{ INKLINGS } A Thread For Writers

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

What grabs your attention on a book cover?

I usually look for people on book covers - I like the personal note of them.
8%
I like simple covers, with colors or an easy background.
12%
I love book covers that have one object on them.
8%
I could really care less.
3%
Something different - out of the ordinary.
34%
I love books that look shiny!
6%
So long as the inside description is good, I really couldn't care about the cover.
26%
#Idkwhatsgoingonhere
3%

Total votes : 407

Re: { INKLINGS } A Thread For Writers

Postby winter. » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:21 am

I'd love to hear another opinion on my story.
I've added and edited some more.
The link is in my signature!
whose woods these are I think I know
his house is in the village though
he will not see me stopping here
to watch his woods fill up with snow

the woods are lovely, dark and deep
but I have promises to keep
and miles to go before I sleep
and miles to go before I sleep

c h a r a c t e r s

i'm a lonely teenager who spends all her time on the internet
but you can just call me winter
winter.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby wicked; » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:24 am

Why. is. Writing. This. So. Hard?

I'm still only on Chapter one, and 'Masquerade' is easily the hardest thing I've ever tried to write. ;;
wicked;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rolly-chan » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:53 am

I think I need to repeat my re-application ^^

Username: Rolly-chan
What we will call you: Rolly, Rolly-chan
Will you critique other's work?: Whenever I have time
Links to your story if you have any: -
Anything you want us to know?: I think I had one or two links to stories, but I'm too tired right now /D

And a bit of a discussion/question to all writers

How do you build your worlds? :) Do you have a particular system you go by, or do you do it on a whim, or do you build along the way?
Worldbuilding doesn't exclude stories that are set in our time and world (you need to know the places your characters live, visit, are brought to, etc), so all you non-fantasy and non-Sci-fi writers don't feel forgotten or avoided! You're not x3
Rolly-chan

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Roonil Wazlib » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:24 am

Rolly-chan wrote:And a bit of a discussion/question to all writers

How do you build your worlds? :) Do you have a particular system you go by, or do you do it on a whim, or do you build along the way?
Worldbuilding doesn't exclude stories that are set in our time and world (you need to know the places your characters live, visit, are brought to, etc), so all you non-fantasy and non-Sci-fi writers don't feel forgotten or avoided! You're not x3

I usually put my own spin on fairytales, so my stories are set in the middle ages and the like.
Oh yeah, to actually develop the world...I'm really lazy so I just make it up as I go along *hides in corner*
Last edited by Roonil Wazlib on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
BLACK LIVES MATTER
Image Image Image
Roonil Wazlib

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silverhart » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:53 am

Rolly-chan wrote:I think I need to repeat my re-application ^^

Username: Rolly-chan
What we will call you: Rolly, Rolly-chan
Will you critique other's work?: Whenever I have time
Links to your story if you have any: -
Anything you want us to know?: I think I had one or two links to stories, but I'm too tired right now /D

And a bit of a discussion/question to all writers

Ooh discussion. You know I came on here to rant and boo-hoo today because of my many writing conundrums - My birthday's coming up and I'm a year older and feel like I got nothing done! My life is pointless - you know, that kind of feeling. It's sad when you reach the point where you're dreading your birthdays and I'm not even that old. XP I feel pathetic, but enough of my self pitying! Discussion is much more fun! ^^

I love world development - it's the most fun part of writing. I think it's important to a richly developed and detailed world regardless of what genre it's in. I try to come up with really interesting places for my characters to visit - even in the real world there are so many amazing places.
I usually start with describing the geography of a land - even if it's set in modern times, or a real historical place. That just means I get to do more research. The weather, the biome, the major geographical features. Then I describe the types of people and animals (my favorite part!) - their origins, their adaptations, their culture and technology, their laws, and traditions, how they use the land, how they trade, and why they trade, and also their main conflicts (if they're an animal their main conflict may be a predator, if they're a tribe of nomadic people finding enough food may be the conflict, or if they're a medieval kingdom their main concern might be a war, etc.). If it's set in or based on a historical era, I do research. And despite what anyone says, research is fun. XP Then I pile all my notes and write out the whole page about just the world - the geography, the people, the conflicts that have led to the story or are going on in it, the unique animals and technology (if it's fantasy). If it is fantasy I usually spend a lot more time developing the creatures and races, all their relationships to each other and how they either compete or live together. Same goes for technology, if it's vastly different from the real era, I take time to write out what it is like.
After that, I'm ready to go. A lot of times I do additional research or development of key aspects, and I also will amend my world as I write and discover new things.
Silverhart

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lady Tuesday » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:02 pm

Crit please :D

Thanks! PM me and I'll reply to ANYTHING you need to be critiqued or commented on (This goes for anyone) If it's sent by PM it's easier for me to help more people. :D

i love you wrote:
Knee
My kalons
My Deviantart
Starling Deer Adopts

M a k e
a
w i s h ,

d a r l i n g .
Lady Tuesday

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby abbie-sama » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:02 pm

Ugh. I want to publish a book so bad, but when I start writing -- and it's pretty good -- something happens and I stop. But now I'm in the writing dumps because, of course, I've started to make a fanfic. And I don't know how it happened, but it did, and I love writing it… but I can't publish it. I guess that's fine, but I feel so… grrr… because I'm writing so many chapters and it's coming so naturally. But my own, original stuff makes me hit a writing wall.

It's so twisted. o3o
i'm not crazy... i'm just a little unwell. i know, right now you can't tell
abbie-sama

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby abandoned. » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:07 pm

;abstract wrote:Ugh. I want to publish a book so bad, but when I start writing -- and it's pretty good -- something happens and I stop. But now I'm in the writing dumps because, of course, I've started to make a fanfic. And I don't know how it happened, but it did, and I love writing it… but I can't publish it. I guess that's fine, but I feel so… grrr… because I'm writing so many chapters and it's coming so naturally. But my own, original stuff makes me hit a writing wall.

It's so twisted. o3o

this. without the fanfic stuff XD

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓
AFFLICTION;
something that causes pain or suffering

hey there! i'm abandoned. you might see me more commonly
referred to as 'pie' though. i adore rping, writing and reading.
however, i do not actively rp here anymore. i am on AS, under
the username forlorn. if you want to rp, shoot me a pm!
or even just to chat, i love meeting new people.

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

abandoned.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby abbie-sama » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:08 pm

abandoned. wrote:
;abstract wrote:Ugh. I want to publish a book so bad, but when I start writing -- and it's pretty good -- something happens and I stop. But now I'm in the writing dumps because, of course, I've started to make a fanfic. And I don't know how it happened, but it did, and I love writing it… but I can't publish it. I guess that's fine, but I feel so… grrr… because I'm writing so many chapters and it's coming so naturally. But my own, original stuff makes me hit a writing wall.

It's so twisted. o3o

this. without the fanfic stuff XD

LOL! xD
i'm not crazy... i'm just a little unwell. i know, right now you can't tell
abbie-sama

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby water-witch » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:14 pm

OneRowdyNight wrote:
rain; wrote:
    Ooh, I like it! Sounds like it will turn out as a series. Nice idea!

I have an idea for a story myself. It's about a girl whose parents have decided to mover her from her apartment in London to a small town in the U.S. ( I haven't decided where. I'm really bad at thinking a a good spot for it to be set in. ) She doesn't fit in that well ant her new school, no one knows it's her that's dishing out all the great advice.

I haven't really planned it out much. All I've decided on for sure is that the girl's name is Neil. So what do you guys think?
    ● ● ●

I'd like to read it when you do! I know a ton of small towns over here, if you need help deciding that. (: Do you know what region you'd like it to be in?

ooh, you can? that'd be great! I sort of want it to be in the coastal reigon, but, like i said, I can't decide. by the way, sorry I didn't reply right away, I had loads of homework. ● ● ●
water-witch

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me