{Uᴍʙʀᴀ} . {Rᴇᴀᴅ ᴀɴᴅ ᴄʀɪᴛɪǫᴜᴇ!}

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

This is going to influence the outcome of the story. Which do you prefer?

Happy endings
9%
Sad endings
91%

Total votes : 11

{Uᴍʙʀᴀ} . {Rᴇᴀᴅ ᴀɴᴅ ᴄʀɪᴛɪǫᴜᴇ!}

Postby spiff » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:16 am

U M B R A
The air is heavy upon the shoulders of the tribe wolves. The forest holds its breath. A breeze passes through the skeletal branches of the trees. And with it comes an omen, a prophecy of darkness never before heard of in this idyllic setting. A harbinger of unspeakable times to come, of bloody days that will make the river run red, of nights that will choke them to death, of the moment when the stars will turn their backs. An augury of a horror so unspeakable it burned and scalded the throats and tongues of the shamans who had the misfortune of becoming the messenger. The gods are angry, and the tribes will suffer. The Reckoning has begun.
Last edited by spiff on Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
spiff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

{Uᴍʙʀᴀ} . {Nᴏᴛᴇs.}

Postby spiff » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:17 am

N O T E S
Before you go ahead and get all devoted to Umbra or something, I’d like to say that of all the stories I've posted on CS -- which is quite a lot -- I have not finished one of them, so I advise you not to get your hopes up too much, if I’m even capable of writing something good enough to do that to you. Perhaps it’s boredom. Perhaps I hit a writer’s block and lose all interest. Sometimes I think of myself as an idea factory. I like to get hyped up on these amazing ideas that sound totally awesome in my head, but more often than not I don't have the patience and perseverance to carry them out. This leads to the plethora of the first few chapters of various stories that you’ll find lying around if you search hard enough. As with most of the threads I create, I have great things planned. I’ll add chapters as quickly as possible, which may turn out to be not very quck at all, and there’s always the possibility that I’ll leave this to rot. Right now, I look forward to writing this, of course, and I hope you -- if I’m actually addressing an audience that doesn’t just exist in my imagination -- enjoy reading it. It gives me the most wonderful feeling when I see someone else has posted on my thread, and I cannot imagine a better motivator than knowing someone out there would like me to continue.

I am always striving to improve; I posted this so I could get feedback from other people. So what if you hate my story? If you’re going to waltz in and say so, I couldn’t care less. On the other hand, if you see a bunch of things wrong and are actually willing to point them out to me, I’m all ears. Bottom line is, feel free to tear this apart, but if you’re just going to fling hate around, that defeats the purpose and you’ll only humiliate yourself. As long as you have the reasons to back up your claims, I’ll listen, and you’ll gain respect in my eyes for having the courage to be honest to my face.

Thank you for your time. And now, without further ado, let us begin the journey. I hope Umbra meets your expectations.
Last edited by spiff on Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:49 am, edited 5 times in total.
spiff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

{Uᴍʙʀᴀ} . {Tᴀʙʟᴇ ᴏғ Cᴏɴᴛᴇɴᴛs.}

Postby spiff » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:18 am

C H A P T E R S
Last edited by spiff on Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:51 am, edited 5 times in total.
spiff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

{Uᴍʙʀᴀ} . {Tʀɪʙᴇs.}

Postby spiff » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:19 am

T R I B E S

The history of the tribes is one that is passed from generation to generation without fail. WIP

The chief is the leader.
The deputy is his/her second in command.
Shamans serve as both medicine wolves and the tribes’ connection with the gods. If there is a warning or prophecy from the stars, they are the ones who deliver it. Only those with the gift can communicate this way, so pups are carefully watched for signs of it.
Subordinates hunt and patrol the borders for loners and other unwelcome guests. In the past, they were also trained to fight, but today the tribes’ peaceful relationship has no need for warriors.
There is no set age for when a wolf becomes an elder, but when a subordinate feels like he or she can no longer hunt well enough to contribute to the tribe, it is a generally unspoken transition from hunting to lending their assistance around camp to the best of their abilities. Greatly respected for their seniority, experience, and wisdom, they often have many stories to tell the young ones, although adults sometimes stop by to listen and remember.

Well, this is going to be a lot of work.

Tribe of the Burning Heavens
Chief:
♀ North Star [Star]
Deputy:
♀ Flicker [Flicker]
Shaman:
♂ Ash [Ash]
Subordinates:
♂ Sunset [Sun]
Elders:
full name [nickname]

patron god: Zyrr
These fierce wolves were once warriors, and though the tribes have lapsed into a lethargic peace, they train their subordinates anyway, claiming it is simply to honor Zyrr. However, there are rumors going around that the tribe is preparing to take over the forest, and it is common knowledge that their ancestors were the most fiercely opposed to the treaty.
-description of territory-

Tribe of the Dark Waters
Chief:
♂ Minnow [Minnow]
Deputy:
♂ Heron [Heron]
Shaman:
♂ Ripple [Ripple]
Subordinates:
♀ Finch [Finch]
♂ River Flood [River]
♀ Blue Eyes [Blue]
Elders:
full name [nickname]

patron god: Istelti
The wolves of the Dark Waters are known for their level-headed reasoning and mild, flexible nature. The young ones are taught to value knowledge and ask questions.
Glittering darkly under the cold light of the stars from where it rests just outside camp, the lake that gave this tribe its name is a truly enchanting sight at night. The river that feeds it winds around the tribe’s territory, providing a natural barrier on several sides from those who cannot cross its fierce waters. The wolves of the Dark Waters are adept swimmers, and pups often play in the slower-moving parts of the river and the shallow depths of the lake, where they learn to fish.

Tribe of the Greenland Valleys
Chief:
♀ Morning Dew [Dew]
Deputy:
full name [nickname]
Shaman:
full name [nickname]
Subordinates:
♀ Briar Rose [Rose]
Elders:
full name [nickname]

patron god: Reil
At ease with the nature around them, the wolves of this tribe are considered to be the most serene out of all of them. Strongly opposed to war and conflict, these pacifists were the ones to propose the treaty in the first place. They are viewed as rather quaint and eccentric by the rest of the tribes, but completely harmless beings that couldn’t hurt a fly.

Tribe of the Whispering Trees
Chief:
♂ Bear’s Courage [Bear]
Deputy:
full name [nickname]
Shaman:
♀ Morning Star [Morning]
Subordinates:
♂ Blue Jay [Jay]
♀ Rain Dancer [Rain]
♀ Songbird [Song]
Elders:
full name [nickname]

patron god: Tarwe
-description of beliefs-
Last edited by spiff on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:27 am, edited 9 times in total.
spiff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

{Uᴍʙʀᴀ} . {Gᴏᴅs}

Postby spiff » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:21 am

G O D S

Aarsel
???

Fenstyn
???

Haltir
messenger

Istelti
wisdom

Ketriar
sun

Lakendra
moon

Mistary
love

Reil
nature

Rynri
???

Sevka
healing

Shalitkat
ruler of the stars; king of the gods

Tarwe
the hunt

Varra
???

Zyrr
war
Last edited by spiff on Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
spiff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

{Uᴍʙʀᴀ} . {Pʀᴏɴᴜɴᴄɪᴀᴛɪᴏɴs}

P R O N U N C I A T I O N S

Aarsel
ARE-sil

Fenstyn
FEN-stin

Istelti
iss-STELL-tee

Ketriar
KET-tree-arr

Lakendra
lih-KEN-druh

Mistary
mist-STAR-ree

Reil
RAIL

Rynri
RIN-ree

Sevka
SEV-kuh

Shalitkat
shall-it-COT

Tarwe
TAR-way

Varra
VAR-ruh

Zyrr
ZEER
Last edited by spiff on Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
spiff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

{Uᴍʙʀᴀ} . {Rᴇsᴇʀᴠᴇᴅ}

R E S E R V E D
Last edited by spiff on Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
spiff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

{Uᴍʙʀᴀ} . {Rᴇsᴇʀᴠᴇᴅ}

Postby spiff » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:22 am

R E S E R V E D

My pets