tue May 29, 2012 2:02 pm

Medusa's Cascade wrote:@The_Tide_Keeper~ The eyes look small and too far apart imo. There should be about one "eye" of distance between the eyes.
@WazzinGator~ Maybe move the hair out? Think about where the top of her head would be.

Medusa's Cascade- It seems really fat and short- was that on purpose? You always seem to draw short, chubby animals- maybe you could try making some kind of tall lean animal like a fox or maned wolf? I'd love to see you give it a go ^^

Maybe I'll do that .3.
The fox is adorable, but it is a little too chubby to be a fox..unless it was a baby fox or something?
;w;
WazzinGator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mistywren » Tue May 29, 2012 2:12 pm

@The_Tide_Keeper - Hope it helps Totally fail with the shoulder on my part but with the direction of his face it should be more behind him instead of facing the viewer.
mistywren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The_Tide_Keeper » Tue May 29, 2012 2:17 pm

Medusa, o.o eyes always bug me because of that. I know I've heard it before but I forgot, and couldn't figure out what that space should be proportional to. By the way, I love the chibi. Very cute :3. I do agree with wazzingator though, maybe if the stomach line came up about one tuft of fur it would look more sleek and fox like. Even if not, very cute and cuddly n.n

MIstywren, thank you so much. I'm very visual and... just thanks. This is wonderful.
***So, we've got a sun jewel, toxics, balloon dogs, you name it and 15 different characters. If you enter our contest. You've got a good chance of winning something. ***

────────────────────────────────
T I D E

[ WIN RARES LIST | Art Shop | The Artist Army

in Just-
spring         
when the world is mud-luscious the little
lame balloonman
whistles far and wee
and eddieandbill come running from marbles and
piracies and it's
spring
when the world is puddle-wonderful
the queer
old balloonman whistles far and wee
and bettyandisbel come dancing
from hop-scotch android jump-rope and
it's spring and the goat-footed
balloonMan whistlesfarandwee
───────────────────────────────
The_Tide_Keeper

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mistywren » Tue May 29, 2012 2:18 pm

@The_Tide_Keeper - I'm exactly the same. If I wasn't to clear on my scribbles let me know <3
mistywren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby brian emo » Tue May 29, 2012 2:19 pm

The_Tide_Keeper wrote:Medusa, o.o eyes always bug me because of that. I know I've heard it before but I forgot, and couldn't figure out what that space should be proportional to. By the way, I love the chibi. Very cute :3. I do agree with wazzingator though, maybe if the stomach line came up about one tuft of fur it would look more sleek and fox like. Even if not, very cute and cuddly n.n

MIstywren, thank you so much. I'm very visual and... just thanks. This is wonderful.

Thanks ^^
& no problem. C:
brian emo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Fat Unicorn » Tue May 29, 2012 7:42 pm

lfsn wrote:I finished this image earlier this afternoon.
If you have any comments or critique, please it on this thread or the image thread. ^.^ Thanks!

Wow, I love this ;u; <3 The use of "murky" colors in the background really brings in a nice touch to compliment the bird's dark but bright colors.

Medusa's Cascade wrote:I tried to draw a fox, though... anyone have crits?

Foxes usually have leaner, more sly heads than wolves, with long/wide ears, so you'd need to lengthen up the ears a bit. The tail would need to be a bit longer, and the belly made a bit thinner. The back leg closest to us seems to be a too fluffy, there's a bit of a curve in a fox leg. ^^;
It's really cute though Medusa. If you could hug pixels, I would hug that. xD

Thanks for your crit/redline mistywren, it's helped me a lot.
And also thanks for the crit/compliments Summer Storm, lululizzy23, Wolf Blood Song, Wild-x-Beauty, xX-Nix-Xx, and -Solembum. Here's the new (and improved xD) Verison:
[Full picture here.]

^ I'll take a clearer picture tomorrow if this is too dim for your eyes. ^_^;
Fat Unicorn

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby emberonis » Wed May 30, 2012 5:21 am

@Lfsn: I LOVE IT. It's so pretty!

Let me just say that I LOVE the content aware feature in photoshop CS5.

The above is the original. =3

I'm having fun exploring Photoshop... I don;t think I'll ever know very much about it. There's too much to learn.
... hey I'm Neel! I'm a preschool teacher by day
... with a background in illustration and graphic design.
... I drop by CS from time to time to doodle, so feel free to
... send me a PM and I'll get back to you when I can!

Neel - they/she - cAAAAAAATS
emberonis

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby shibuki » Wed May 30, 2012 5:23 am

Medusa's Cascade wrote:

This is so cute it gave me a cavity *u*

All I can say is that it should be slightly leaner, and foxes have longer, skinnier muzzles. Also, I think the tail could be slightly longer

but yes, absolutley adorable <33

---

It's time for animaniiacsss

god I love that show so much

If anyone has tips for the style, that would be great C:

And I only used a ref for the character design, not the pose
(★╹▽╹)/ bec | they/them | lesbian | ISFP \(╹▽╹★)

☆ today's a great day for sun, smiling, and supporting girls who like girls ☆

characters | artshop

shibuki

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me