{ INKLINGS } A Thread For Writers

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

What grabs your attention on a book cover?

I usually look for people on book covers - I like the personal note of them.
8%
I like simple covers, with colors or an easy background.
12%
I love book covers that have one object on them.
8%
I could really care less.
3%
Something different - out of the ordinary.
34%
I love books that look shiny!
6%
So long as the inside description is good, I really couldn't care about the cover.
26%
#Idkwhatsgoingonhere
3%

Total votes : 407

Re: { INKLINGS } A Thread For Writers

Postby abbie-sama » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:46 pm

I'll post on your post. It always seems to help to have a few added posts instead of ending up bumping yourself. For some reason, when people see someone else has posted, it's like: Ooh... must be pretty good.

---

Thank you! It's great to hear that you've never read the book because maybe that means everyone can read the whole thing. I'll put a summary of the original book (Ranger's Apprentice) so that everyone can know a bit of the terms.
    I'm glad that my words made you feel like that. <3 It makes me feel like I've accomplished something.

I'll be sure to tell you when I post it!
i'm not crazy... i'm just a little unwell. i know, right now you can't tell
abbie-sama

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby broker » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:54 pm

Writing a story, and yup actually writing. ;U; I'm basically doing a guide line right now, there's a number of things I have to research on. (In fact could any recommend a guide to the 10th century?) But I've got a plot set in my head, so yes. Just writing out rough drafts, which is different from what I'm use to. (Checking.. over... every.. single.. line.. after.. writing.. it. xDD)

Anyways. I really need to stay more active with this thread.
broker

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby White Tigeress » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:01 pm

Silverhart wrote:
White Tigeress wrote:
White Tigeress wrote:Oh yes I know how you feel. I have this huge series planned out and Im only on chapter 3...well I tried writing today but I just couldn't get into this mood where I HAD to write and flow my ideas onto paper(computer really). I wrote about 3 paragraphs and stopped, unable to continue. I like animals better than humans xD so thats what I'm writing about, but I can't seem to connect with the very well right now. I didn't want to make it a story that the animals have powers, except for one is a necromancer. No one even reads my stories and when someone does it's usually my sister who gives harsh feedback. It makes me feel like a failier so I don't want to write anymore. So many times I have had good ideas that circle the drain and fall into the sewer... :/ My mom always says that I'm a good writer and so do all my english teachers but lately I can't feel that spark. Maybe I need to write two stories, one with powers to fill my hunger for that, and the one I'm writing now. The problem is I'm afraid both will go down the drain because my thoughts are too jumbled or I'll get bored with both or since I'm working on two my brain will not work for them with the two different perspectives. I'm not sure if I should take the chance or focus on the one I'm writing now...

Are you writing what you really want and love to write? I found that I lose motivation when it's something I can't put all of me into. If it's not a theme I love, if it's not characters I love, I lose the motivation.
If it's writers' block you could try reading THIS and then follow the link at the end ^^ Maybe it'll help.

I have to say thank you(: I realize that what I want to do is write and it's not what I need to do. Maybe my problem is that I get caught up trying to be like everyone else, trying to be perfect, I just don't make my stories me. I'm thinking about starting fresh with a new story line. Delve really far into my characters minds and discover things about them that not even I knew. The problem with this is that I'd feel awful letting my current novel's characters and ideas go to waste. In the beginning I was so excited to write this book and as time moves on the words become boring and forced. Maybe this is because the excitement isn't coming fast enough. I'm getting to a good point in my story but my brain can't work up to that point right now. Maybe it's school. Maybe it's the lack of want to write the story. I'm not sure. Another problem I have is romance. I've never had my first kiss, never really been in someone's arm and wanted to stay there forever. I've never felt the adrenaline or passion coursing through my veins. I don't know how to write a romance if I have never experienced one myself.

Don't know how to write romance?! Obviously you do, look at what you just wrote! ^^ Writing isn't all about "writing what you know". Writing is an adventure! I often write about things I don't know. I didn't live through the Middle Ages, I've never been to South America, I've never been an elf, or a police officer, or a mouse, but that doesn't stop me from writing those things. It shouldn't stop you either. You should know what's right for your characters.
Oh, and yes, that is an awesome link![/quote]

Ah yes, I see what your saying. ^^ Thank you very much! Well I get my romance references from books I read and try to build something from how they act to each other in a steamy scene ^^○ I see what you mean by never experiencing these things. Maybe it's my mind telling me I won't be able to write a romance because I don't know anything about it...well I'll try anyway! I was thinking about making some kind of paranormal romance but...I still have that heavy cloud of doubt about leaving my other story behind. Maybe it is time to move on a start a clean page...but that would make me very sad starting at the beginning for the upteenth time:/ not only that I'd leave hours of work to rot in the garbage. Maybe I should write both at the same time?
White Tigeress

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lady Tuesday » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:05 pm

I've been writing a story set in the victorian era, it's centered around a young mute girl's tragic life back then. Love, tragedy, both ups and downs that I myself have never lived before. I am still quite young (old enough to have a boyfriend, but young enough to not want one. They're so immature at this age.) But still I write about it. Of course, you have to do research and the such, but that only makes your story that much better, and It's time well spent, I say :D

i love you wrote:
Knee
My kalons
My Deviantart
Starling Deer Adopts

M a k e
a
w i s h ,

d a r l i n g .
Lady Tuesday

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby winter. » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:15 pm

@ Creole:
Hey!
I'm writing about a mute girl too.
She also has a romance going on (or at least she will). ;)
I'm not trying to say it's an common idea, though!
whose woods these are I think I know
his house is in the village though
he will not see me stopping here
to watch his woods fill up with snow

the woods are lovely, dark and deep
but I have promises to keep
and miles to go before I sleep

c h a r a c t e r s

i'm a lonely teenager who spends all her time on the internet
but you can just call me winter
winter.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby aphelion ✧ » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:17 pm

{ { *drags body back onto this thread* I haven't been active on here as I would like, but I just can't seem to help anybody at the moment. ;-; And, I've been coughing my lungs out lately.

Any who,
how do you go about a time skip? In my novel, I'm planning on a time skip of about one week to two months, haven't decided the actual time just yet to move the story along a bit more, but to also show how two characters bonded over that time spent together. I'm not exactly sure how to go about it, but I was personally thinking about describing just a few incidents of their time spent together, then jumping into the next major scene of the plot, where they meet a blah blah blah person who moves the story along. I know what I'm asking for is a bit vague, but I like opinions from people who've done time skips. c:

Or, telling of any books with great time skips would be lovely as well.

P.S. I'm in a critiquing mood as of right now since my lungs are dead and I need pretty writing to bring them back to life.

*drags body back into dark cave home*

zu - agender - mega nerd

muse: high, looking for rps
time: i've got all the time!

characters - search - writing
aphelion ✧

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lady Tuesday » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:19 pm

Creole wrote:Please add crit/advice!

(Also it needs a banner. PM me for info on the prizes of creating one)

@Zuchi It would be nice if you added some crit to mine :D

i love you wrote:
Knee
My kalons
My Deviantart
Starling Deer Adopts

M a k e
a
w i s h ,

d a r l i n g .
Lady Tuesday

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby abbie-sama » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:21 pm

;abstract wrote:
    A snippet from my Ranger's Apprentice fanfic. I didn't put anything RA related in there for this little part because I didn't want you to judge.

Is it any good?:

She wished that she could have normal days, that this day could just be another day.
    Lyssa wished that, on that cold morning, those exhausted figures didn't trot up with heavy hearts. She wished her father never had gone on that trip. She wished that she could blame someone, just to get closure, but there was no closure.
    She wished that she hadn't felt the world drop away at her feet. Or the pain, the sadness, the anger, or the betrayl. Everyone had known but her. And she was her father's own flesh and blood.
    And then the fury came as quickly as the sadness. It was harsh and devouring. For the longest time she had absolutely no control over it. Lyssa remembered it clearly—the gnawing void in her heart replaced by tedious and yet somehow comforting fury.
    It was all that she remembered now. Her father's face faded in her memory. She remembered the emotions—such as the happiness she had felt when her father let her try on his cloak, ignoring that it dragged in the mud for that moment of fun.
    The thoughts in her head were painstaking. She wanted to stop thinking about her father, yet she clung onto the memories tightly, knowing that she did want to remember. And it scared her, because what if she thought about something else? Then maybe one more memory would be crystallized into nothingness.
    They (the bullies in the scene before this) said something about her father, trying to get a rise out of her. She barely heard, but it still infuriated her—and her calming tactics began to stop working. Ignore them, Lyssa. They'll get bored and leave you alone, Lyssa. She constantly told herself. But then their insults became harder and harder for her to bare. She felt her usual fire come up, eager to take over her mind with ravenous anger.

@Zuchi, How about this?
i'm not crazy... i'm just a little unwell. i know, right now you can't tell
abbie-sama

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lady Tuesday » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:23 pm

I really loved it ;Abstract! It was deep X3 If you end up putting more on, I'd like to read more of it c:

i love you wrote:
Knee
My kalons
My Deviantart
Starling Deer Adopts

M a k e
a
w i s h ,

d a r l i n g .
Lady Tuesday

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby winter. » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:26 pm

@ Zuchi:
I don't have much experience with this, but I know that in the novel I'm writing, I do time skips.
They're only a period of like a day or a few hours though, but usually I just make sure the reader knows that time has passed.
I add periods in between the paragraphs, but that's just something I do: not all people like to.

On the matter of longer time skips, I'd probably just state that time has passed, as boring as that sounds.
Either through a memory or a flashback or something.
Pardon the terrible example, but something like this:
"As I lay in the grass, my fingers entwined with his, I thought about the last few months we'd shared together and how magical they had been."
See: terrible, sappy, run-on sentence, but you get the point.

I hope I've helped!

EDIT: If you could critique my writing, that would be fantastic!
(Link in signature)
whose woods these are I think I know
his house is in the village though
he will not see me stopping here
to watch his woods fill up with snow

the woods are lovely, dark and deep
but I have promises to keep

c h a r a c t e r s

i'm a lonely teenager who spends all her time on the internet
but you can just call me winter