Artist Army {old thread}

Join or create fan clubs about your favorite things!

Re: Artist Army

Postby pastel1 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:54 pm

Susiron wrote:I've actually never drawn this pose before, so I may be off in a couple of places, but--

The first thing I notice is that your legs and back are REALLY big.
Even in that position, a wolf's legs shouldn't stick out that much. The fur from its neck, and overall mass of its body, will still cover up much of the shoulders.
The neck should be longer, and the head lower. The fur of the neck should actually be most of what you see, and then the slope of the rump. Showing a lot of shoulder is really awkward looking.
Also, from the position you have the eyes, it looks like the wolf is looking down. In this position, the nose should be completely at the end of the snout, rather than back up to show some of the mouth. If you still want to show some of the mouth, than the position of the eyes should be altered.
The ears looked a little big, but that's just personal preference. I didn't draw the hair in the redline, as I just don't draw hair on animals.
The paws are a bit too bulky, and the toes are oddly shaped. Wolf paws actually squish out quite a lot when they're standing, and the metacarpals don't show that much-- it looks too strained.
I didn't draw it since I always forget to include dewclaws, but the dewclaws should be lower down on the ankle, right before the metacarpal area.
The legs look a bit awkward in shape, and the elbows should be more defined.
The hind leg looks a bit shorter The thigh should still be pronounced, even at that angle, rather than just making the leg straight.

And feel free to ignore my edits on the little wings-- I'm just a nazi when it comes to wing anatomy. xD

Not really in the same pose, but still a valid reference--

http://lupinicious.deviantart.com/art/W ... e%3A1&qo=0

Notice how tucked the legs are under the overall mass of fur.

thank you so much, this helped ALOT, hopefully once i start taking art lessons i can get my overall art looking better...
*ATTENTION MODS AND ADMINS*

I have a new account with the user GasW0lf. No I will NOT cheat or get this months pets again, im not that kind of person. I have pm'd staff and am just waiting reply.
pastel1

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Susiron » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:58 pm

This started out as a redline for Zoe, but just turned into a pointer thing afterward.
MAINLY FOR HIND LEGS.

I keep seeing people draw-- and especially redline-- wolf hind legs completely wrong.

The wolf drawing on top was originally a redline for Zoe, but now it's more of a reference. The overall position of the wolf is based on your drawing, Zoe, but I chose to ground the wolf, rather than keeping it in your "floating" status.
I placed the front leg closest to us on the ground, and gave the ankle a nice twist to show movement. Not essential to a pose like this, but I just like doing that sort of thing.
I then grounded both of the hind legs, and stretched the one farther back to make the pose more dynamic.
I also made the body fluffier, longer, and inclined the back.
Assuming yours was a wolf, though, the head doesn't look very wolfish-- more grey hound, or fox. It should be poofier, the ears smaller, and more construction should go into the overall face area, defining the brow, eyes, and snout. The mouth would also show from this angle.

Talking about hind legs again--
They're a bit more difficult than front legs, but not too hard once you get a grasp on them.
I find the one thing people ignore the most is defining the THIGH, and then the dent under the thigh.

If you look at any picture of a wolf-- http://sikaris.deviantart.com/#/d349kow
The thigh sticks out, before their is a dent right before the back of the ankle. The ankle itself then pokes out quite a lot, not even really tapering inward into the metatarsals. In fact, the back of the metatarsal area is nearly STRAIGHT.

On the opposite side, it's a much more gentle slope. The knee area sticks out quite a lot, but quickly slopes inwards, then coming to a stop at the ankle, where it then goes down. I didn't draw the paws really, just to focus on the leg shapes.

So, Zoe, I'd say, define your pose a bit more, but you've got a very good grasp on the legs to begin with.
From what I've seen, your hind legs are more accurate than the couple of redlines that have been given to it.
The pose itself is strange, but the anatomy's definitely on a good track. C:
Susiron

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby diamondpals » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:03 pm

@Susiron - You are my hero <3 Thank you so much for the hind leg guide!

ImageImageImageImage
diamondpals

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby wickedpup » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:43 pm

Hey guys,just wondering here but how would you guys like to join me at giving a gift of art every day/every other day for January? I've already gotten 3 days worth done. Of course you don't need to do a full pic just a sketch would do. x3
Anyone interested? :3 I'm sure it would spread some joy around.~
I know it would be hard,but I'm going to do it anyway. |D

@Susi; Ffft. Make more tutorial-like stuff. I love them. <3 I use your grass/BG one a lot haha. :'u
wickedpup

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Marmoset » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:45 pm

Livestreaming, im taking requests cause i need to draw something... and talk to someone, its kind of helpful when their done at the same time :3

https://join.me/393-416-076
ON FULL HIATUS UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
╔═══════════════════════╗
Image Image Image Image
Used to be Marmoset
<--- Left Sorbet art by Lilelith
JBDs|tumblr|YouTube|dA|Ask.fm
╚═══════════════════════╝
ImageImageImage
Marmoset

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Susiron » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:52 pm

Haha, I'm glad you guys find it useful. xD
I'll try to do some more sketches like it when I get the chance, then.

I'll probably just stick to focusing on wolves/other canines, birds, maybe some rodents, and possibly dragons-- mainly the wing area there-- as those are the things that I'm most sure of anatomy wise.
I'm still learning myself, so this will be good practice for me anyway, lol.
Susiron

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maetropa » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:02 pm

Pff, Susiron, WOLF LEGS
MUST USE
;3;

Uhm, I don't think there is much to critique, as the last few posts were redlines, so;

I know the back leg is off
just
>3<

And it isn;t meant to have a tail, I'll add.
I'm proud of the facial features, anyone got any ideas how to improve the face even more so it isn't flat?
maetropa

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DoctorDraca » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:11 pm

Darn it, Susiron, let me love you, okay?
Would you mind if I linked to that post on the front page? After a while, it'd vanish under piles of posts and something as useful as that should be shared with everyone.
By the way, that painting is beautiful. A friend of mine uses such blocky painting too and I just adore it.

NotMe, if you want the face to look less flat, you want want to practice your shading. Right now, your shading's very pale and hard to notice. Also, try shading with colour, you might just end up liking the result a lot. As for the anatomy, I'm not sure if you want comments/crits on that. The head of the cat looks a little pressed together. Even if the ears are flat, the head should still remain round. I've got a cat tutorial that you might like, near the bottom it has a part about headshapes.

Hmm, I forgot to post this thing yesterday. I was just sketching a dude. Trying to familiarise myself with male anatomy again. I just want to give everything curves..
Also, I can't wait to go shopping on friday so I can finally get some proper books on anatomy. Internet tutorials and references are great, but I want more. 8C
------------------- ◊ -------------------
toyhousedeviantarttracker dogs
DoctorDraca

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maetropa » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:13 pm

@Nex;
Thanks x3
I'll work on that, then. I actually do shade with colour, a dark red/brown, but it's probably to low on opacity to show.

Thanks, I'll have a look at it <3

Hooman sketch
o3o
nice looking
/can't draw humans to save her life
maetropa

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Susiron » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:20 pm

Haha, go ahead if you like, Nex! xD
I plan to work on some more anatomical sketches for wolves tomorrow, detailing the paws and front legs as well, so I'll add more then. I'd do them now, but it's really late, lol.

And, yes, I LOVE blocky painting styles!
I admire artists that can pull of those brand of paintings, and I hope to reach a decent level of skill with it through abusing that setting! xD

And, FTTT, that male anatomy looks awesome, Nex! : O
The legs are especially nice-- k,dmgkfg, may I steal your human anatomy, please?
I think that the absolute only thing I could say is that the head looks a tad bit too small, but I'm almost certain that I draw heads too big, so I may just be a bit skewed from watching too much cartoons-- I really need to familiarize myself with human anatomy more. xD

--

Speaking of human anatomy-- well, half human-- here's a concept doodle that I did today for my OC, Peter.

His closest arm, and hand-- omg, how hands hate me-- are pretty lol, but I'm proud of the pose, leg anatomy, and his expression, lol.

Just to clarify, he's a species from my story that I call "Sprites."
Essentially, he's basically a rabbit Faun, lol.

Critiques and comments are loved.
Redlines are accepted, but please know your human anatomy! < 3
Susiron

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me