〄Hᴀʟғ-Bʟᴏᴏᴅs' Lᴇɢᴀᴄʏ〄 [Ch. 4 Up!]

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Are you a new or returning reader?

New
No votes
Returning
75%
I'm not a reader; I'm just passing through
25%

Total votes : 8

Re: 〄Aʟʟ Bᴇᴄᴀᴜsᴇ ᴏғ Yᴏᴜ〄 [Ch. 66 Up!]

Postby Muse. » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:35 pm

Oh man. Break cannot come quick enough. Thanksgiving break may be over as of tomorrow, but with all of the problems health-wise between me and my brother this school year, it's enough just to say "I survived the week". I seriously cannot wait.

Yeah I've noticed that it's slow. Every time it updates it makes me super happy. x3

I can never get tired of Ghost Hunt. Holy cow. xD And I agree about the picture, it's super cute and really sums them up most of the time.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Muse.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby shade. » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:35 pm

HOLY COW.
So, I'm not someone 'coming into the light.' I saw this thread a mere three days ago and immediately got sucked into your story. I managed to read all 66 chapters, although I have to admit it got me in trouble and I didn't finish my homework a couple of times... XD Totally worth it, though.
It's quite a marathon to read, how many pages is it exactly? Never read something in that little days when I know it's at least 500 pages. It probably took me..... 6? 8? Hours. Maybe even longer to read. Probably longer... Three days, that just hit me. I get distracted from books easy, so it MUST be good. :) It's officially in my top five 'reads' as it isn't published. But for one thing, you HAVE to publish it.
All the characters are amazing, and the plot is more creative then I could ever think of! Everything is so realistic... And when I got to about chapter 30 and you put out how many pages it was, I went a little nuts.
Anyway, AMAZING, I personally like Katio the best as a character, but I like serious characters in general to read- Katio's twin would be SO fun to write, though, even if it can get slightly boring.
Taking from your OOC posts, romance isn't your strong point, but please, just a little? Seriously, what you do is not as bad as you make it out to be. Your 'horrible' is good and your 'good' is amazing!
Anyway, big cheers to you for everything, I can't imagine how long this took to write, considering how long it took to read. I should stop repeating myself and let you read this now, shouldn't I? Well, okay.
Thanks again for taking such a long time on a great story! :)
she/them
writing is everything
shoot me a pm c:

░║
░║
░║
░║
░║
░║
░║
░║
░║

-
ImagexxImage
║░
║░
║░
║░
║░
║░
║░
║░
shade.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby scmarshtacky » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:14 am

I'm so glad that you like it. ^^ Welcome to the fan-base.
Right now, I'm sitting at 574 pages on a word document, so it is quite the novel. I'm not really even sure how to go about publishing something. It certainly would need some heavy editing before that could happen.
Okita is extremely fun to write just because he's such a goof. Pretty much anything is possible with him. :P
I will get a little romance in here by the end, I promise. Even if everyone does think it's good, I just have a hard time writing out those types of scenes. Since I've never been in love with anyone, I have to draw on ideas from other works that I've read. It's hard. lol
I think I've been working on this for... four years now? I occasionally had a motivational crisis and didn't write for a couple of weeks. Now with school I haven't been able to do much writing at all. I'll get it done though, eventually. I don't know how authors who have jobs can put out a book a year.
ImageImage
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello to whoever bothers to read this.
My internet home is on Eldemore,
but I pop into CS every now and again
and linger around several other sites.
I'm an avid anime fan and writer and occasionally
attempt to draw. I welcome any
conversations, so feel free to PM me~

ImageImage
ImageImage
scmarshtacky

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby shade. » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:58 am

Glad to be here. (:
Wow, it's a accomplishment for me if I get past 300 pages in a story.
Lol, I have one or two characters in a couple of my story. Totally oblivious, and a totally goofballs. Like you said, just anything is possible and it's funny reading how just- no offense to Okita-Stupid they are, and how annoyed the others get. XD
For the ideas on how to write romance.. I recommend the 'Matched' series. They're a bit of a easy read for me, but the last one, Allegiant, is great for getting ideas.
Wow, four years, I never have the patience for that. Of course, to write 500 pages it would probably take that long.. But still, not patient enough. I always get annoyed and want to write more and more, but you really can't do that with school and all. *sigh*
And I was going to ask. What's your faunt size on word? Thanks!
she/them
writing is everything
shoot me a pm c:

░║
░║
░║
░║
░║
░║
░║
░║
░║

-
ImagexxImage
║░
║░
║░
║░
║░
║░
║░
║░
shade.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby scmarshtacky » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:55 am

Font size is 11pt in Calibri. So the default text setting. :)
ImageImage

ImageImage
ImageImage
scmarshtacky

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: 〄Aʟʟ Bᴇᴄᴀᴜsᴇ ᴏғ Yᴏᴜ〄 [Ch. 67 Up!]

Postby scmarshtacky » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:09 am

Chapter 67 – Dawning of the Great Battle

Mika took a deep breath as the troupe came to a halt at the top of the largest hill in the area. Thus far it was quiet, but it wouldn’t be for long. According to the scouts, the Fire Clan was less than a kilometer away. They would be arriving within a half-hour.

Even though Mika hadn’t slept well, the morning had come much too quickly. It was hard to believe. The girls awoke to the blowing of some sort of horn well before dawn, and they were marching out of the camp just as the sky was beginning to gray.

It was a perfect day though, too perfect for what was about to occur. The air was still, the temperature was mild, and the sky was cloudless. Mika couldn’t help but watch the colors on the horizon change as the sun rose into the sky. She tried her best not to think that this could be the last sunrise she saw, but it was hard to be optimistic.

There was a shout in the distance, and Mika drew a sharp breath. The enemy had been spotted. It was only a matter of minutes. She turned to her friends to find them looking back at her.

“Whatever happens, we’ll make it out alright?” Ayako said, though even she couldn’t keep the slight quavering out of her voice. Even Ayako wasn't immune to nervousness.

Mika nodded. “Yeah. Once this is over we can go back to Japan.”

Kana spared them both a small smile. “It’ll be over before you know it.”

Ayako, who was in the middle of the three, grasped the hands of Mika and Kana. It was a small gesture, but reassuring all the same. “We’ll make it out,” she repeated, more to herself than to the other two.

The warriors around them shifted getting into the appropriate position. About half of the legion, roughly a hundred warriors, were situated on the front lines and would be the first to charge. Mika held her breath and started a mental countdown, estimating when the first wave would charge.

“Mika.”

Her head shot up at Kaito’s familiar, soft voice. He stood slightly off to the side, but had his head cocked in her direction. Their eyes met for a brief moment before Mika looked down. “What?” she asked, voice just barely above a whisper.

He took a step toward her. “Don’t do anything reckless. If it’s too much, get out. Don’t worry about the rest of us.”

For a moment, her mind flashed back to the night in the caves. The night he said something very similar. Back then she had argued, but here, when their lives really were on the line, she couldn’t find the strength. In the end, Mika gave a small nod, but she grasped at pieces of determination. I have to make it through this, she thought. No, I will make it through this.

Kaito stood by their side, quietly, gazing off into the distance. Though he was slightly taller, he couldn’t see well over the backs of the massive warriors in the front lines. Even so, he could hear them approaching. “Here it comes,” he whispered to no one in particular.

There was the whizzing of two arrows being released simultaneously, and a few seconds later, the sound of a small explosion. The stink bombs weren’t loud, but they were still easily heard. Multiple shouts sounded in the distance, and then there was the call to charge.

The barrier of people that was blocking Mika’s view began to disappear as they all launched themselves forward across the field. Some transformed as they went, and their light flashed over the open area.

Kana stepped forward, knocking her own arrow and shifted through a couple of people until she found a good spot to take aim. It seemed like forever before the call to let the smoke bombs loose. Kana couldn’t see exactly what was happening, only that there was a flood of people moving about, but she didn’t need to know the specifics to shoot in the general direction.

With a deep breath Kana raised the bow, drew back the string, and focused the arrow. The call to fire came only seconds later, and without hesitation, her fingers let the arrow fly. The second wave of individuals rushed around her and plunged into the field after the first.

It took several seconds for them to clear, but when she did, she was able to see that the smoke bombs had done their job. Kana moved back toward her friends, and Ayako gave her a high-five with a small smile.

All three held their breath, waiting for the final order. Mika tightened her grip on the daggers, and Ayako took hold of Kanrir. Seconds passed, then a minute, and suddenly the sound of a low howl reverberated through the group. They charged.

Kaito stayed by their side for a brief moment as they moved into the field. “Listen up,” he said, almost shouting over the roar of battle to be heard, “whatever happens, stay alive alright? Rely on each other, and don’t go off on your own.”

All three girls nodded.

“Don’t you die either ahouji!” Ayako shouted, allowing a small smirk to play across her face.

He nodded, a light smile highlighting his face, and then raced forward out of sight.

The first enemy the girls came upon was transformed into a fox. It came barreling at Ayako so quickly that she only had time to raise her spear before it tackled her. They both fell to the ground, the fox on top, and Ayako struggling on the bottom.

She used her spear to hold back its front paws, but its teeth were inching closer her throat. As she pushed upward with all of her strength, she could feel its back claws bearing down into her lightly guarded stomach.

All of them had been given a bit of protective gear earlier that morning, but of course, the humans got the worse of it all. Ayako, with a lot of mumbling and grumbling, had put on the thin leather cover, and then covered it up with a second layer of clothes, the clothes Agatha had given them. Unattractive, yes, but very easy to move it. Now, Ayako was thankful that Kana had convinced her to wear it.

However, even though the leather around her abdomen and chest dulled the pain from the fox’s claws, it didn’t stop his teeth from coming at her face. Its breath smelled wretched, like rotting meat and blood. Ayako knew the smell was the last of her worries, but it was still hard to ignore.

There was the thumping sound of a weapon hitting a body, and two arrows sprouted from the fox’s left side. The beast whirled around to face its new attacker after only a split second of hesitation, it charged in Kana's direction.

Before the fox could get too far, Mika, who was standing a bit apart from the other two, threw one of her daggers. It hit the animal square in the shoulder. It wasn’t quite where she was aiming, but at this point, with her shaking hands, she was simply happy to have hit it.

The fox stopped for a moment, and seemed to realize that it was no longer up against one person, but three. It snarled, but hesitated to move, unable to decide which of them was the greater threat. This was its mistake. Ayako charged, and with a couple swift, sharp movements with Kanrir, she finished the job.

The trio all collectively took a breath, and for a moment they all spared a smile. A silent agreement passed amongst them: they could do this.

They moved forward, slowly entering what was now the heated battle zone. Neither of them had seen so much power being used in a single battle before. The land was scorched as those of the Fire Clan burst into flames and shot at their enemy, and the Lightning Clan wasn’t holding back either, thousands of bolts of lightning hurtled across the field. Although the Water Clan was using their power, they seemed to be more of a support rather than the main attack force.

“Look out!” Mika screamed as a stray ball of fire hurtled in their direction.

All three dove to the side, and looked up to see another two warriors headed in their direction. One’s hands were on fire while the other’s sword seemed to be in the middle of a small tornado. It was the first Wind Clan warrior they’d seen.

Ayako was the first to charge toward them, with Mika on her right side for backup when the time was right. Kana stood back, and fired a shot. The Fire Clan warrior’s golden eyes whipped to his partner, and with a flick of the second man’s wrist, the arrow was cut in half.

Mika felt her stomach drop. These two were not like the minors they had fought thus far, they were trained, skilled warriors. Nonetheless, Ayako met them as she would any opponent: she dove straight for them first, and when they blocked the attack, began to pivot, striking in different areas.

Mika would’ve helped her, except that she was now engaged with the Wind Clan warrior. As soon as she neared him, his nose wrinkled. “Human?” the word was spat from his lips, but was more of a comment to himself than to her.

She paused, waiting for him to make the first move, and he did. The Wind Clan warrior held out his hand, and blades of invisible wind shot in her direction. She could only vaguely see where they were going, and only make out the form of it when it was on top of her. With her heart about to go into overdrive, she ran to the side, in a wide arc around her opponent.

If she couldn’t even get close to him, how in the world would she be able to fight? She’d collapse from exhaustion before she would be able to get close. All this ran through her brain in a heartbeat. No, I have to survive this. We have to get back. There has to be something...

Mika scanned her surroundings. There had to be something she could use, if only to draw his attention. A sudden thought occurred to her, and she reached in her back pocket for the LED flashlight she’d had this morning when it was still almost pitch black. As she ran, she turned it up to the highest brightness setting, clicked it on, and when the warrior turned to stare at her, shined it right in his face.

As expected, the warrior stumbled back slightly, not blinded by the light, but simply shocked. Of course he would be, he’d never seen something like a flashlight before. Mika used the opportunity to dive toward him, keeping a dagger in her right hand, and the flashlight in her left.

The warrior was only stunned for half a second, but it was enough time for her to enter his range. That said, she realized upon getting closer, that he wore the air around him almost like a shield. She could see it rippling around his body. The moment, she got an opportunity, Mika struck at the ligament on the inside of the thigh, but instead of cutting through skin, it was as though she hit a concrete wall. It was the air circulating around his body that was making an impenetrable wall.

Mika felt her stomach sink, and a minute later, she felt a pain across her back. She cut the scream off in her throat, and instead jumped sideways in a blind attempt to escape. There was another sharp pain across her right shoulder.

She jumped up quickly, but unsteadily. Movement in her peripheral vision caught her eye. Ayako was still going head on with the Fire Clan warrior, and by the looks of it, she was making about as much progress as Mika was.

A cold shiver ran up her body. This was what fighting a real demon was like. As Kaito had said weeks ago, there was a difference between a sparring match and someone who was trying to kill. Actually, now that she stopped to think about it, this warrior was playing with her more than anything else. He’d had the opportunity to kill, and he hadn’t. Instead, he was satisfying a curiosity: what exactly is a human capable of?

Mika drew a slow breath, and positioned herself to charge again, but there was a sudden movement behind her. One moment, the Wind Clan warrior was standing there, sword raised to attack with his wind, and the next, a huge gash had opened in his chest.
She jumped to the side to get a better look at who it was. “Sadam,” she breathed, as the water clan warrior’s name came to mind.

Mika looked up, searching for Ayako, and found that Bastir was standing next to her, with the Fire Clan warrior writhing on the ground in pain.

“Finish it.”

Mika looked up at the man, whose voice drew her back to her own situation. She glanced from him to the Wind Clan warrior, who was hunched over the ground as if in pain, and her blood ran cold. Finish it? Her mind repeated.

She knew what the older man was offering. He was giving her the chance to redeem herself. The claim the fight back and gain a victory. But... Once again, Mika glanced at the Wind Clan warrior, and dropped her head. “I-I can’t,” she said softly. “He’s incapacitated. Isn’t that enough?”

Sadam’s features seemed to harden in disapproval, and with a flick of his wrist, the warrior gained a fatal wound and dissipated to dust.

Mika looked away from the scene. “Thank you,” she said, her voice barely above a whisper. She made an attempt at a bow, but the cut in her back stung in protest, so in the end, all she could do was lower her head in gratitude.

Sadam gave her no further acknowledgement as he went to collect Bastir, who was apparently working with him. She knew then that she had failed some sort of unspoken test. She really wasn’t cut out for war.

Mika trudged her way over to Ayako and Kana who were both staring at the spot the Fire Clan warrior had been defeated. Like Mika, Ayako hosted a few wounds, one on her right shoulder, and another on her left wrist, but none were severe. She was glad that they’d both managed to make it out in one piece, more or less.

“Mika!” Kana exclaimed when she saw her disheveled and bloody appearance. “Are you alright?”

“Yeah, I think so.” Mika replied with a small smile. “It hurts, but I don’t think it’s deep.”

Kana nodded and gazed off into the distance. They were still on the outskirts of the battle, but to go into the thick of it, even if they stood on the friendly side was hazardous. Explosions sounded from the battle as the powers of the demons clashed together. Circling above the area were a few Wind Clan warriors, transformed into their full form.

Slowly, the girls started off in the direction of the main battle. They were still quite a way off, when they caught sight of Grinwald surrounded by five or six other Fire Clan warriors. Even from this distance they could tell it was him with the giant axe. Immediately, the three ran off in his direction.

By the time the girls neared Grinwald, he had cut down one of the warriors, but he was a bit worse for wear, showing smaller cuts along his arms, and one cut above his eye. Ayako, sneaking behind one of the warriors as she approached, managed to take them out while they were unguarded, lowering the count to four.

A swift glance passed between Ayako and Grinwald, and the four Fire Clan warriors swarmed forward to deal with their new enemies. Grinwald kept most of them occupied while the girls worked together on one particularly large warrior. He may have been strong, but he was neither bright, nor quick on his feet. Compared to the other two, the girls had no problems dealing with him.

Mika hacked away at important muscles every time she got the opportunity to get within his attack range, while Ayako kept his sword busy. It was Kana that dealt the final blow only a minute later. With an arrow sprouting from his chest, the warrior collapsed.

In the time the girls had taken to dispose of their warrior, Grinwald had taken out another. They now had the enemy outnumbered four to two. They were reasonable odds, and Mika would have been hopeful except that the two remaining seemed to be good fighters.

Grinwald was occupied with both, and it was clear the two were wearing him down, not attacking him head-on, but darting around, forcing him to move. The girls jumped into the fight without hesitation.

The four made sort of a circle, facing outward and attacking as the enemy got close. In that way, it did help with protection, but it’s impossible to kill an enemy without moving. Ayako was the first to break forward, attacking rather than defending.

She struck at one of the warriors, who had particularly red hair and bright golden eyes. His face was devoid of emotion though, making him extremely hard to read. She blocked the attacks that he sent at her easily, but was making no headway on hitting him at all.

Mika did her best to provide her own back up, darting around the man and trying to get close, but she rarely saw an opening. The couple of times that she did manage to get within close-range, the warrior would withdraw several steps, forcing Ayako and Mika to move to meet him once more.

Kana was the last to move forward, firing an arrow every now and again when both of her friends were out of the way. It was when she stepped away, that the Fire Clan warrior made his move.

In a flash of speed, he vanished almost completely from their line of sight, and the next they saw, he had his sword embedded in Grinwald’s back.

The mighty warrior fell slowly. It was as if the time of the whole world had suddenly stopped completely. Though Grinwald didn’t go without making his mark on the warrior he was fighting, who was now standing still within his attack range. With a great heave of his axe, he cut the warrior in front of him, and the enemy vaporized on the spot.

“No...” Ayako heard herself whisper. Then more loudly she shouted. “No! You – You!” she sputtered, to angry to throw out all of the vulgar words that were forming at her lips. Ayako charged blindly as the Fire Clan warrior. With his sword somewhat occupied, Ayako landed a fatal blow. The battle was over.

Mika and Kana were already at his side, doing the best they could to stop the blood. He hadn’t disappeared. He was alive, but the state that he was in now was worse than death. Slowly the blood oozed from his wound, but all of them could tell that this was not something he could recover from.

“Don’t die Grinwald!” Ayako shouted. Her mouth was dry, so the words came out hoarsely. “Don’t...”

Slowly his hand found her, and he gave it a bit of a squeeze. “'S all right,” he managed between a small cough. “It’s been fun, fightin’ with the lot of ‘ya.” His eyes moved behind the girls, and they all turned to look.

Kaito approached slowly, and knelt down at the man’s side. His hand was already glowing as he reached it toward the old man.
Grinwald raised his arm, and grasped Kaito’s wrist. “Don’t,” he managed hoarsely. “I’m too far gone. ‘Ya’ve already given up enough on my account.”

Kaito shook his head slowly, and his jaw clenched. For a moment he seemed utterly lost for words, but he managed the phrase. “I’m sorry Grinwald.”

Grinwald nodded his head slowly. “Young Lord, please, do me one last favor.” When Kaito met his eyes, Grinwald continued. “My boy at home, please, look after ‘em. He’s justa’ lad. Won’t understand, when I don’t come back.”

“Of course,” Kaito replied, his voice barely above a whisper. “I’ll keep an eye on him.”

“No!” Ayako interrupted. The tears that she had managed to hold back until this point finally filled her eyes. “You can’t give up that easily! You –” Grinwald and herself weren’t exactly the best of friends. He’d helped her out more than once, but that wasn’t what had caused her emotional attachment. He had reminded her so much of her dead grandfather whom she’d lost three years before. She didn’t want to go through that again.

She vaguely felt the pressure of Mika’s hand on her shoulder, but she didn’t respond. She gripped Grinwald’s hand, as he slowly started to turn to ash.

The others all seemed to explode. Somehow time seemed to have slowed down, perhaps because she didn’t want to lose him. “Grinwald,” she choked out between sobs, relishing speaking his name one last time.

“Take care of yourself, Ayako,” he said with a small smile before the rest of him faded and drifted away on the wind.
Ayako wasn’t sure how long she sobbed for, clenching her fist that had only moments before, held his hand. Even Kaito, held his head down in a moment of remembrance.

The battle raged on behind them, but in the minds of all four, it was forgotten for the time being.

A/N~ Shorter chapter. I think I need to practice writing emotional scenes. There's some art to writing it I just don't think I have yet. Well anyway, enjoy the action-packed chapter~

<==Chapter 66
Last edited by scmarshtacky on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

ImageImage
ImageImage
scmarshtacky

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Muse. » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:16 pm

I guess to make it a good story there has to be some death. ;-; But still, sad.

How have you beeeeeen? o:

Christmasbreakfinally. *-*
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Muse.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby scmarshtacky » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:26 pm

I've always had a thing against characters dying, but when I really started writing, I realized that emotional depth can get really tricky, and emotion is something I'm not good at anyway. I'd much rather write comedy and action, but with only that, I feel like people will tend to lose the attachment they have to the story. It's something I need to keep practicing, but I tend to avoid it. XD

I've been good. ^^ Now that I'm finally on Christmas break I can get some work done! Already started on Ch. 68, though I'm not too far into it yet. I predict that Ch. 69 will come quickly after 68 because once I get into it, I won't be able to stop. lol

How have you been?
ImageImage

ImageImage
ImageImage
scmarshtacky

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Muse. » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:22 pm

I've been better. Aside from being sick a lot lately, just trying to get through the school year. ^^ Christmas Break could not have come any slower. Especially when you're waiting for it. :T Now I have time to take a break at least!

It's good to have variety so I understand completely. Even I would lose interest in something that was purely the same throughout. A little bit of everything is key. c:
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Muse.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: 〄Aʟʟ Bᴇᴄᴀᴜsᴇ ᴏғ Yᴏᴜ〄 [Ch. 68 Up!]

Postby scmarshtacky » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:53 pm

Chapter 68 – Kidnapped

Kaito was the first to rouse himself from his grief. He hadn’t been standing still long, but already too much time had passed. “Come on,” he said, grabbing hold of Ayako’s elbow and hauling her gently to her feet. “We can’t just stand here.”
He turned to Mika first. “Are you alright?” he could smell the thick scent of her blood, and it made his own blood run cold, but she seemed more or less alright.

“I’m okay. It bled a lot, but it isn’t deep I don’t think.”

Kaito nodded. “Good. I know it’s hard, but I need you to pull yourselves together. Kana, you still have the bomb, right? We need to find a good time to let it loose to strike down as many of the foxes as we can.” Even though he spoke aloud, Kaito was speaking more to himself than to the girls.

“How can you just go on like nothing happened?” Ayako demanded harshly as she met his emotionless gaze. Her voice was still broken, though she’d stopped crying. “You’re comrade just died right in front of you! How –”

“Ayako,” Kaito responded back, his voice unintentionally harsh. “My comrades are dying all over this field. I can’t afford to stand here and grieve a loss when I could be saving someone else’s life.”

She dropped her gaze, but said nothing more. She was still too stricken to think or do much.

For a moment they all stood still. Then, Kana moved suddenly, knocking an arrow and letting it fly into the distance. Kaito had his sword drawn in a moment, following her gaze. She drew a second arrow and pointed it at an individual standing atop a hill just a bit to their right.

He was far off, but Kaito could make him out easily enough. “Okita,” he said slowly.

This caught the attention of both Mika and Ayako who whirled around to stare, and Kana let loose her second arrow.

“Kana, what are you doing?” Ayako demanded, tightening her hands into fists. “If that’s Okita, there’s no need to be shooting at him!”

“He’s an enemy right now Ayako,” Kana replied steadily. “I saw him shoot into the mass of Lightning Clan warriors. I doubt I managed to intercept the first arrow though. The second was easy enough to avoid.” She shifted her gaze to the form in the distance. She had caught Okita’s attention sure enough.

Slowly, he raised his bow once more, this time aiming in their direction. “Don’t just stand there like a deer in headlights,” Kaito said, grabbing hold of Mika’s and Ayako’s wrist. Move on. I doubt he’d aim to kill, but Kana’s right. Okita is our enemy at the moment.”

Mika opened her mouth, but Kaito cut her off. “I’ll deal with my brother. In the meantime, why don’t you find a way to make yourselves useful?” Kaito cast a quick glance in Kana’s direction. The other two were still a bit out of it, but he was sure that she would keep Ayako and Mika together and thinking logically.

“Good luck.” Kaito turned, and sprinted in the direction of the hill. Okita was still shooting arrows at the Lightning Clan warriors, but Kaito could bet that he was deliberately missing vital organs. His brother was too soft-hearted to be a good fighter.

When his eyes finally met his brother's, Okita dropped the bow and quiver into the grass and drew his sword. The two met with a loud clang of metal on metal. For a moment, they both stayed locked together, putting great pressure into their swords. Okita was the first to draw back slowly.

Neither of them were planning to kill the other, and it would’ve been quite obvious to anyone who was paying attention. Luckily though, they were a bit removed from the main battle, and the others had more important things concentrate on.

“What’s going on Okita?” Kaito whispered as their swords locked together. “Why did they bring you here?”

“The Fire Clan’s been giving orders this whole time,” Okita murmured back. “We haven’t known what’s been going on at all. Apparently they have some ‘great plan’ for winning that they won’t tell anyone else.”

Okita broke off as he pulled back and struck a few times with this sword before he interlocked with Kaito’s again. “I don’t know what it is, but they seem to be out to get at you Onii-chan(brother).”

“Me?” Kaito frowned. He was one of the stronger individuals on the battle field, but if the Fire Clan wanted to take a toll on his clan, it would’ve been more productive to go after the military general. What did they want with him? Kaito aimed a few attacks in Okita’s direction, but it was half-hearted.

“There’s been rumors going around about the human girls too...” Okita said slowly. “And about someone in the Lightning Clan who’s been selling us information.”

“The girls I’m not concerned about.” He expected as much from the other clans. The problem was still the informant. “I’ve already figured out there’s a rat.” He still didn’t know who it was, but after this battle was over, he’d have the time to track them down.

The two went silent as they exchanged attacks and blocks, each moving more quickly as the battle drug on. Kaito pivoted around his brother striking at places that were unguarded, though he always moved slowly enough for Okita to react. Not that he particularly needed to, he could tell by Okita’s movements that he was already seeing the future outcome.

Suddenly Okita looked up, though nothing was there. “Light?” he muttered mostly to himself, though the whisper was loud enough for Kaito to hear.

Kana, Kaito thought moving shifting his gaze to the sky as well, though neither he nor his brother stopped their attacks and parries.

“Listen to me Okita,” Kaito muttered as their swords put them in close proximity once more. “Kana’s going to shoot an arrow over here with a bomb that explodes in a flash of light. When it goes off, break away.”

For a moment, Okita didn’t respond, and instead cocked his head in curiosity. “Bomb?”

Kaito had to suppress a small smile. It would take ages to attempt to explain the concept of a bomb to his clueless brother. He simply nodded and continued to move as if fighting. A second later, he saw the arrow flying in his direction. He lifted his hand as the arrow began it’s decent, and as soon as his lightning hit it, the brothers were engulfed in the intense light.

“Be careful Onii-chan!” Kaito heard Okita call as he ran off into the distance.

Their solution to ending the fight with each other hadn’t been a great one, but at least it would give Okita the excuse to get off the field of battle. Kaito would have to praise Kana on her foresight when he got the opportunity.

Kaito slowly made his way back to the site of the main battle and dove into the chaos once more. For the moment, the two forces were evenly matched, but he resolved to change that no matter what the cost.

"Nice hit Kana,” Ayako congratulated her friend with some of her usual vigor, patting her dramatically on the back.

“Well, it gave the brothers a moment together if nothing else,” Kana said. Though she noticed that Okita had taken the opportunity to high-tail it into the woods. “What do you want to do now?”

The battle was still raging, but the amount of explosions had died down somewhat. Whether that meant the warriors were tired or were saving up their strength for one last strike, Kana wasn’t sure, but she hoped for the former.

“I guess we might as well knock down as many as we can,” Ayako responded. “Let’s go find the real battles!” With that, she took off in the direction where most of the warriors were still gathered and fighting. Her heart still ached for Grinwald, but she understood the need to move on for the time being.

Kana followed a bit more slowly, with an arrow notched and her fingers waiting to pull the string anytime she saw a good opportunity. She couldn’t help but wonder when she became unfazed by death. In her childhood, she had hated seeing blood, but over the years that had changed significantly. Even the morals that she had before coming to Akukai – such as never use violence to solve a problem – were a thing of the past. She was a warrior now, and part of her was proud of herself, the other part was horrified.

Kana let a few arrows fly in the direction of a few enemies. They hit squarely in the shoulder, exactly where Kana had aimed them. Mika and Ayako, seeing the opportunity, immediately rushed in and incapacitated them.

They now stood in the middle of the fray, and it didn’t take long for the warriors all to run in their direction. They came in groups of two or three, and as soon as the girls had dispatched a couple, another group would swarm in. Kana realized only too late that this was probably a bad idea. The Fire Clan warriors didn’t seem as strong as the Lightning Clan, but there were much more of them.

Generally, the Fire Clan warriors did not cause the problem, it was the Wind Clan fighters. They girls only encountered a few of them, but took all of their strength to take down just one, and Mika and Ayako didn’t come out unscathed.

One warrior in particular did not fall easily. Kana started out with her arrows, but whatever wind barrier the fighter had around his body was impenetrable. She was already beginning to run low on arrows, and couldn’t waste them shooting at the man.

Ayako and Mika went to work, tag-teaming and drawing his attacks though none of it seemed to make much of a difference. Every time they hit, it was as though they were hitting armor made of steel.

Ayako wouldn’t be discouraged though, she rushed in time and time again, meeting his sword with her spear. It was during such an encounter than a small shock of electricity ran though the spear, and struck the warrior with just enough strength to stun him.
The barrier of wind collapsed. Mika struck him on the inside of his left thigh, and jabbed his right shoulder. Ayako finished the job, and the warrior finally collapsed into dust.

With the loss of Grinwald, Ayako was more vengeful than ever, not missing the opportunity to kill. She had already dispatched numerous warriors, and she had no intention of stopping anytime soon. When she thought about the man, laying on the ground dying, her determination to win came back stronger than ever. She wouldn’t lose to them.

Ayako struck hard as another Fire Clan warrior came at them. The blow was intended to shove him off balance, but he was sturdier than Ayako had anticipated. Instead, he met her attack with equal force, and then overpowered her.

Ayako felt herself falling backwards, and she landed on her back in the grass with the warrior looming over her. Ayako caught her breath as the sword in the warrior's hand came at her throat. For a moment, the world seemed to blur, and Ayako closed her eyes preparing to be hit with a lethal blow.

Instead, she heard the clang of metal hitting metal. “Ayako, move!” Mika shouted between pants. She had blocked the attack with both of her daggers, but she wasn’t strong enough to hold the warrior off for long.

Ayako rolled, tightened her grip on Kanrir, and rushed at the man’s exposed side. He took one hand from the sword, and punched Mika in the stomach, tossing her backwards like a ragdoll. Then, he turned to meet Ayako with his sword, but was too slow. She had already jabbed him in the back. With a final look of bewilderment, he fell to dust.

“Mika, are you alright?” Kana asked as she jogged toward her fallen friend.

The hit had knocked all of the breath from Mika's lungs, but she was otherwise unharmed. After a moment of retching on the ground, she managed to regain her bearings.

“Yeah,” Mika mumbled as she sat up. Both of her friends were focused on her, and when Mika looked up, she realized this was a mistake. “Ayako, behind you!” she screamed.

Ayako whirled around, but it was too late. The warrior struck her hard across the shoulder with his dagger, and Ayako reeled backward with pain.

Mika was already in motion when she felt two arms grab her and rip her backwards. There was a sharp pain on the back of her head, and the world sank into darkness.

Kaito moved steadily along, striking Fire Clan warriors left and right. It seemed to him that the hardest part of the battle was over. The Wind Clan warriors that were circling overhead had vanished, and most of the Fire Clan’s fighting force was annihilated. The strongest warriors remained, but they were few, and faced with four or five opponents, they fell easily. Now it was just a matter of forcing them to retreat.

Looking around, Kaito noted that it was not only the Fire Clan that had sustained damage. Their fighting force was less than half of what it had been, and the warriors that were standing all sported injuries of some type. The girls will have a blast tending to all these guys, Kaito thought with a small smirk highlighting his features.

To the left, an explosion sounded. It was the last of Kana’s fancy little bombs, fired by Konin. They’d certainly come in handy, and if the rest of the warriors didn’t realize the girls were useful, they never would. Kaito jumped into the mass of stunned warriors.

Some still put up a bit of a fight, but most were either too wounded to too exhausted to use their fire. Kaito himself was probably more exhausted than he would’ve liked to admit, but he had enough stamina to keep him going.

A small strike of lightning, and the warrior rushing toward him fell. Another rushed in on his right, and Kaito met the soldier with his sword. They exchanged a couple of attacks and parries, but Kaito was faster, and with one quick stab to the chest, the warrior crumpled. And so it continued.

A couple minutes later, a long howl sounded in the distance. The Lightning Clan was going to move in for a last charge, and it was obvious to everyone present who the victors were.

There was a whistle from the opponent’s side, and the foxes began to flee up the hill and back into the forest. Some of the wolves gave chase, barking and yowling as they moved after them, but the majority of the Lightning Clan warriors collapsed on the ground in relief. It was over.

Kaito wiped his sword on the hem of his shirt, removing some of the blood, and sheathed the blade, hoping he wouldn’t have to draw it again for quite some time.

The generals were already gathering in a central area, and Kaito moved off to meet them. As he walked, he scanned the area, looking at those around him. More specifically, he was looking to see where the girls had ended up. He’d thought, knowing Ayako, she’d be jumping and shouting in celebration, but he didn’t hear her. Perhaps she just fell down like the rest of them, Kaito thought with a small smile.

Again his eyes scanned the area, but again, he didn’t see them. He couldn’t find their scent either. Kaito stopped, looking around much more thoroughly. Something wasn’t right. He’d known where they’d been the entire journey. He’d kept a close eye on them, but at the moment, they seemed to have vanished. Kaito swallowed his sudden anxiety, and ordered himself to think.

They weren’t dead. Of that he was sure. He would’ve been able to smell a human’s blood a mile away. They could’ve taken up the chase like a few of the others, but they weren’t nearly fast enough. The others would’ve lost them in a matter of seconds.

“My lord.”

Kaito spun around, startled by the sudden voice, and found himself facing Miran, one of the warriors who’d accompanied him to pick up the Water Clan warriors. “What is it?” Kaito’s voice was a bit colder than he’d meant it to be, and the young man flinched.

“The little human girls... That is who you’re looking for right?” At Kaito’s brief nod he continued, “I-I saw them. They were grabbed by Fire Clan warriors and hauled off...” Miran’s voice faded as he sensed the anger building in Kaito’s demonic energy. “I-I would’ve helped,” Miran scrambled for something to say, “b-but I –”

“Which direction?”

“T-to the south, my lord.”

Kaito didn’t waste a second. He turned from Miran abruptly, making a mental note to thank the warrior later, and rushed off into the woods.

A/N~ I've got chapter 69 done and I've started on 70, so I'll get those chapters up soon. This one is a little shorter, but I decided it would be useless to simply keep writing fight scenes. Hope you enjoy, and I'll get the next one up relatively quickly. ^^

<==Chapter 67
Last edited by scmarshtacky on Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

ImageImage
ImageImage