Artist Army {old thread}

Join or create fan clubs about your favorite things!

Re: Artist Army

Postby paula polestar » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:57 am

@Bk13 On your creature, the one thing I noticed is that the muzzle is a bitt to long. Other than that, it looks great!

@Applejack This may sound quite jumbled and there will probably be an abundance of spelling errors, but I'm on a time limit so please bear with me:

Let's start with the legs. I can see where you're going with them, but you made a few mistakes. The thigh does curce inwards, but not so steeply. The knee bulges out on the insides, yet indents on the outsides. The outdent is higher up on the calves, as less steep on the inner side of the leg.

The elbow, like the knee, bulges. Unlike the knee, however, it bulbes slightly as both sides when looked at head on. The arms (hands included) end 1/3 of the way down the thigh, while your's ends roughly at 2/3.

For the breasts, try not making them outdent so sharply, if at all. Breats only outdent if they are (for lack of a better word) quite prominent, which is naturally not always the case. For smallers breasts, try indicating it head on roughly where the would, well, end.

And, on another note, if your characters are standing (which I am currently unsure of, for lack of a ground marker/more completed backround) make sure the line up at the feet when standing side by side, rather than the head. If they aren't standing side by side try to somehow make the farther person's features smaller in general. And, if they are flying (considering their wings, which I would criticize if I was skilled in the subject), keep this standing paragraph in mind for future references.

On a last note, the shoulders should be sloped, not straight.

~commonerKing C:
paula polestar

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The_Tide_Keeper » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:11 pm

I made a new avatar to match the completely wonderful chibi that Pep3rc0rn made n.n. Can I get crit on this chibi shark?

I've been struggling with the idea of how to make a chibi leopard shark lately... any tips/ideas would be greatly appreciated :3.
***So, we've got a sun jewel, toxics, balloon dogs, you name it and 15 different characters. If you enter our contest. You've got a good chance of winning something. ***

────────────────────────────────
T I D E

[ WIN RARES LIST | Art Shop | The Artist Army

in Just-
spring         
when the world is mud-luscious the little
lame balloonman
whistles far and wee
and eddieandbill come running from marbles and
piracies and it's
spring
when the world is puddle-wonderful
the queer
old balloonman whistles far and wee
and bettyandisbel come dancing
from hop-scotch android jump-rope and
it's spring and the goat-footed
balloonMan whistlesfarandwee
───────────────────────────────
The_Tide_Keeper

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DojiMiko » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:16 pm

Nex wrote:I was initially going to bed, but I'll stay on for a bit long.

Spotty & Zoë, a very warm welcome to the both of you. I hope you'll stick around. (:
I really love the cheetah, Spotty. It looks gorgeous.

Applejack, I'll try my best to remember to get you a redline tomorrow morning/noon. By the way.. do my eyes deceive me or is that Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash?

Laelia, I love your sky, and your fursona is really pretty. If she's holding the ball, shouldn't there be more shading on your fursona? The ball would be blocking out the light if she held it like that.

Nebulas, too bad the photo quality is so bad, it makes your lines look blurry. She seems like a very interesting character. Mind your proportions, though. Her head and breasts are huge in comparison to her body. Also, females have curves, even if they're ever so subtle. Maybe this'll help you a bit. The link does contain artistic/drawn nudity, but I'm sure everyone is alright with this. The best thing I can suggest is look up photos of army women, fighter women or female boxers if you're going towards the battle girl type.

Now, I'm going to bed. Stay nice while I'm asleep, my darlings.

Thank-you guys for all your crit so far <3<3
Yes it is Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash LOL
There's a WHOLE backstory to the picture...no it isn't mare x mare

. . .
"Even when our eyes are closed, there's a whole world out there that lives outside ourselves and our dreams."

- Edward Elric, Fullmetal Alchemist

Fullmetal Alchemist Fan-club-----CLICK HERE
DojiMiko

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby starlord. » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:18 pm

Nex wrote:Nebulas, too bad the photo quality is so bad, it makes your lines look blurry. She seems like a very interesting character. Mind your proportions, though. Her head and breasts are huge in comparison to her body. Also, females have curves, even if they're ever so subtle. Maybe this'll help you a bit. The link does contain artistic/drawn nudity, but I'm sure everyone is alright with this. The best thing I can suggest is look up photos of army women, fighter women or female boxers if you're going towards the battle girl type.

Thanks for the tips Nex. It's my first few tries drawing humans, so I expected my proportions to be off. And the image was taken by a laptop, so I think it disfigured the picture a little. The head is actually small. Thanks for the link too, I'll use that.

The_Tide_Keeper, I love the eyes! I just see that the tail splits pretty far, it shouldn't be so long. The tail splits abiout in the middle of where you have it.
♫ ѕearcнιng ғor ѕтarlord ♫

╔══════════════╗
Tᴜᴍʙʟʀ
DᴇᴠɪᴀɴᴛAʀᴛ
Aᴡᴇsᴏᴍᴇ Mɪx Vᴏʟ. 1
╚══════════════╝

starlord.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lululizzy23 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:29 pm

Spotty wrote:Image

*late comment* -shot- Anyways, I have NO idea if this has been posted yet but the neck to me looks a tad bit too long, now don't get all freaky cheeata fact knower on me anyone, I only really know my equine anatomy, but anyways, it looks awesome! I love the light colors and the design. Oh yeah, how rude of me, welcome to the artist army! It's great to see you!

That's all for now, I might take another shot at trying some digital art later :3
"one doesn't need sunglasses on a gloomy day and yet it is on a gloomy day that one must look one's flyest"

"if you're one in a million, there are 6,999 ppl just like you. they are coming for u. they will destroy u. THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE. godspeed"

"every grunge boy has his soft grunge side"

"I said "this isn't my first rodeo" but I pronounced it like Rodeo Drive. this let the cowboys know that it was, in fact, my first rodeo"

-Ezra Koenig (@arzE)

characters - dA - tumblr - ask.fm
lululizzy23

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby wickedpup » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:47 pm

@Spotty; Thank you.~ ;w; I wasn't really used to any type of pose like this,but I do see what you mean with the legs. x3 They're kinda bunched up and not holding the ball as much as the front. Thank you muchly for the critique! :'D Fff,grass is easy in SAI.~ I love hairrr,it's such fun. <3
On your cheetah,I think the only thing I see wrong would be the legs are a bit too canine,maybe make them clunkier? I don't know cheetahs well though so no mind me. I love the coloring though,it looks like a sunsety shade almost. C: Welcome to the club!

@Nebulas ; Thank you! <3 Shine is my favorite thing.~ :u<3

@ Nex; Ah yes,it should.~ Thank you for the tip. c: I forgot for a minute that it would create a much darker shade. ^^ Also thank you,the sky was my favorite part of the background,took so much time though.

@The tide Keeper ; I like it a lot. ouo Not many people draw sharks,and it looks fantastic!

@Zoe; Welcome to the club,I hope to see some art from you soon! <3
wickedpup

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby pastel1 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:04 pm

Spotty wrote:Hi, my name is Spotty, long time stalker but first time poster in this thread. Perhaps you have seen me around on occation^^. I'm quite nervous about posting for some reason, so I hope I don't miss anyone or break any rules^^'.

Bk13 wrote:
I need some feedback~
I drew up this creature a few days ago;
http://oi55.tinypic.com/2ep32vr.jpg
He was meant to be a mix between a sight hound of some sort and cheetah and maybe even some hyena with the mane. Anyway, feedback on the creature itself would be good. Note; that is just the lineart, he isn't colored in by any means.
I also would like to hear thoughts on the shading technique, it's something I have been playing with and I'd like to know how it's working.
Finally, how is the drawing over all?

Amazing job on that shading, it looks soft and all real to me. I especially like how you shaded the neck, pronouncing the direction of the fur that sorts of flattens the neck from the sides and makes it looks even faster^^. Like the above posts I can easily spot sight hound and cheetah in it, but not hyena. If it helps any cheetahs can also have a small mane-like ruff on the back of their necks, so I think it adds to the feline feel even if it doesn't bring my mind to hyenas^^.

Applejack wrote:
Also could anyone help me with this picture before I ink it? [If someone could Blue line(instead of redline) it that would be wonderful ^^]

I'm not much for humans, so I don't think I could help much, a redline from me would defenatly look worse^^'. However, I think that the two arms in the middle of the drawing looks a little bulkier than the two outer arms, and the character to the left seems to have slightly short legs to me. Other than that it looks smashing, I love the pose of the character to the right^^.

laelia; wrote:
Haven't posted much in a while lol. So here have a picture of my fursona. sorta big and background-y lawl
I'd LOVE critique. Comments are welcome as well. Grass is my enemy. xD

I'd be happy if I could draw nice grass like that, the background is looking very nice and I like the colours you picked for it. The pose and expression are adorable^^. I think the back paws are looking a little awkward and round, like the heel-to-toes area would be a little squished perhaps? The hind paws doesn't quite match up with the style of the front ones either, the front paws have defined toes and are less round while the toes on the hind paws kind of melt into the leg a little. Personally I think the front paws are cuter^^. My favourite part f he drawing is the shading on the hair, it's looking really perfect. Great job^^.

-----------------------------------

Also, I thought I'd share some art. I know this is really messy, because it's just a rough sketch wih some colours below, but I had very much fun drawing it. I was vrowsing images of cheetahs today and it just struck me what wonky proportions they have with a tiny neck and head and oversized ribs and legs. The anathomy on this is tweaked a bit to make it a little cartoony and I did it very fast, I'm well aware of the anathomical flaws^^'. Mostly everything in the image is rainbows, somthing I tend to avoid because of obvious reasons, and I also added a few texture layers to try to make it interesting. I never do that. Ever. Either way I'm quite pleased with the outcome^^. It's rather far from what I usually draw, if I doodle to make myself happy it usually ends up like this, so this is unusual for me.

EVERYONE@ you guys are too good for me to crit XD and spotty that is wonderful, i wish i could draw felines that well... also doe anyone else wanna be in the group pic im making? i have room for like 2 more charries and atlest one flying charrie.

https://join.me/680-756-726
*ATTENTION MODS AND ADMINS*

I have a new account with the user GasW0lf. No I will NOT cheat or get this months pets again, im not that kind of person. I have pm'd staff and am just waiting reply.
pastel1

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Zoë » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:36 pm

Click me! I NEED REDLINING!

Yep. I'd like some redlining. And if you can't offer that, critique. The front leg seems a bit messed up to me. I don't know. Tell me what you think!
ImageImage
Love protects .
Love defends .
Love restores .
Love empowers .

Announcement: Summer is officially here for me!
Bombs: 3 | Nukes: 1
Links: fursona | boys | girls | Impulse aRt | Love 146

Zoë

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Susiron » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:38 pm

Spotty,

Ohh, I love that cheetah! : O
It's nice to see something besides wolves and domestic cats for once, and I love the colours and pose!
I think that the only things I could say to critique would be, the neck looks a LITTLE too long and awkward; the body could be a bit skinnier, with more drastic, "pointy" joints, especially at the hips; and it could have a bit of a longer tail.
Otherwise, it looks gorgeous. it's excellent to see a cheetah with CHEETAH anatomy! xD

Still painting like crazy for practice. Trying out some new techniques and settings for this guy. x)
I find myself extremely drawn to "blocky" painting styles, where all of the harder brushstrokes come together to make an overall softer painting, I dunno.
Susiron

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Calix » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:43 pm

Erm. Pretend this isn't here.
Last edited by Calix on Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Art Shop: Forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4788164
currently closed
Calix

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me