⊱ B E Y O N D ⊰

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: ⊱ B E Y O N D ⊰

Postby Kitty-lover93 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:52 am

________________________________________________________________________________

The days had flown by quickly after Nadia came to the Main Square; Harper, as she liked to call her grandfather, had kept true to what he'd said, and they'd even cancelled the annual Choosing; nobody was going down to The Abyss that year, and there was much celebration among the eighteen year old people who didn't have to participate in the grueling process; except for, of course, Nadia, Irene, Catalya ("Kuh-tall-ee-uh, not Cat-a-lee-uh!"), Michael, and Jake, who had been immune to it anyway. The last guy in their group, whose name was Niko, didn't seem to care either... but then, Nadia thought, he didn't seem to care about much other than scowling and staring into space.

She missed Timothy, her old friend, but she still had Holly... and she and Tim had been way better friends than Nadia and him anyway. By then, Nadia couldn't even clearly think of the small boy's face, and if she was honest, it didn't bother her enough for her to really think about it much that she never saw him anymore. The Main Squaresmen had let them get adjusted to the new lifestyle they were in; since the others were all from inside the Main Square, they of course were simply amused by her fascination in the town and how she savored the food. Catalya, at breakfast, had smirked and said:
"That Macronutri must really be terrible if you enjoy toast that much."
Nadia had shaken her head, staring at the other girl with round eyes. "You have no idea."

However, since it'd been an entire two months since she'd moved into the Main Square, they figured that it was time to get moving with their initial plan; Nadia, of course, had agreed rather eagerly, though they could only watch her reaction to the print on her watch: PLAN 2DAY, 1:45. The watches were very useful; they had gotten new ones, which were heavier, had larger screens, and carried the convenience of the six being able to have carried on private conversations. Nadia loved them, but she couldn't quite bring herself to completely believe that they weren't being monitored; one thing they hadn't been given (or six, if each was counted) was a separate room for each of them, or anything better than a simple cot... not even any personal possessions, which they had been told to leave with their families.

When Nadia's parents had found out, they'd begun to cry and had told Nadia that they were sorry for not telling her about her past; she'd just shrugged. Harper hadn't told her anything more about her history, like he'd promised to. She jumped when her new watch shrilled its little tune that meant somebody had sent her a message; scowling and looking down, she read, Catalya: COT. NOW. NO Q.
Nadia frowned at the short, choppy words; unlike most, she liked Catalya, but she never got used to the girl's demanding attitude.
Then, she decided that she had better get to the cots, seeing that it was a GM, meaning she'd sent it to everyone (everyone except for Harper, of course). The building they'd been set in was drab compared to the rest to of Main Square; the walls were a pale blue-gray, and the carpet a dark, rich shade of brown, like the candy called chocolate that Nadia had gotten to try; Catalya had told her that she was just like a little kid when it came to things especially for people who lived in the Main Square, and that eventually, she'd get used to the foods they ate there like any normal person.

Yet she still didn't think she would; after all, she didn't want to get used to the flavors that made her tongue tingle and her stomach beg for more, or the ones that Catalya claimed were relatively flavorless, and though Nadia agreed that they weren't as great as some of the other foods, she still thought they were full of wonder and flavor. When she finally reached the cots- which were all pristine and without a wrinkle in the light tannish comforters -everyone else was there, even Niko, who was staring off into space with a vague, thoughtful look on his face. Jake eyed him in slight contempt, then grinned as Nadia arrived.

"Hey, look, we can start now," he said, sounding relieved. Catalya glared at her for some strange reason, but it didn't bother Nadia. In fact, it'd be very abnormal if she wasn't glaring.
"You're late," she observed bluntly, then turned to the group as a whole, her face dark. "We've got to get something that'll impress these nut brains, or there'll be some bit of trouble. So, any ideas?" she asked, and they all looked at each other- well, except for Niko, who still stared at the smooth white ceiling like it was far more interesting than anything Catalya had to say.
"Well, who knows how far down that drop is, since they've had everyone just jumping in without any outside interference, and they obviously can't see anything if they survive the drop, which would complicate the mission quite some bit... stating the obvious," Jake said with a light shrug. "I don't see how they'll ever need us, really."

Catalya rolled her eyes at him and smirked. "They don't need you; you're just a filler, so they can say there's six of us to impress everyone around."
Jake returned the smirk with a grin. "And my impressiveness has worked, now hasn't it?"
Michael and Nadia exchanged a glance as Catalya's face grew red; Nadia knew it was out of embarrassment, but she covered it nicely by glaring at him.
"Your so-called impressiveness is just plain lame, Jake. Now if you want impressive, check out Mister Silence over there. I mean, look at those eyebrows!" she flicked her gaze to Niko, whose eyes flicked down from the ceiling to look at her for a full moment before looking at his feet.
Nadia frowned, looking between the two. Niko, despite his height, was obviously not the dominant sort of guy, like Jake was. Jake had nothing to be insecure about, Nadia guessed; he was shorter than the average grown man, but he had dark brown eyes and black hair that always appeared windswept, which Nadia had noticed impressed many of the Main Square's young women, including Catalya herself in the smallest way.

Nadia didn't care for him like that, though she did find him funny at times. Jake just rolled his eyes and lounged back on the couch (they were sitting in the living area, which must have been a change of destination, since Catalya had specified 'cots'... and where there indeed was a couch) and propped his feet up on the polished oak coffee table, taking a noisy bite from a deep red apple and grinning.
"You're just jealous." Catalya's belligerent behavior didn't seem to have much of an effect on him, which made her huff and deepen her glare.
"I'm nothing of the sort!"
Michael, who looked troubled, shook his head. "Can we get back to what we're supposed to be discussing, guys?" he looked around, fidgeting nervously. Nadia smiled at her friends. Where Jake was carefree and constantly relaxed, Niko was silent and obviously easily hurt, and Catalya was rebellious, demanding, and sarcastic, Michael was a responsible perfectionist with a knack of getting nervous, especially when they could supposedly be 'caught and thrown out' by guards or Harper, even though most of the time it was just Catalya and Jake squabbling over pointless things.

Nadia nodded to him. "Well, I think we just need to see The Abyss- with lights, ropes, and everything -before we can come up with any answers."
"That are logical," Catalya added with a smirk, raising her eyebrows at Jake. He just threw his apple core at her, a great big grin on his face, and Catalya ducked just in time to avoid being hit.
"Lighten up!" Jake crowed, and Catalya gave him an icy look.
"Why don't you just shut up?" she spat, and Jake made the gesture of zipping his lips and throwing the key out, but his were bright with amusement at his irritating Catalya.
Sometimes, Nadia thought they got on each other's nerves because they both thought it was fun, but she knew neither of them would ever admit to anything like it.

"Great idea," a loud, gruff voice boomed, and all of them except for Niko jumped and spun in their spots to face the man; Jake had fallen off the couch, and Catalya was so surprised, she had forgotten to laugh at his failure. Nadia stared at the man, her surprise quickly fading as she saw the golden swirl that broke the white of his shirt. Guard, she thought immediately; he was a great big man, with dark skin and warm brown eyes despite his intimidating appearance. Jake scrambled to his feet, running his fingers through his hair before realizing it was a guard. He stood straighter and nodded, opening his mouth to speak; Catalya, who had also recovered from her shock, snickered.
Thinking better, Jake shut his mouth.

Feeling the need to say something, Nadia stepped forward, tilting her head politely at the man. "Do you need something, sir?" her voice quavered as she again took in his huge, fit stature, and he smiled, loosing a great booming laugh.
"And she calls me 'sir'," he shook his head. "It's I who' s obliged to call you by a proper name, m'lass. You realize the rank you hold?" he asked, and Nadia glanced back at the others. Catalya raised her eyebrows, Jake shrugged, and Michael shuffled his feet anxiously; Niko did nothing.
"Um, well, do you need something, then?" she asked nervously. Speaking with strangers wasn't her strongest suit... especially not strangers who took kindly to her.
The great man leaned forward so that he came to eye level with Nadia, making her feel tiny. "As a matter of fact, it isn't me who's wantin' something. I was told to fetch you, m'lady, you especially. Twilight Village, I hear?" he asked in a low tone, and Nadia nodded, her eyes growing huge.

"Y-you're sure it's me that you want?" she asked. "Not Catalya, Jake, Niko, or Michael?" and Catalya snorted somewhere behind her.
"We're not from villages, smart one."
The great man nodded cheerfully. "So, that matter's settled. Come with me and I'll take you where you're needed; the rest of all you can wait here until you get signals."
Nadia glanced nervously back; everyone was standing awkwardly, staring at her with some sort of disbelief, like they thought she was actually keeping something from them. Feeling slightly hurt, she gave them an 'I-seriously-have-no-idea' look, but Catalya's eyes were narrowed; Nadia could tell they didn't believe her.
And so, with no other choice, she followed the man out of their house and onto the street, where people immediately cheered and called greetings; Nadia shivered.

There was a cold feeling in her stomach when she looked at the large man that she just didn't like.

________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited by Kitty-lover93 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Some people want diamond rings
Some just want everything
but everything means nothing
If I ain't got you ❤

[ INTO Tʰᵉ Storm ] [ o p e n ]
Kitty-lover93

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby come sail away » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:13 pm

my feedback
    ───────────────────────────────────────
      once again, this is sooo good!
      it is beyond amazing! (;

that was so cheesey, i know.
ι αм α ρнιℓα∂ɛℓρнια ғℓʏɛяƨ ғαи.

passion. devotion.
philadelphia

ғℓʏɛяƨ яɛcσя∂: 9-10-1

ROUX mad, bro? ;]

6 days until i meet Claude Giroux!<3
come sail away

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kitty-lover93 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:14 am

Nadia shuffled obediently after the large man, whose laugh was too loud, touch was too hard, and face too cheerful. She could just sense that something was off about the situation, and that this man had somehow taken pity to her, so he was trying to make it seem like everything was all right. Or maybe, she thought, he was just putting on a show for the people around them, who were subject to the laugh which most of them seemed to find infectious. Nadia kept her gaze lowered to her feet, wishing with every fiber of her being- and for some reason she could only sense -that she could just be back with Catalya and Jake's mindless bickering, Niko's vague silence, Irene's brooding silence, and Michael's overactive anxiety, worrying if they'll be 'caught' doing something they're not really supposed to... which they do a lot of, though they're never bothered.

It made her feel exposed and slightly sick to have been singled out, and she had great reason to believe that it was because she was the only one from outside the wall that they'd included in the apparently highly important group. Yet she couldn't think of any reason why they'd want to talk to her... surely, they wouldn't take her away from the others just to talk with her about solely that? It seemed highly unlikely to Nadia, who saw Harper as the type of man who always needed to have an extremely good reason (in his opinion) to do something, and discussing her being from outside the wall didn't seem to be a point of much interest to him. Of course, he already knew what her life had consisted of: the same boring, everyday schedule, with the same times, sounds, and people doing everything... even the teachers never changed, and though the difficulty levels did, it was gradual and not really a source of excitement.

Suddenly, the great man stopped and Nadia peered up through her dark bangs to see a small, out-of-the-way shack of a house (large, in Nadia's terms, but dwarfed and unexciting by the buildings around it), and in the doorway was Harper. His eyes looked strange and bright, though slightly glazed and dull at the same time; Nadia noticed that they were more vibrant in the sunlight than they'd been in the darkness, with an almost-white, startling blue that was nearly blinding to look at. His skin also seemed weird; for such an old man, he was devoid of wrinkles, unlike he had been in the darkness of the place where Nadia lived; his lips curled up in a smile that screamed don't go near this man, and again, Nadia felt like she was walking into something she shouldn't. It was all she could do to subdue the powerful impulse to turn and run as fast as possible in the opposite direction; like she'd reasoned before, it wouldn't take much for Harper to capture her, with his apparent authority and abilities.

"Thank you, Raffa. Now shoo... the girl and I have business to settle." Again, his eyes gleamed strangely, and Raffa didn't seem so confident with leaving her with him anymore.
"Are you alright, master?" he asked, gaping at the old man, who waved an impatient had and made a small, hiss-like sound that made the great man flinch and back away, his hands up before him. "Alright, alright, I'm a'gone." He gave Nadia a helpless look before shambling away.
Nadia turned to Harper nervously; something about his appearance and behavior itself had unsettled her in an unconfortable way, and her stomach flipped when he retreated into the dark house, which stunk and appeared frighteningly formidable now; however, Nadia followed him, terror seizing her heart and making it race against her chest even harder with every step she took.
When he slammed the door shut behind her, she swore that her heart quit beating for an entire moment, as her breath caught and she jumped at the sound.

He slowly came around before her and eyed her with an open, savage hunger that he hadn't possessed before; she winced and backed away, but he took a step forward even as she took one back, and she found her back pressed against the wall, breath coming heavy and slow, her eyes huge.
"Such a beauty for a stinking village girl. A shame, your offspring would have looked well on the streets, if it were given the chance of... well, existing at all." He had a savage smile on his lips as his eyes glowed brighter, and she swore they nearly sparked with the sickening look that was dwelling there for far too long.
"What do you mean?" was all she could manage, in a low, horrified whisper. His voice was quiet, dangerous, and at the same time, full of unmasked joy... she would have preferred he yell it, as opposed to this horrible... thing he was putting up. And this is my grandfather? she wondered incredulously. By then, it didn't seem likely; not even his jawline or nose seemed familiar.

"I mean what I said," he barked, clearly enjoying my confusion and fear. "And I didn't choose you because you're village-born, but because you have something that none of the others have. You're not completely unattached to the rest of the world."
Nadia just stared at him, not sure what he meant by her having something that none of the others had, though she was sure it wasn't good.
"Well, are you going to ask what it is that you have?" he asked impatiently, tapping his foot and glaring. He muttered something under his breath that she couldn't catch, and that scared her even more... but slowly, she nodded, then tilted her head. She couldn't trust her voice... and Harper nodded, seeming to understand her lack of speech.
"You have people. People that, in the case that it would become necessary, we could use against you. You practically brought them a death sentence, Nadia... what a selfish girl," he purred, lifting her chin with his right index finger. Nadia shivered.

"Holly... your mother, and father... Holly's family... Did you really think we'd let them live among us? Stupid girl. You weren't brought here because you're smart, or convenient, or bright like any of the others; you were brought here because there are many people you're attached to, and we've got them captive. While you had your daydream of them living in solace amongst our high, purebred citizens, the mutts were bound and chains and set up in a torture chamber, where they will be tortured if you fail to complete any task we present to you... medicine," he groaned the last word- no, growled it -and placed his hands on either side of his head, where he slowly shook and then opened his eyes one more, which were even brighter and more unnatural than before. "Yes," he croaked. "Even Holly's little brother..." after a moment, he swayed, then blinked and steadied himself.

"You can't do that!" Nadia suddenly screamed as the full realization of what he meant hit her; Holly's parents had had a late baby, Trevor, and he was merely three years old. Harper's smile returned, and he nodded, taking another step closer.
"Oh yes we can, and we have already. The stupid kid wouldn't shut up. Back i-" he cut himself off and shook his head abruptly, glaring, muttering "Stupid, stupid..." then he seemed to recover and looked back at Nadia, who had tears streaming down her cheeks and her eyes were wide with sorrow as she imagined the little boy's screams of pain, and how Holly's mother would've broken down and been screeching for him just as he would've been screaming for her, if he could talk at all; just listening- or watching the boy, depending on where they tortured him -to him would have been the worst torture possible to the mother.
"But... I didn't mean to hurt anybody, though," she murmured, shivering as the screams she had imagined ran through her mind again.

"Oh, but you did hurt them... and if you try to get them free in any way, you'll kill them. None of them will have painless deaths, either. I'm not your grandfather, either, that's impossible..." His eyes were growing brighter and brighter, and as they did, he constantly placed a hand to his head and muttered something.
"What do I do so they don't get hurt, then?" she whispered, and he turned away, shaking his head.
"Don't tell the others of the missions we'll put you through... or... about this," he pointed to his face, though she couldn't see it. "They'll never believe you anyways... and... they'll be severely hurt... with whip." He seemed to be struggling with every breath he took, and he was shaking. "Go. Leave! Get back to your house... and... stay..." he collapsed then, and Nadia turned quickly away, scrambling out of the house and running all the way back in the direction to the house.

She was so beyond shock at what had just happened. Trevor and Holly's mother, Natasha, had been tortured because she'd been stupid enough to... no, she scolded herself, she never could have seen that coming. Of course everything had been too good to be true, too perfect to really be believable, and then she knew why. That had been Harper's twisted, indirect way of saying that if she presented herself as useless, there would be consequences. Somehow, he knew that she couldn't handle the fact, and she thought it was because he'd studied her for a long time in an indirect fashion by tracking her watch and using the cameras that he said were stationed around the village, and though they didn't pick up sound, she knew that he could still have a pretty good idea of how she and all the other people her age around the villages had acted and reacted to things. And so, going off of what he's been able to observe, he hadn't chosen her because she was smart like the others in her group.

He'd chosen her because she was innocent, fragile; unable to handle violence, especially when it was used against people she'd known and loved. He'd chosen her because she was weak, not strong, and she could easily fall bait to his sick mind tricks, and her mother's sad, tired voice- as she was imagining it -kept running through her mind: "You should have know, Nadia. Should have known. Expect the unexpected... for all is not as it seems." A loud, body-shaking sob ripped up her chest as she flew into the building and into the unnaturally bright bathroom, which was lit with white lights; she tracked mud over the white tiles, and she felt sick as she looked around. Everything seemed to be mocking her, whispering that she was worthless except as a pawn in some delusional old man's sardonic plan, but they were silenced when a loud series of knocks rang around the room.

Nadia just buried her face in her hands and cried harder, not wanting Catalya or anyone else to see her in her vulnerable state. There was an impatient, "Let me in, Nadia!" and then, "If you don't unlock this freaking door, I'll kick it in. Now let me in!"
Surprisingly, it was the voice of Irene, the last person Nadia would expect to care or speak, even over Niko; the raven-haired girl had always glared at her with dark hazel-green eyes had always come across hostile and blunt, rather like Catalya, but Catalya was loud and teasing, whereas Irene was silent and serious. In the two months they'd been there, Nadia had yet to see the girl smile, and she had a feeling that she probably never really would.

So she stood up and opened the door, hiding her face behind her brown hair so as to keep Irene from seeing her tear-streaked face, but Irene was stronger than she looked; seemingly without much effort, the girl forced Nadia to look at her; as always, she wore a grim, scowling expression, and though her eyes look frustrated, there was an unmistakable softness there that Nadia hadn't thought possible from Irene. However, the look faded as Irene realized what Nadia was looking at, and she sighed.
"Look, I don't know what that huge guard told you and I don't really care. But you obviously need somebody, and nobody else out there seemed concerned that you'd immediately locked yourself in here. I didn't ask, but I could tell."
Nadia stared at the girl for a moment before resuming her position on the floor: Back against the wall, knees to chest, arms around knees, and forehead resting on top.

Nadia was vaguely aware of Irene as she sat down next to her, and they remained there for a long time as Nadia gradually started to get over her initial shock, and a bright, resilient, and grim idea alight inside her. She didn't want to fall prey to Harper's plan... she just wanted to know that her family was somewhere safe, and that at least someone cared for or trusted her. Irene had granted the latter by sitting down with her for the whole time; the message that she was passing was clear: Irene didn't have to know why Nadia was upset. No matter what had worked her up, Irene would trust that if she wanted to tell she would, and if she didn't than it wasn't her right to know anyways. Irene was telling Nadia in a way that even she didn't know that she had a true friend if she needed one... and as they sat together, the plan grew, just as the bond that Irene had struck was beginning to.

No, Nadia thought. It's impossible to expect the unexpected. That's just not how we are. Slowly, after hours of sitting in her own self-pity, she tried to gather some strength... and slowly, she opened her eyes.
What she saw made her gasp.

ImageImage

If I ain't got you ❤

Kitty-lover93

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kitty-lover93 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:51 am

Thanks, Sail! Sorry, I missed your post, somehow. (:
    I haven't started Chapter Five yet, but I promise it'll be up soon!
ImageImage

If I ain't got you ❤

Kitty-lover93

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes