Help with guinea-pig breeding...?

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Help with guinea-pig breeding...?

Postby Toastberg » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:44 pm

I've got a pregnant guinea pig, Molly, and she's getting huge. Is there anything in particular I have to do when the guinea-piglets (or whatever you call them) come? I've got absoolutely no experience with breeding anything, so are there any tips I should know?

Thanks
~RESUME INDEFINITE PROBABLY-PERMANENT HIATUS~
My work here is done.
Thanks again to those who entered in my competition. I'll be off now. Have a nice life out there.
Toastberg

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Help with guinea-pig breeding...?

Postby Pom » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:39 am

My rabbit got pregnant by accident ,lol. She killed her babies by accident...she was a first time mother and she sat on her babies...I DON`T BREED HER SHE IS A PET. I know that didn`t help but I wanted to post it.
Pom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rukiena<3 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:00 am

Okay Don't touch the babies before 4 days old or else mama will nom nom them e_o
When the chips are down
Back against the wall
Got no more to give
Cause we gave it all
Seems like going a distance
is unrealistic
But we're too far from the start
So we take what comes,
and we keep
on going
Leaning on each other's shoulders
Then we turn around
And see we've come so far somehow
We're halfway there
We're Looking good now
Nothing's gonna get in the way
We're halfway there
Were Halfway There~Big Time Rush

Rukiena<3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MoonfallTheFox » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:06 am

Well, at least ot wasn't a purposeful breeding.

First- Set up a place for her to have her young in peace. She needs to be in a separate cage from the other piggies and indoors, warm. A large rabbit cage is good. Make sure the tray is nice and tall, and the wire spacing small enough that naughty babies won't get out. Put her in a quiet room undisturbed, and make sure there are no animals in there that will stress her.

Second- she needs a place to nest. Don't put a hut in there, they can crush the young. A large box with a hole cut in it is good. That way the babies won't be easily lost. Make sure you close allt he flaps so they have a floor and won't be crushed.
Then put in strips of fabric, newspaper, butcher paper, wahtever you want, and she will move them to the box when she wants them. I suggest waiting until after the birth to do this. Just put paper in at first-birth's a messy buisness.

Third-she needs extra protien. Small peices of egg are good, so is small amounts of cooked oatmeal. This should be continued while she lactates as well.

4th- handle the babies. If the mother will let you it should be from the day after they are birthed. The first day just let them rest. Be careful, the mom will be defensive and may bite. You will probably have to lure her away when you want to handle the babies.

5- Mom will wean them on her own. I do not know what age guinea's can reproduce at, but be sure to separate the young before then. Boys in one group, girls with mom.

Good luck. If you need anyhing just ask(:

Blue- most animals will not eat babies when handled by humans. I suppose, toast, that you could avoid handling for 4 days if you want to be safe, but then start. Every day, multiple times. don't separate the babies for more than half hour from mom.
Moonfall // He/Him // ©
"No one deserves my world quite like you do
And it's true, I hate everything but you."
Amigo The Devil
Gif by BronzeHalo
MoonfallTheFox

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Toastberg » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:00 am

Wow, thanks a lot :D That should really help!

One question though, when you say to take them indoors, are you in a cold place? Where I live, it can get quite hot, and sometimes the indoors is hotter than outdoors :s Can you give me a rough temperature or something? Thanks.
My work here is done.
Thanks again to those who entered in my competition. I'll be off now. Have a nice life out there.
Toastberg

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MoonfallTheFox » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:00 am

Oh yeah, it's winter here. Uh, I'm not sure, I think what's comfy for humans is good for them. I know with rats it needs to be below 80 degrees.
Moonfall // He/Him // ©
"No one deserves my world quite like you do
And it's true, I hate everything but you."
Amigo The Devil
Gif by BronzeHalo
MoonfallTheFox

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Razzle~ » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:18 pm

That depends.... What breed is Molly?

-TNZ
so I haven't been on this site in like, forever, so I'm briefly back on to get rid of lots of my pets in exchange for art of my dog. Also if you do art and want pets send me a pm I'd love to work something out
You can contact me on my tumblr - @puppiesfortheblind - if I don't respond in a reasonable timeframe
~Razzle~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Toastberg » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:42 pm

I'm really not sure.. She's got sort of medium-length fur which makes her look really fat.
My work here is done.
Toastberg

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Razzle~ » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:15 pm

Hmmmm.... Can you PM me a picture? I might be able to reconize the breed.

-TNZ
so I haven't been on this site in like, forever, so I'm briefly back on to get rid of lots of my pets in exchange for art of my dog. Also if you do art and want pets send me a pm I'd love to work something out
You can contact me on my tumblr - @puppiesfortheblind - if I don't respond in a reasonable timeframe
~Razzle~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby XRRX » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:46 pm

:lol: Well all that advice is good advice but when my ginea pigs gave birth we just left her with the father in the cage and checked on her. Sometimes the dad will harm them but in this case he was nicer than the mother! :lol: Try holding them on the third day, and maybe the mother as well so that she can make sure they're safe.
But whatever got her pregnant, don't let him in for long... trust me on this... *stares at twenty guinea pigs and pregnant mother*
I am trading ALL PETS (except my Nick PPS. May lions and androids) for MORE MAY LIONS. I need MOARZ. Overpaying lots and lots.
XRRX

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me