The Artist Army

Join or create fan clubs about your favorite things!

Re: The Artist Army

Postby Audrey_Bee » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:07 am

Silverhart wrote:@LongLiveRegina I'm glad I could help! And yes, good supplies are always worth a few extra dollars, but either way it's good to limit your palette when experimenting with a new medium, just so you can get a feel for it and learn how to blend and mix your own colors; practicing those techniques before adding more. In my experience it's a lot easier to add colors to your palette then take them away! ^^
I hope you find a pastel you like! Hard and soft pastels can be a little messy, but they are a lot of fun. So long as you lay down a scrap piece of paper or something, clean up is a lot easier than, say oil paints. You might want to consider using spray fixative on the finished pieces to keep them from smudging, but it depends on your preference. I typically don't; I don't have experience with soft pastels, but my hard pastels seem to not smudge very much as long as they're on a good heavy paper. Put a piece of deli paper over them and they seem to hold up pretty well.

That's very true!! There's a lot of colours in my coloured pencil supply that I don't use, although it's nice to have that variety when you're used to the media. I'll definitely start with something small(: yess haha I remember the mess well, although that was in a class room where I didn't really care about mess, I'll make sure to get some scrap paper !
I'll definitely look into that if I enjoy it as much as I did, I usually get all special equipment if I'm comfortable with the media first, I didn't know pastels had setting spray! Thank you very much for the advice !
Audrey_Bee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Audrey_Bee » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:21 am

non wrote:Hey everyone.
Does anyone else occasionally feel like maybe their art is just a terrible bag of trash and nobody is telling them?
I feel like no one ever acknowledges my art unless I say it's terrible, which I don't actually believe, so I was wondering if maybe my art is just terrible and no one ever acknowledges it because it's just that terrible.
I'm not asking for everyone to say that my art is amazing, but I am asking for ways to help myself out of this psychological rut.

Hey! Don't worry, I get that all the time ! Sometimes people find it difficult expressing themselves to you with how good your art Is without sounding really sarcastic, or maybe they're not that into art and don't understand the effort that goes into it. But either way, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, if you like your work then don't listen to anyone else you know? I work purely on other peoples opinions so hearing someone just go "aw that's good" without much interest can definitely make me second guess how good my work is but then I remember how happy it makes me feel when I look at it and say "I made that". I always look at it as a challenge, continue making new art until they're speechless !

But don't feel like you need other people to decide if your work is good or not, look at Vincent Van Gogh, everyone hated his work but that never stopped him from making brilliant paintings. Honestly so mind blowing, even better in person !

So don't go by what other people say, it's your art work. Maybe show us some? Id love to see your work! I used to always post my art on here (: ♡♡ gonna start again!
Audrey_Bee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silverhart » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:04 am

Does anyone else occasionally feel like maybe their art is just a terrible bag of trash and nobody is telling them?
I feel like no one ever acknowledges my art unless I say it's terrible, which I don't actually believe, so I was wondering if maybe my art is just terrible and no one ever acknowledges it because it's just that terrible.
I'm not asking for everyone to say that my art is amazing, but I am asking for ways to help myself out of this psychological rut.

If you're happy with your work, that's all that matters. And if you're not (and let's face it, the majority of us are not), then look for ways to improve your work. Just imagine if you put all that energy worrying over whether your art was good, and put it towards improving your work! You're always going to worry - artists are their own worst critics - but don't let that worry stop you from drawing. You'll never know how good you can be if you let yourself get stuck.

Chances are good that you judge your own work too harshly, but likewise you probably know best what areas could use improvement.

To be honest, the majority of people wouldn't know what makes a drawing or painting "good" on a technical level. Even a lot of artists struggle to put into words all the components that make a piece good or bad. If someone doesn't know about art, doesn't know about the style or technique you're going for, the level of skill you're at, or is simply bad at discriminating what does and doesn't work, they're not really going to have any way of judging whether it's good or bad. It's more likely that people aren't acknowledging your art for those reasons, rather than that they think it's simply terrible.
Silverhart

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby non » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:15 am

thank you to both of you!
solid advice
william <3

HI I FINALLY GOT ACCESS TO THIS ACCOUNT AGAIN AFTER YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!! i don't think any of my friends are on here anymore..? but this is so nostalgic to me. i probably won't ever participate in the trading again, but i'll try to be around on the oekaki boards n maybe giving my stuff away in various ways<3
non

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mythic » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:52 am

Recently finished the image in the attachments. It's a pain in the butt to upload it just to post it here so sorry guys.
Attachments
IMG_20180419_155131_699.jpg
IMG_20180419_155131_699.jpg (347.72 KiB) Viewed 155 times
Mythic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby adelaie ♡ » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:49 am

Mythic - that looks stunning! I love the detail that you put into the eyes! I also really like how it's a sketch but still super clean, I'm obessed o:

--

I just recently got back into digital art after taking a 2/3 year hiatus from it.
      This is my first picture ever drawn digitally vs the most recent piece I've done;
      first ever doggo (2011) . most recent (2018)
      Critiques/Comments appreciated! I know the backgrounds in both are mediocre, but I'm starting to practice different styles until I find one that I feel fits my style ^-^

╔═════════════════════════╗

"i get back there every now and then
turn a few steers and rope and pen
just a couple of days and I'm gone
again, chasin' this old six train, oh
but I sure love to be where cowboys
are king."
➶➴➶➴➶➴➶➴➶➴➶➴➶➴➶➴➶➴➶➴➶➴➶➴
dee ♡ she/her ♡ capricorn ♡ yee:haw

╚═════════════════════════╝

adelaie ♡

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Stonefly » Tue May 15, 2018 3:22 pm

@Adelaie - I love the improvement! and I love your current are now, it looks so nice. I can't say much about the canine, but my suggestion is for the background work on keeping the water and ground separate. It looks like it blends a little too well and the dog looks unnatural on the water.

@mythic - Oh my goodness, that headshot is amazing! Jealous of your ability to draw large animal faces!

Hey guys, wondering if I might be able to get some help with this piece, redline would be really appreciated. ? I am working on this as my 'welcome post' for my HARGP horse and rider. Human anatomy is killing me slowly but I am also struggling more than normal with the horse. New pose and the legs just look really off.
I really need to shrink down the guy, or make the horse a little longer because he is only meant to just see over the withers lol
▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

"I always feel like I am fighting, but I never know what"

▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

-- ToyHouse -- Free art requests -- Commissions Open --
Stonefly | Adult | Semi Inactive

▾|
▴|
▾|
▴|
▾|
▴|
▾|
▴|
▾|
▴|
▾|
▴|
▾|
▴|
▾|
Stonefly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silverhart » Wed May 16, 2018 2:38 pm

Red Hood wrote:
Hey guys, wondering if I might be able to get some help with this piece, redline would be really appreciated. ? I am working on this as my 'welcome post' for my HARGP horse and rider. Human anatomy is killing me slowly but I am also struggling more than normal with the horse. New pose and the legs just look really off.
I really need to shrink down the guy, or make the horse a little longer because he is only meant to just see over the withers lol

I'm not sure how good I am with art advice, but I'll give it a try.

First off, your horse is adorable. ^^ They're just got such a cute look about them. The length of the legs looks pretty good. The main problem I'm seeing is the legs are too thick and lack definition. Studying horse anatomy you'll find they're very oddly shaped animals - far odder than we give them credit for. They're very angular, bony creatures, which makes drawing them difficult. And they have these large heavy bodies, but their legs in comparison are quite thin. The lower portion of the legs of horses (the cannon bone - which in humans is actually our metacarpals and covered by the fat and skin of our palm/foot), is basically just bone and tendon covered with a bit of skin. There's a rule in nature that says forms taper as they move away from the main body. They bulge again at joints, and continue to taper. For example, your leg tapers down to your knee, from there your calf tapers down to your ankle - this is true of all appendages on all creatures, from your fingers, to the legs of a horse. So your horse's lower leg, beneath the joint should not be as thick as it's upper leg. The lifted back leg actually seems to follow this rule really well, though it could be thinner. It's the foreleg that seems to be the problem. The cannon should taper to the fetlock joint (in humans this joint is actually where the our fingers emerge from our palm). From there it tapers again down to the pastern and hoof. Seeing examples would probably be far more helpful, so I'm gonna break out the Da Vinci drawings again! Seriously though, old master sketches like these are among the best things an artist can study. Just look at how thin and bony the cannon is compared to the forearm.

I do believe that the perspective is off, but it's hard to tell with the person in the way. Either the horse is too short, or it's not foreshortened properly. I would recommend drawing perspective lines on the ground to get an idea of the plane the horse is standing on. You might want to move the drawing up a bit on your canvas if that's possible to do so. The back legs should line up with the forelegs. In this case it would be very helpful to find some reference of a horse standing in that position, or double check the reference you're using. I like to use reference to find the angles of the ground plane. Checking to make sure the feet on my drawing fall along the same angle as they do in a reference is extremely helpful.

As for the human, you fell into a trap that everyone falls into. And that is that you made his torso too long, and his legs too short. It's a really common mistake that everyone makes. Our brains like to assume that the upper part of the body is bigger because that's where our eyeline falls, and that's what we notice first about a person; their face, their clothing, what their arms are doing. In actuality, our legs generally make up half our total height. If you took a standing figure and divided it in two equal parts, the skull, rib cage and pelvis would make up the top half, and the entire bottom half would just be the legs. There's variations of course, but it's a good rule of thumb in drawing that the legs on a standing figure will start halfway down the body. I always start off a standing figure pose by finding the middle and placing a mark there to remind me.

I think it's really awesome that you're drawing horses and humans. Those have got to be among the hardest things to draw, but it's a very rewarding enterprise. If you can nail those two things there's really no creature you can't draw at that point. And drawing the two together is always an exercise in getting the size right. I can't really help much with size, since humans and horses both vary so widely in height, there's really no standard you can go off of. The only advice I can give is to find reference of people standing beside the breed you're drawing, and measure them comparatively. The same applies if you want to draw someone riding a horse. Also bear in mind that horse heights have changed over time - horses are generally taller now than they would've been in the past, and this is reflected in the art of the time. So bear this in mind when seeking out reference.

I hoped that helped in some way. I know it's a bit rambly, but hopefully it makes sense.
Silverhart

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hot Dad » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:35 am

the more u say it's terrible the more you'll believe what ur saying
be proud of your work, and tell people you like certain things - they'll reply back saying they do too. This is SO much more of a positive enforcer rather than going oh i hate this.. and ppl are like noo dont be sad i think its great. It's kind of putting them in the situation where they feel they have to compliment u to feel better. Bc people obv care about u and dont want u sad.
Don't get me wrong, its normal to not always be happy w work and say it. But its practice! No one cares if its not perfect but the artist!
I personally never enjoy it when other people voice a lot/often that they think their work is bad. No one likes their work all the time. Im sure ur work is great. All we gotta do is just keep practicing, and doing what we love.

Adelaie wrote:
      Mythic - that looks stunning! I love the detail that you put into the eyes! I also really like how it's a sketch but still super clean, I'm obessed o:

--

I just recently got back into digital art after taking a 2/3 year hiatus from it.
      This is my first picture ever drawn digitally vs the most recent piece I've done;
      first ever doggo (2011) . most recent (2018)
      Critiques/Comments appreciated! I know the backgrounds in both are mediocre, but I'm starting to practice different styles until I find one that I feel fits my style ^-^

Im LIVING for these improvement pictures! Well done!
┌──────────┐

└──────────┘Howdy boys. surprise! Papa Bless, everyone go and love me, yhupppo......
┌──────────┐
└──────────┘
┌──────────┐
└──────────┘
Hot Dad

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shoe. » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:49 pm

Hi all :)

Looking for comments on this (no crit please!)
https://sta.sh/2vcq1jz6j3t

Pls feed my ego no one else will
Im Shoe.!
I'm good at stuff

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
...............art by: PeanutButterRum
Shoe.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes