{ INKLINGS } A Thread For Writers

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

What grabs your attention on a book cover?

I usually look for people on book covers - I like the personal note of them.
8%
I like simple covers, with colors or an easy background.
12%
I love book covers that have one object on them.
8%
I could really care less.
3%
Something different - out of the ordinary.
34%
I love books that look shiny!
6%
So long as the inside description is good, I really couldn't care about the cover.
26%
#Idkwhatsgoingonhere
3%

Total votes : 407

Re: { INKLINGS } A Thread For Writers

Postby Silent Mist » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:20 am

Do people still post here?
Silent Mist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Zalia » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:28 am

~*Wild Horses*~ wrote:Do people still post here?

yeah sometimes :lol:
One.Two.Three.Four.Five.
Image Image
-----------------
Exenity
|intj| |AAL|

-----------------

You are beautiful.
You are ignorant,
and we are forever.

Image Image
Zalia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MacGyver » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:04 am

Can someone give me some feedback on some of my fanfic? Link to the thread is in my siggie. "Catch-22 Matter" and "Fools Rush In" are not completed so you can skip those two if you like.
Image Image
████████████████████████ ███ ███ █████
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰

█████ ███ ███ ████████████████████████
▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪
Image Image Image Image Image
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
DIXIE INSTA ART

ɪ ᴀᴍ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴀᴅ ᴋᴇᴇᴘᴇʀ
HaruMakoNagisa
ReiRinMomo
SousukeNitori

CSCC Iwatobi Dog Chat

WIP
MacGyver

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silverhart » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:50 am

I'll have to check out your story when I get the chance Rose!

So, you guys wanna help me out? :D I have a new idea for a story - it's going to be just for fun - no pressure for publishing or sharing or anything, but I haven't had any nice ideas in a while and I felt like pursuing it since I've been dragging my feet with all of my stories recently, so I figured I'd do something new and different.
It's set in modern day which is new for me, and it's a fantasy for older children/young teens. Like I said, fun.
I'm trying to figure out a nice modern American name for my main heroine. I went through the 1000 most popular names from several years ago, and here are the one's I liked best for the character:

Kelsey; Grace; Chloe; Brandi/Brandy; Kennedy (Apparently a girl's name, who knew?); Chelsey; Robin; Skyler; Eleanor; Juliette; Kiley

I just want a general opinion on what names everyone likes, doesn't like, think may be overused, etc. I want a strong name for her, and she's around mid teen years; 15, 16, I haven't exactly decided. I'm leaning toward Chloe, Robin or Kiley I think. So, what do you guys think?
Silverhart

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rolly-chan » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:05 am

I'm sorry I wasn't here for a veeeeeery long time. I should have told you that I'd be too busy with university (bachelor thesis >_>)... sorry v.v

So... did anything outstanding happen while I was busy not freaking out? xD

I'm still busy, btw. Never make the error of doing your thesis in a group. It's tiring and it sucks all the energy out of you (not to mention the time...).

@Silverheart
I personally love the name Chloe =3 I don't know, but I always associate Brandy with alcohol *cough* and Skyler somehow always sounds like a boy's name to me. And pardon me, but I always think of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet when I read any form of the name Juliet. I guess I don't like giving characters this name because Juliet dies (by stabbing herself, no less).
But I think Robin and Kiley are decent names, too ^^
Rolly-chan

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SunnyJustice » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:22 am

My username used to be Clove, but I recently changed it to Two - would it be okay if you could change it on the front page? ^^
Silverheart; Like Rolly-chan, I support the name Chloe. ^^

Additionally...

Username: Two
Story link: Clicky
Thank you.
SunnyJustice

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vulturous » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:10 am

Two wrote:My username used to be Clove, but I recently changed it to Two - would it be okay if you could change it on the front page? ^^
Silverheart; Like Rolly-chan, I support the name Chloe. ^^

Additionally...

Username: Two
Story link: Clicky
Thank you.

updated, but we have a username-change form for a reason.

~

in other news, i haven't made much progress in my story, nor have i had much time online. i've been updating the front page as needed, and this will most likely continue for some time.
vulturous

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silverhart » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:23 am

Thanks guys! I'll definitely consider Chloe! It's a nice name. You're right about Juliet/Juliette, Rolly-Chan. I think I'll strike that and Brandy off my list. (Brandy kind of sounds like the name of a very perky, outgoing character, and I'm not sure I want that for this character).

I'm not used to picking out names for modern characters. XP The rest of the characters in the story mostly have fantasy-type names. I always find heroine names to be hard to choose. You want to have a good name that a reader can connect with and still be somewhat unique.
Silverhart

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby princess pudding » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:57 am

I don't mean to prod, but...
      I've just finished chapter two of my current novel, Fairytale.
      It's about a young witch attempting high school to keep her identity a secret,
      but only to become a target of many. The link is my my signature. ^^
Image pud / demigirl / panImage

muse: not looking [unless specified]
work schedule: sat 11am-5pm
princess pudding

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rolly-chan » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:13 am

Others will disagree about the Juliet part, but yeah, that's what that name stirs in me xD

My biggest worries almost always were character names xD So I totally get you there. I mean, there you go, think up a character's history, his fears and ambitions, failures and achievements and all that's important for you and your story, and then you have your presumably three-dimensional character and all that's left are the "numbers" and hard facts - age, date of birth, name, etc. I found it hard to come up with nice, fitting names that did the character justice. I mean, if you give your character a boring, 08/15 name like, I don't know, Paul, then you feel like it takes away from his awesomeness (at least I feel that way).
But lately I don't seem to have problems to come up with names at all. Lol. It's weird.

Quite some time ago I had this original story idea and came up with seven characters, and afterwards I had no problems coming up with or choosing their names. I just waded through name lists and picked the names that I thought fitted. And now I have my little army of Elijah, Nathan, Abigail, Michael, Stella, Naomi and Evelyn. I even have middle and last names XD
Now, all that's left to do is write that story (since I've already planned everything). I won't be posting it here, since it's WAY too violent, explicit and triggering for a family site. Let's just say the supernatural aspects of that story require my characters to have severe traumas. There will also be quite a bit of emotional and physical torture.
Yep, seems like I discovered my sadistic side in writing.
Rolly-chan

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me