Gardening Tips Please, What Should I do About Worms?

For topics which don't fit anywhere else! Discuss the weather, your mood, hobbies and interests. Remember, keep it child-friendly :)

Gardening Tips Please, What Should I do About Worms?

Postby caterpillarcraft » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:23 am

I’ve started gardening recently and have been trying to set the yard up to turn the large dirt beds into some small hugelkultur mounds. During this I’ve been displacing many worms, and from research, many are probably invasive species. One big issue is that websites don’t have lists of native worm species, I live in America, so…it’s troubling as I frequently find worms I’m unsure what I should do with. Does anyone know of any sites I can use that may be evading search results or if I should just leave the worms be? I like them, I’m just worried if they are a strain on the native ecosystem.

I’d also love some tips since I’m very new, I’m actually living in a rented place and am pretty much left to do with the backyard as I please. Whoever lived here years back had laid down cover crops that I know can be replanted, I’ve identified mustard, green onions, red onions, and radishes. Is there anything I can do to ensure they can be grown to be eaten? I have limited resources at the moment so I’m mostly asking generally.

Lastly, I’d love aloe vera tips. The last resident left an aloe vera plant, I thought it was dead but it turned out only the mother plant had passed, there were pups hidden under the mother’s dead leaves. I’ve moved the pups into a terracotta pot and what I think is a ceramic pot, their previous pot had no drainage hole. How soon should I separate the pups from each other? I currently have no extra pots but I’d like to know how much I should worry right now about separating them.

Caterpillar [♥︎Image♥︎] He/They
    xxxxxxxx───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────
    xImage Image Image
    Image Image
caterpillarcraft

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Gardening Tips Please, What Should I do About Worms?

Postby inge » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:14 am

I really wouldn't care for the worms your digging up, nearly every earth worm in America is a invasive species. And I don't know the region of America you live in so I think its up to you whether you want to just put them back or cull, which you can do by giving them a soak in alcohol.

I don't know your climate either, but assuming you live in a temperate climate, mustard is a weed and can be hard to control so I recommend avoiding planting to much and keeping the population down. Unless you really like mustard XD. Types of onions and radishes are super easy to grow even in terrible soil so as long as you know what your doing you should be fine. Generally, you shouldn't "need" pesticides for those plants, unless your finding little nibbles on the mustard. However, holes in the mustards leaves aren't to much of a problem as they are in the rest of the plant and mites in the flower from what I've seen are harmless to the plant.
hen/him Image estp
chicken enthusiast
metal sub genre nerd😔🤚
ImageImage
i have deuteranopia😱🤓
save a hen

inge

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes