Based on Click to view
Artist Ethulai [gallery]
Time spent 2 hours, 29 minutes
Drawing sessions 3
47 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

Kalon #371

Postby Ethulai » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:39 pm

Kalons-- a species with soft manes and even softer hearts.

Monitored in forests across the globe for years, these animals
have recently been declared naturally tame as well as sapient.
Scientists are asking the general population to consider adopting
Kalons for further study in their capabilities of intelligence.

Recently I re-read a well-loved book so this kalon is inspired by Erin Morgenstern's 'The Night Circus'.
Which got me thinking...
...To win this kalon you have to write me a book/movie/game review!
Choose your favourite book/movie/game and convince me to read/watch/play it :)
Below is a skeleton form but you can set it out however you wish!

Code: Select all
Username:
Kalon's name:
Book/Movie/Game title:
Book/Movie/Game genre:
Review:

Ends: 25th of July (one week from now)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
┌───────────────┐

💀 // 💀 // 💀 // 💀
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
Everyday is Halloween
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
"Hell is empty and all the devils are here."
- Shakespeare, The Tempest

└───────────────┘
Ethulai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Kalon #371

Postby Goostarion » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:43 pm

██
██
██

██

██
██

██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██

██
██

██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██

██
██

██
██
██
██
██

██████ ██ ████ ██████████
█████████
█████████
█████████
█████████
█████████

█████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████

Imagexxx
Indie Puzzle Platformer
Thomas was alone
ZeyDaan

██████████ ████ ██ ██████ █████████
Image ███ Image
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

ho would have thought it, a simple, curious game of blocks with various personalities
captured my attention and my heart. I certainly didn't, and I didn't expect to be
writing up a review of this game, though I believe on the other hand that if I
wasn't to write this up I would be doing this game an injustice; to say the least.

I wanted to do something different and be completely unbias with this review challenge.
I wanted to go through the steam store and purchase an indie game out of the blue, just to see what
is available. Out of a trillion games, this is game caught my eye.

"It's silly, really, for me to think of the playable avatars of Mike Bithell's indie platformer as characters.
I mean, John wasn't a person with a complicated personal history.
"
The characters are phenomenal, well that is if you well count squares and rectangles you control as
characters. It's shocking at first to refer them as characters, although the smooth delivery of the
game is one of grandeur it cannot be simply ignored. The execution of the characters becoming
developed is both subtle and delicate and as a result it is extremely effective. Each character has
it's pros, cons and none of them are seen as a mary sue and all bend around each other extremely
well, personality and or otherwise. It is almost as if you could feel the delicate care the creator
took to put together to this game just through the characters themselves, let alone level design
and the plethora of various factors that tie together for the game.

You start as Thomas (Shown below) who is, as the title says; alone. Or well was.

And the ultimate goal of the game is to get through
the game's 100 levels. Simple enough, but alas it isn't.
It truly isn't. Each level has a unique quirk and an incredible
level of sophistication to gel incredibly well with the characters
and their quirks. Some characters can't jump as high where
others can, some can swim and you can stack them up as high
as you want to. In addition, there is an array of different
approaches one can take to finish a level.

═══════
This Is Thomas.
He is glad to see
that you continued
to read this review.
Thank you in adv!

═══════
══
██
██
██

══

The narrator within this story has a soft, smooth voice which sarcasm and quirkiness which is attractive
to say the least. With incredibly delivery and incredible writing behind the game, the intention, tone
and character definition of the game pours out the gates in waves. Each of the characters have a
unique identity, approach and thought process which makes these characters that much stronger.

The soundtrack can be repetitive at times, but it is a energized rhythm of balanced harmonies and
fabulous portions. I find it to be really nice in the earlier levels and interesting in the later levels.

There are negatives to this game which can make or break the game for you depending on whether
these factors are huge or not. The game has no replay-ability value, you reply the game and get the
same story; similar to Transistor and other titles along this line. In addition, the repetitiveness of
the game could also get to a user, as the overall goal could negatively be summed up as doing the
same thing over and over again 100 times. To overcome this, playing the game in portions often
helps.

Overall, the game is definitely worth the investment. It's adaptability to a numerous number of
different platforms (IOS, Steam, PS3/PS4, Playstore, XBOX) means it can be played just about
anywhere! If you don't really want to spend data playing Pokemon Go throughout your day, this
little game is for you.

█████████ ██████ ██ ████ ██████████
██
██
██

██

██
██

██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██

██
██

██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██

██
██

██
██
██
██
██

Last edited by Goostarion on Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:07 pm, edited 24 times in total.
Goostarion

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby koegami » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:47 pm

Reserved miss peregrines home for peculiar children
Don't take please

bjorn avatar art by noch
      you can commission them here

koe - adult | mostly inactive | only here for simas
    discord: koegami | toyhou.se: koegami / alavii-cs

ImageImageImageImage
    ImageImageImageImage
koegami

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby furby. » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:24 pm

Dropping, lost connection good luck to everyone else !!!!!
Last edited by furby. on Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
finishing loose ends, then leaving
if u want any of my pets go wild
furby.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby caesou » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:26 pm

lost connection
Last edited by caesou on Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
caesou

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby y-BearRut » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:40 pm

Username: TheInsaneTwin
Kalon's name: Reggeir
Kalon's Gender: Male
Book/Movie/Game title: "Take Me Out To The Ball Game"
Book/Movie/Game genre: Comical Sports Musical
Review: Tʜɪs 1949 ғɪʟᴍ ɪs ᴀ ᴛʀᴜᴇ ᴄʟᴀssɪᴄ ʙᴇᴄᴀᴜsᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ғɪɴᴅ ᴇɴᴛᴇʀᴛᴀɪɴᴍᴇɴᴛ ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴛʜɪs ᴀɴʏᴍᴏʀᴇ. Sᴛᴀʀs Frank Sinatra, Gene Kelly, ᴀɴᴅ Esther Williams ᴍᴀᴋᴇ ᴜᴘ ᴘᴀʀᴛ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴀsᴛᴏᴜɴᴅɪɴɢ ᴄᴀsᴛ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ʜᴇʟᴘs ᴛᴏ ʙᴜɪʟᴅ ᴀ ᴛʀᴜʟʏ ᴇɴᴛʜʀᴀʟʟɪɴɢ sᴛᴏʀʏ ᴀʙᴏᴜᴛ ғᴀʟʟɪɴɢ ʜᴇᴀᴅ ᴏᴠᴇʀ ʜᴇᴇʟs ɪɴ ʟᴏᴠᴇ; ʜᴏᴡᴇᴠᴇʀ, ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴄᴀʀᴇᴇʀ ᴀs ᴀɴ ᴀᴛʜʟᴇᴛᴇ ᴍᴀʏ ᴏʀ ᴍᴀʏ ɴᴏᴛ ʙᴇɢɪɴ ᴛᴏ ғᴀʟʟ ᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇ sᴇᴀᴍs. Aʀᴇ Eᴅᴅɪᴇ O'Bʀɪᴇɴ (Gᴇɴᴇ Kᴇʟʟʏ) ᴀɴᴅ Dᴇɴɴɪs Rʏᴀɴ (Fʀᴀɴᴋ Sɪɴᴀᴛʀᴀ) ɢᴏɪɴɢ ᴛᴏ ʜᴇʟᴘ ᴛʜᴇɪʀ ᴛᴇᴀᴍ ᴛᴏ ᴡɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ʙɪɢ ɢᴀᴍᴇ sᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇᴡ ᴏᴡɴᴇʀ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ Wᴏʟᴠᴇs Bᴀsᴇʙᴀʟʟ Tᴇᴀᴍ ᴡɪʟʟ ʙᴇ ғᴀᴠᴏʀɪɴɢ ʙᴏᴛʜ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇᴍ, ᴏʀ ᴡɪʟʟ Eᴅᴅɪᴇ's ғᴇᴇᴛ ғɪɴᴀʟʟʏ ғᴀʟʟ ғʀᴏᴍ ᴜɴᴅᴇʀ ʜɪᴍ ᴀs ʜᴇ ᴅᴀɴᴄᴇs ʜɪs ᴡᴀʏ ɪɴᴛᴏ ᴀ ᴡᴇᴀʟᴛʜʏ ɢᴀᴍʙʟᴇʀ's ᴛʀᴀᴘ?

I actually really enjoyed this movie! I don't enjoy sports, nor do I care to watch them or even talk of them, yet despite all of this, I was laughing my guts out. When I say classic entertainment like none before, I really mean classic entertainment like none before. There is no talent that compares to the theatrical abilities of those whom played upon the big screens in the 30's-60's. Even in the 20's you can find quite pleasurable means of movie enthrallment that don't exist today. This movie may have been a musical, which may not be alot of people's favorite, but it was way more than just music and just acting. This movie actually succeeds in telling a captivating story from start to finish.
But, I've gotta warn you, most movies during this time period had what are called "crooners" in the theatrics business. So please, don't be surprised if ya happen to be emotional or tugging for a character to take another path.
(Somehow, I think it would almost be spoiling it if I did tell ya more about it. All I can say is, the very end may surprise you ;3)

I did happen to get this movie through Netflix, but it isn't on the list at the moment.

➓/➓ Everyday, anytime for this movie! If you like the classics, I highly recommend you watch this movie =D
Last edited by y-BearRut on Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
y-BearRut

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zenos. » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:55 pm

username: thug+
kalon's name: everette
kalon's gender: male
book/movie/game title: the gone series, michael grant
book/movie/game genre: dystopian, scifi
review: wip! will also pretty up form.
zenos.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

sobbing

Postby Reiji » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:41 am

I- I- I finished it but the internet went down and resetted everything and my phone is bloody stupid- I'm jusT

Good luck to everyone and Congratulations to future winner
Last edited by Reiji on Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:30 am, edited 8 times in total.
Reiji

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sathalina » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:46 am

Username: Sathalina
Kalon's name: TBD
Book/Movie/Game title: Dust
Book/Movie/Game genre: Adventure/single player/2D
Review: Dust is a 2D game you can get on your Xbox 360, my uncle actually showed it to me not too long ago. At first the whole 2D thing made me go 'ehhh' but boredom got the best of me and I am so happy it did! The storyline itself is beautiful, the art and surrounding art is fantastic <3 You play as a (I think arctic fox, could TOTALLY be wrong. He looks like it.) Who lost his memory after a recent fight with someone, he awakes in a forest not even sure what his name was or how he got there. To his surprise him being awake had woken up an ancient talking sword that had suddenly left the protection of its guard and went flying off to find him. I do not want to give off TOO much of the game (though I am sure that is what you're asking?) But it is really cute and interacting with the townspeople and doing side quests is fun. c:

All in all, it sorta reminds me of playing a mixture of Dragonfable and Oblivion lol the 2D of Dragonfable and the quests/interaction of Oblivion. O:
    " rotten to the core . "
    Satha - She/Her/They - ©
    Just three Kobolds in a trenchcoat.
    Trading pets
Sathalina

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby jensen ackles » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:56 am

--
--

"Shadow of the Colossus is a rather difficult game to review for a couple very important reasons. First, it's hard to talk about the game without spoiling anything, something I'm going to attempt to avoid doing as much as possible. Secondly, trying to describe exactly what makes Shadow of the Colossus so fantastic is akin to trying to describe why the bodies of work of Picasso, Bach or Beethoven are unquestioned classics; you can do your best, but any of these examples must be experienced in full to truly be understood, and especially appreciated."
      - Chris Roper, IGN
--
--

Before you start on my form, I wanted to let you know something: this game is available on only the Playstation 2 and Playstation 3. If you are unable to play this game, I recommend watching Stephenplays's playthrough, which you can find here. A warning though - Stephen uses somewhat offensive language at times.

Username: jensen ackles
                  Kalon's name: Celia - goes by Cel
                  Book/Movie/Game title: Shadow of the Colossus (Videogame)
                  Book/Movie/Game genre: Action-adventure game

If at all possible, I recommend that you listen to the soundtrack while you read, as it portrays the nature and atmosphere of the game in ways that words cannot. You can find the soundtrack here. If you find you greatly enjoy the music, let me know, as I have it downloaded to my Dropbox and would be more than willing to share the link with you.

And a few more things before you move on to my review. There are several images I would like if you could look at, due to the fact that this game thrives off imagery and size comparisons. For reference, those monsters you see are called the Colossi, and there are sixteen of them in the game.

Size Chart // Valus - The First Colossus // Gaius - The Third Colossus
                    Phalanx - The Thirteenth Colossus // Malus - The Sixteenth Colossus

--

Review:
    "So why have I decided to do a LP [let's play] of this game? Well, my hope is that the LP will answer that question. I played this game for the first time only a few months ago, and never has a game affected my perception of video games so strongly in such a short amount of time."
    - Stephen Georg of Stephenplays

There are no words that can truly convey the atmosphere and the artistry of Shadow of the Colossus. Those who play it are left in awe, and the reviews show it. IGN rated it a whopping 9.7/10, and it is a game with limited graphics and capabilities due to the era in which it was released. Not that I'm trying to compare the two, but Bastion was only a 9/10 when IGN rated it - the scores show how powerful this game truly is. Before I get in to anything else, I want to give a few details for the gameplay itself. There are only sixteen enemies in the entire game. The Colossi are the only enemies in the entire game. To this date, I can't recall another game brave enough to attempt this. And these bosses are not easy to access - the game drops you in an abandoned land which takes time to cover. Some of the colossi take upwards of 20 minutes to just access, and that is in real time. But the scenery and diverse landscape presented is more than enough to occupy the mind.

Ranging from cliffs, to green plains, to deserts, to woodland, this game truly makes you feel small. Even the area you use as a base in the game is gorgeous. And that bridge you saw in the desert image? That takes a total of 8 minutes to cross, as seen here. Between the revolutionary graphics, the astonishing soundtrack, the breathtaking scenery, and the intricate and jaw-dropping Colossi, this game leaves players with an unimaginable sense of awe and the overwhelming sense of how small they really are.

Although the controls are somewhat lacking (the game was released in 2005, so controls were lackluster at the time), the game really pushes the climbing factor, much like the later released Assassin's Creed game. In Shadow of the Colossus, you must climb and conquer each Colossi one by one, and they do not make it easy. As you attempt to subdue the beasts, they'll thrash, and throw you off - leaving you with a long, long fall onto the hard ground. One feature of this game that not many others have is a grip meter - the longer you hold on, and the more the colossus thrashes, the more 'grip' you lose. When your grip runs out, you let go.

With this game, Team Ico really pushes for atmosphere - something that Action-adventure games come short on far too often. Today, the games released are almost always gorgeously designed and well thought out. But not a single one of them truly makes you feel the way that Shadow of the Colossus makes you feel. I myself would give this game a perfect score with regards to when it came out, but no game or book or movie is truly perfect. But to me, Shadow of the Colossus is as close as you could ever get to this sought-after perfection.

"The combination of the scale of the game and the music is what made Shadow of the Colossus so memorable for me."
    - Stephen Georg

--
Last edited by jensen ackles on Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:28 pm, edited 12 times in total.
-
-

who are we to wonder where we're going?
who am i to tell me who i am?

call me jen | female | infp | gryffindor

plumieskalsbarnstableswmes

let's take it back and take in every moment
who am i to tell me who i am?

-
jensen ackles

My pets
My items