Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby Mothmanofficial » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:01 am

I have a good dog and a bad dog. Let me introduce Good Dog.
Good Dog is also known as Cricket. She is an Australian Shepherd, and has never lived off of a farm in her life. Born on a cattle farm, Cricket grew up surrounded by her 7 red and white siblings, as well as turkeys and big dark eyed cows. She herself is mostly black, with some brown and white markings. She won us over when we came to get her, but it was a close competition with her big brother. Big brother was a gorgeous fuzzy thing, with a broad chest and lovely markings. But, mother did not like boy dogs, and he was VERY wild, even a bit savage. So we got cricket. She then went to her new home (and got sick several times in the process) on... Another farm. She walked in to the house and immediately tore around the house, and scared my six year old self on to a chair where she could not touch me. Bad Dog revered her as Alpha since she first stepped in the house. Then the livestock problems started. First it was chickens. Cricket was fascinated by them. The way they bobbed their heads as they walked and their strange sounds intrigued her. So she chased them. We worried about how to protect our dear flock from the monster, but she solved that on her own. She bit a bird, and (forunately) only ripped the tail out, leaving the chicken unharmed. She hacked up feathers all night, and never touched another one. Then came the goats. Unlike the chickens, these creatures terrified the little dog. Their slightly demonic yellow eyes, and large horse, and strange sounds, as well as the electric fence they lived in, were very unlike the dull cows. Also, there was the fact that for once she had met an animal that wouldnt be herded. Oh no. There was herding going on, trust me. The goats herded her. She now will not go down to the bottom of the hill near where they live. She trained very easily, and soon was an intelligent, pretty dog. She does about one new smart thing once a day. Sadly, at the age of 8, Cricket is slowing down, but still enjoys many fun things. She likes to hunt mice, and run through her big farm, and go blackberry picking (and eat a few berries as well). She enjoys the company of Bad Dog too.
Bad Dog is a yellow lab who came from rough beginings, and we belive she feels, years and years after she came to us, that she needs to store up fat in case she is not fed for a few days, and must bark when tied out to alert the nearby house of her presence in case we never decide to untie her. That said, Molly, or Bad Dog, has some bad habits cause by what happened to her until she was 2. She eats everything. To name a few, a cat door and surrounding drywall, a remote, a sea urchin without spines that we brought from the beach, a jug (yes a whole full jug) of bleach, many sandwiches, and nerf bullets, my bird seed and my bird's waste if she can get her paws on it (and my birds would be eaten to if I gave her the chance). This all without medical treatement afterwards. She is annoying a weird, and gets a bad rash in the summer and itches and itches and itches. We have to bathe her with this perscription shampoo (it was a perscription filled for a lot of money each time we needed more until we found that it was for sale on amazon for very cheap as human shampoo). It soothes the rash for a week of two. But Molly is old now and slowing down. She likes to sleep, and be groomed with the vacuum cleaner hose.
So yeah those are my little furballs

╔══════════════════════════════╗
Ace | He/him| INFP | Avatar FAQ | Carrd
╚══════════════════════════════╝

╔═════════════════════════╗
My head is filled with bees and all of
them are playing the trombone feature
from Phantom Regiment's 2023 show
|Thanks for coming to my TED talk|

╚═════════════════════════╝

Mothmanofficial

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Starlovex » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:03 am

cat4139 wrote:Heya guys! Just got a mix breed dog today from someone on Craigslist and she is very sweet! She is a pit bull x Labrador mix. The problem is that she pulls on the leash and she is very, very strong. I am able to keep her from running off but it would make walking easier if I could get her to walk by my side. Any tips or tricks you guys might have for that? Also, she has a tendency to bark at passerby people and dogs, but she is not aggressive. I'd just hope no neighbors would complain from the noise lol. I've already had somebody who was walking their dog turn the other way. I will totally start working with her on that! Any tips or tricks on that as well? Thank you so much!

Quoted from the last thread! c:
We are also getting another puppy tomorrow so she can have a playmate. He is a black, white, and brown Australian shepherd mix, and the shelter chose his name as Bingo but i'm going to change it! :)
Starlovex

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mothmanofficial » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:06 am

Harlow. wrote:
Its freezing where I live, And We have Quite A bit of snow, But my dog is A crazy man who needs His energy Released! Fun indoor game recommendations? And Anybody have any dog coat recommendations??

Take a flashlight and shine the light around the floor. Crazy Man will enjoy chasing the light.
Invest in a cong, and fill it with treats for him to pull out.
Rolling the tennis balls around the house is a favorite of my dogs.
Also, if he is not very big, or you are strong, then a tug of war toy can de-energize a dog in just a few rounds.
He is a cute dog, you are lucky to have such a nice pet!

Mothmanofficial

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mothmanofficial » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:10 am

cat4139 wrote:
cat4139 wrote:Heya guys! Just got a mix breed dog today from someone on Craigslist and she is very sweet! She is a pit bull x Labrador mix. The problem is that she pulls on the leash and she is very, very strong. I am able to keep her from running off but it would make walking easier if I could get her to walk by my side. Any tips or tricks you guys might have for that? Also, she has a tendency to bark at passerby people and dogs, but she is not aggressive. I'd just hope no neighbors would complain from the noise lol. I've already had somebody who was walking their dog turn the other way. I will totally start working with her on that! Any tips or tricks on that as well? Thank you so much!

Quoted from the last thread! c:
We are also getting another puppy tomorrow so she can have a playmate. He is a black, white, and brown Australian shepherd mix, and the shelter chose his name as Bingo but i'm going to change it! :)

Did someone say AUSSIE!? I love aussies. My friend has an aussie and a 7/8 aussie 1/8 heeler mix, and I have cricket. They are fun loving, intelligent dogs with a lot of energy. All I know about them as far as health problems is that heart worm meds cause brain damage in aussies, not sure if that will be a problem for you since little man is a mix.
Also, do you have a new name picked out for little man? If not, consider changing it to something that sounds like the old name a little bit (like Limbo or something for example) so he has an easier time recognizing his new name.
And as for the lab/ pit mix, I have met many of those and they are sweet, amazing dogs. Good choice. She will combat the energy of Bingo, and be a loving pet. For pulling, pull back. If she jerks ahead, then jerk her (not too hard, just enough for her to get the picture) and say in a low, firm voice "heel". She should learn eventually that she is not acting ok and stop. Otherwise, get a harness that is supposed to help with that. For barking, socialize her with other dogs and humans. My dogs bark because when ever they see a person or dog or car, it is unusual because we live down a long driveway. But a dog in a neighborhood (I am assuming) should learn soon enough.
Last edited by Mothmanofficial on Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mothmanofficial

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cardinal » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:39 am

Harlow. wrote:
The thing is, He doesn't have any Toy drive. I usually go run with him, Or turn him loose in the front yard so he can zoom in circles. But with the cold weather its not ideal to be outside..

And Another thing, I'll get a photo of His full body Up tmrow, But I'll need some help determining if He is over weight or not, and What i could do to loose a few If He Is overweight.

But I don't believe He is, He's A Medium Labrador Mix, Maybe some bully breed in there? I can Pick Him up very easy (i'm only 93 Pounds) And carry him for quite a long time I'd estimate him to be around 53 Pounds But he's never been weighed?

If hes not toy driven play training games inside or make puzzle toys if he likes food. A muffin tin with treats inside covered with tennis balls is an easy one. Mental excersize is just as important as physical excersize :)

Speaking of... Its so frustrating to have a stupid smart dog. I want you to bow not give me paw in variying levels of excitement and franticness. I dont want the other foot. I dont want both feet. I want a bow, lol. Stop wandering off looking for items to trade me, either. I dont want my husbands socks, a small bow dang you. I love him. Today he took the pot I used to give the chickens water and brought it to me, I had forgotten it by the coop. Yes, thank you. He will also bring me my coffee cup, chip bag, food wrapper, etc and wait expectantly for me to open it to give him some, Sen this isnt for you but thank you. The woes of trading him for EVERYTHING has created a monster, but theres 0 resource guarding to speak of and hes incredibly incredibly easy to take stuff away from.
Honey, it's in the stars
And you're my everything from here to Mars
And every word I say I truly mean
Dear darling, I hope I'm being clear
'Cause there's no one like you on earth
That can be my universe

Cardinal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby xXocea » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:46 am

Wow! There seems to be so many Aussie owners in this thread. That's surprising for me. Didn't realize how popular they were.

But that makes me curious...

What Breed(s) of dog(s) do you have?
    Code: Select all
    [b]What Breed(s) of dog(s) do you have?[/b]
xXocea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rainbowwrowell » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:49 am

RebelliousWinter wrote:
    Wow! There seems to be so many Aussie owners in this thread. That's surprising for me. Didn't realize how popular they were.

But that makes me curious...

Code: Select all
    [b]What Breed(s) of dog(s) do you have?[/b]

I have one dog. A collie x labador x boxer her name's Delphine. She's a year old. Her first birthday was Christmas Eve and I call her my lil miracle. I got her 8 days after my birthday.
he/they/it
rainbowwrowell

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eleutheromania » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:52 am

miniature dachshund, will be 3 in february, he acts like an old fart, i miss my puppy phase
american eskimo, technically my mom's. will be two in august. i swear he has adhd some times.

will be adding an aussie to the mix once i can have a house etc, single military soldier here.
eleutheromania

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby stelpup » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:59 am

1. GSD/Border collie
2. Labrador
-stellapup, creator of smitten kittens.
click to adopt yours today

ImageImage
stelpup

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby awakening souls. » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:16 pm

i have a 5 year old male doberman mix named jasper, a 6 year old female labrador retriever named sam(antha), a 4 year old (we think) female bernese mountain dog named persy/persephone, and an unknown-aged male border collie golden retriever mix named aspen. used to have an 8 year old australian shepherd named sokra, but she unfortunately passed away recently.
awakening souls.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me