CSN Discussion Thread!

For topics which don't fit anywhere else! Discuss the weather, your mood, hobbies and interests. Remember, keep it child-friendly :)

Re: CSN Discussion Thread!

Postby daybreak. » Fri May 03, 2024 5:23 am

Lostlovebirdz wrote:who won the writing contest? :o

The deadline has been extended since there were not very many entries yet c:
Elle will probably make an announcement about this soon!

Loelya wrote:also,I don't mean this in a bad way or anything and only want to sort of speak up on it, but I did go ahead and read the new article over and I'm a little bummed that my mid-month feature was mentioned as part of speculation that the spotlights seem to be "solely art focused" because it's not just art, and it feels a little reductive to have it described as such. it's actually a game (I believe the mid-month update refers to it as a "comic" because it was posted in the "comics/series" section of oekaki) - and it's a community activity, and it's also a story (word count for the game that received a feature is right around 1500 words.) people can comment & join in with the game and play it like a "choose your own adventure" by community vote. I plan out 16 total pathways in advance of these games being posted, and I also give out prizes at the end just for participating. I do have titlecards/drawings for it to give it a visual element but it's really more about the game than the art.

Like Elle said before, I'm just so sorry about the hurt feelings! The intention was never to minimize the effort you or any other artist put into their work: "solely focused on the art portion of the community" was a phrase intended to mean "focused only on the creative endeavors of CS users" as opposed to, for example, site tools and extensions developed by users or perhaps active pounds and giveaways that might well be worth a feature. (Indeed might this choice in phrasing is probably a vestige of our own art umbrella encompassing the CS writing community and gamified activities like Pocket Myths ^^').

For what it's worth, I adore the community participation component of both your "You enter an abandoned tunnel..." and "A path stretches out before you..." series and am only bummed I became aware of them too late to participate :'D At first I thought they were choose your own adventure stories, but after I realized the path and outcome were interactively decided by users following along with the story I've been following along with your oekaki posts hoping for another, and getting treated to some really wonderful art pieces in the meantime c;
daybreak.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Loelya » Fri May 03, 2024 10:27 am

hello again! thank you so much to both of you for the replies, I'm honestly kind of relieved that I just misunderstood the angle from which the blurb was written from (about art vs other features of the site) and really appreciate the time taken for the clarification here.

I apologize as well if I came across as too abrupt; I wanted to lay my thoughts out in hopes of hearing the other side but I also didn't intend to cause any stress and would like to reassure that I think csn does very good work and covers a lot of interesting and helpful things in its articles. the interviews with staff have been especially lovely to read.

I am really glad to hear and really flattered that daybreak., you'd be interested in joining in future games down the road. ^^ I am currently planning to have another one start & run during the CS summer event. I'm aiming to run them during time periods where players are likely to be checking the site of their own accords to avoid anyone missing out as much as possible (there will likely be another couple during the halloween event and the advent calendar, for example.)

thank you again to both for the replies and the help understanding what angle was being discussed in the article!
ImageImage
~ and here you are, continuing on,
despite how hard it's been ~

adult || she/shey/they
"Build-Your-Own" Editables
Loelya

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby daybreak. » Fri May 03, 2024 11:19 am

You were perfectly polite, and it was easy to tell from your post that no harm was meant <3 Thank you for sharing your feelings about that tidbit and letting us address it and clear up any misunderstandings. We can also now take this sort of thing into account in the future!

And thank you also for your other feedback; Elle works especially hard on those interviews, and I agree they're always such fun :D One of my favorite things about joining the CSN team as a researcher is having some input on the interview questions and such ^^

And I'm super happy you plan on making more games in the future. Will definitely be keeping an eye out for those c; Probably a very good idea to wait for event time when many more users check the site daily, for sure! As long as they keep being fun for your to make, I can easily see that many CS users enjoy them (myself included) <3
daybreak.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me