The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread! V2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What type of rodents do you have?

Rats
27%
Hamsters
17%
Gerbils
5%
Mice
11%
Guinea Pigs
15%
Chinchillas
2%
Degus
1%
None :(
15%
None, but getting some soon!
7%

Total votes : 338

Postby sforzando. » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:05 pm

UGH I was looking for this thread in class today!! glad it popped up before i went to bed lol

Username: sforzando.
      Favorite type of rodent: im forever caught between rats and mice omg
      Tell us about your pets: ive had rats for YEARS!! dozens of them! absolutely loved them but i had a hard time cleaning their cages when the cages are the size of me LOL
      right now i work at a pet store and we had a one-eyed gray mouse come in, which i HAD to have. I had her by herself for months (YES I KNOW it's a sin to have one female rodent but she was being attacked by the other mice so badly that i didn't trust getting another. she was doing fine, i kept a very close eye on her)
      then like, four days ago we got another. a one-eyed brown mouse. which i proceeded to get. immediately. because i have an issue with disabled animals. i need all of them.
      Other: i was looking for this thread all day today because i was gonna introduce the two mice today and i didn't know exactly what to expect but i managed to get it solved. they're currently in a 10 gal with limited things learning to be nice and they're doing really well
elder scrolls instagram acc.
ImageImage
central time. not very active anymore. 911 dispatcher irl.
sforzando.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread! V2

Postby Pasta Rats » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:51 am

username: pasta_rat
favorite rodent: Rats, obviously
tell us about your pets: I have 2 rats. One is sand colored with white spots and his name is Cheerio. My other rat, Peep, is a cream colored siamese/seal point.
Pasta Rats

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby samm. » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:16 am

.autumnal wrote:
      Username: .autumnal
      Favorite type of rodent: mice! <3
      Tell us about your pets: i've currently got a male albino mouse named Stuart,
      and three female rats named Opal, Onyx, and Ophelia! <33
      Other: here's a slightly blurry pic of my boy stu ;w;

changed my username

so, guess who's getting more rodents? πŸ‘€

i'm gonna be picking up a trio, or possibly a quad, of female mice sometime in december and i'm super excited! they're going to be going in my old 40 gallon breeder tank that's just been sitting around collecting dust. can y'all give me some suggestions for toys, hides, chews, tunnels, wheels, etc, to put in their tank? i use Chewy to do almost all of my pet shopping, so if you can pull items from there and link them that'd be fantastic! also, i know a lot about mice, but it's been a while since i freshened up on my knowledge, got any tips or tricks you'd like to share with me? thank you for any and all help! <3
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ

╔════════════════════════════╗
elliot / ellie, or sam | genderfluid | he/they
single | polyromantic demisexual | polyam
omnist | covenless witch | scorpio / ox
infp-t | chaotic good | poet | listo

β•šβ•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
samm.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Romba » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:29 am

pasta_rat wrote:username: pasta_rat
favorite rodent: Rats, obviously
tell us about your pets: I have 2 rats. One is sand colored with white spots and his name is Cheerio. My other rat, Peep, is a cream colored siamese/seal point.

I have a rat named cheerio too! And he looks like your cheerio ❀
Romba

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

help - questions on guinea pigs.

Postby miαΉ· » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:58 am

// backstory on how i got the guinea pigs. skip if uninterested please!
      i rarely post on cs apart from my dying art store, but i recently acquired two guinea pigs (the hairless type).
      they have been rehomed twice before me. apparently, the first home was 'so stressful one of them had seizured'. this has only happened once, and i doubt the pig is epileptic. the second home took them in as they felt sorry for the predicament they were in. however, the person who owned them can no longer look after them due to lack of space and income. i did an animal management level 3 course in college and have briefly looked over guinea pigs, but nothing to intensely. my mom knew this and so offered to take them in, completely surprising me when i came in from work the other night.

// questions ;;
          what do i feed them, how regularly and what type of pellet (if any) should be given? can i feed them once a day, or do they need a breakfast/dinner at specific times?

they currently have newspaper and hay as their bedding. i don't think they should eat the hay they've urinated on, however, so should i move them onto some kind of wood chip? (fleece/"washable fabric" isn't an option)

how often should i bathe/moisturise/clip their nails, and for the latter, how do i clip their nails? is it similar to a dog?

miαΉ·

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vein » Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:55 am

vein wrote:-My partner and I have 3 rats; Jackson, Worm, and Monty.
-All 3 boys know 'spin' as a trick! They're very talented.
-No girls as of now, but that will change eventually.

Posted this back in March, so have another update.

-Jackson Backson left us a few months ago. He was very special and silly and awkward, and I miss that old man all the time.
-We have 3 more lads as of September- Toby, Charlie, and Rolo. We adopted them from a shelter where they arrived after they were found abandoned with several other rats. They're all friendly, well-adjusted, polite young men. They live in a separate cage from the other two. They don't know how to spin just yet, but we're getting there.
-All 5 rats are very weird; they're probably the strangest that I've had. Each has their own personality and quirks that make them very easy to get attached to lol.

lee | they | β™‘
some sort of creature
i like rats & jellycat plushes
looking for c$ & 2014 egypt starry calf
-
vein

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby keronya » Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:24 am

Username: keronya

Favorite type of rodent: rats!

Tell us about your pets:i am a first time rat owner. i own a pair of 4 month old rats
      that i have adopted through a lady who had to unfortunately surrender them. i have been
      researching for months and it is now my 4th day of keeping these babies. every day i
      have been working with them to get used to handling, and they're doing so well so far!
      i am excited to give these beautiful creatures a fulfilling life and i am always hoping
      that im doing a good job lol

Other: their names are mercury and jalipai!
    β€Ž
    β€Ž
    β€Ž

i'm not that active on forums but feel free to pm and say hi!

β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’
    infj-t
    virgo ☼ ☾
    saggi ↑
    mother of 4 rats
    β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’

free pets
keronya

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby b.umblebee » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:36 pm

Username: b.umblebee
      Favorite type of rodent: hamsters, but im bias
      Tell us about your pets: I just got a hamster, its my first one. i named him lesbian bowser and i love him
      Other:im excited to talk about rodents w u guys and i hope i can learn a thing or 2!
^art creds^
ImageImageImageImageImage
hi im jane!
b.umblebee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spearow » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:42 am

I've posted on this before but its been so long so I'm making a new post.

Username: Spearow
      Favorite type of rodent: "Fancy" Mice
      Tell us about your pets: None currently. My last mouse was named Sayu-Gidae, he was a male mouse with a kink in his tail. He had fluffy blonde fur and was treated badly from the store I got him from. He was the only little guy there and I couldn't stand to leave him there, so I caved and bought from somewhere I shouldn't have. The store associate tipped the tank and shook him out into a cardboard box because he was afraid to touch him. He never did like physical affection but he loved companionship through the glass of his tank.
      Sayu's tank had a wire mesh locking lid and by sheer terrible luck the ceiling and roof above his tank leaked and moisture got into his cage, he developed a URI and although I took him to an exotic veterinarian an hour away he did not survive as he was already a few years old and a little old man. I miss him so bad. </3
      (I had him cremated)

Other:
      I'm looking for reputable breeders to buy more mice from. I would very much like to adopt three female mice from a breeder. Preferably two youngsters and a retired doe. I'm having a such a hard time finding a good breeder close enough without traveling restrictions due to covid. Anyone in the United States know of any good breeders? It doesn't matter what states because I am willing to travel and obviously cannot disclose my location on here.

Also, I'm looking for advice because I have never owned multiple females at a time. I have always had males in separate tanks due to temperaments, and I once had a senior female during her last few months that someone surrendered.

For three female mice, what would be an acceptable glass tank (by gallon) and do you suggest tall or long? Mine have never been much for climbing. I already know very good food brands, beddings and the like from my experience of taking care of many mice. But I want to know what size I should be considering to avoid any territorial issues among three does. Any advice for tank size or reputable breeders in the continental US please rely to me! πŸ’›
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
xx
xxxImage
xx
xxx
β₯ Trade me?
xxstatus: tired
x x
xxtradesβ—‹β™«β—‹isoβ—‹listoβ—‹Auction
xx➡ Looking for wishlist!
Spearow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Agent Maine(Meta) » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:32 pm

My recommendation is mote tall then long, but if you can find one that's essentiallu both that would be good.
Mice are more borrowers then they are arborial/climbers from my own research.

I myself recently got three mice myself! I was told all females. But i learned one of them was actually a buck about two months after I got them. Imagine my surprise.
But it wasn't from an accident litter surprisingly.

I took all three to a vet for a general check up and learned one was a male suffering from nirva [?*] Virus. It made him infertile.
I've had them almost seven months now and no litters. My girls are just kinda fat from good food lol.

*I'm 90% sure I spelled it wrong but it's a virus they can contract from mosquitos that causes infertility in mice.

∞|-|↓|-|↑|-|↓|-|↑|-|↓|-|↑|-|↓|-|↑|-|↓|-|↑|-|↓|-|↑|-|∞

>ImageImageImage<
>Personal ryka collection<
>ImageImage<
∞|↓|-|↑|-|↓|-|↑|-|↓|-|↑|-|↓|-|↑|-|↓|-|↑|-|↓|-|↑|∞
Agent Maine(Meta)

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups