.Never.Cry.Wolf. (Posting Welcome!)

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

.Never.Cry.Wolf. (Posting Welcome!)

Postby asexual pirate;; » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:08 am

Prologue
Vampire

“What’s your name?”
“My name?”
“Yeah. Your name.”
The speakers were a man and a woman, the man leaning his back against the bar counter as he sat on a stool, his hair was raven-wing black, falling across his forehead in a shaggy curtain. His eyes were large and such a light gray they looked white. His cheekbones were high on his pale, narrow face, and he looked dark. Nevertheless, the woman was sitting on the barstool next to him, her silver earrings flashing with the colors of the nightclub.
“How ‘bout you tell me your name first, sweetheart?” he said, a small smirk curving his lips as he watched her with a cat-like gaze, like he was stalking a mouse.
She rolled her eyes and laughed, flipping her brown hair away from her shoulders. “I’m Mary. Now will you tell me your name?”
“Wren. Aidan Wren,” he replied, dropping one eyelid in a wink.
“Nice name. Isn’t wren a bird?”
“Yes. It is,” Aidan nodded, catching the gaze of a tall, dark-haired woman across the nightclub, who was leaning back against the wall, watching in silent amusement. “So, you feel like dancing Mary? Or can you dance?” he asked, turning his gaze towards her and smiling, though he showed no teeth in his grin, casting a wicked look on his face.
“Oh, I can dance,” Mary laughed, taking his hand as he stood up and offered it to her, straightening his black and silver leather jacket with the other hand as he led them out towards the dance floor.
Minutes later, the two were in the back alleyway, Mary laughing in complete amusement as Aidan smirked faintly to himself, looking down both sides of the alleyway.
“I had fun. You’re a good dancer,” Mary said.
Aidan grinned down at her. “Hmm… I don’t know if I’ve had enough fun,” he said, snagging her wrist and pulling her closer. A blush spread across Mary’s cheek as he lifted her hand, pressing a kiss on the inside of her wrist. His eyes fluttered closed as he felt the vein pulse underneath his lips.
“What do you mean?” she said.
Aidan didn’t reply directly, opening his eyes. “Can you keep a secret, Mary?”
Mary’s smile changed to a frown. “Yeah. Why?”
“I have one for you,” he murmured, pushing her hair away from her neck and bending closer, feeling his fangs brush the inside of his bottom lip, the razor points drawing blood.
“O-okay. I can keep it,” Mary stammered uncertainly.
Aidan smiled, showing his teeth this time. Now, his fangs were perfectly visible, his eyes turning black as he watched all the blood drain from the girl’s face. “You won’t keep it very long. I’m the siren that sucks you dry,” he whispered, lunging for her neck.

“Damnit Aidan! You know we cannot feed on humans!”
There was a crack of wood as a muscular, short man slammed his closed fist onto a table, the wood splintering beneath his knuckles.
Aidan lounged in a chair on the other side of the desk, inspecting one hand and shrugging. “I don’t know what to say Steve. Vampires were always meant to drink human blood. Animals are just substitutes so we could fade into legend. So people today could scoff at us.”
The room they were in must have been a large study at one point, but the windows were boarded up behind thick curtains, so not a peep of sunlight shone through. There were no lights lit in the room, and the two figures were shrouded in complete blackness, although they could see each other perfectly like it was daylight.
“Your wrong Aidan,” Steve’s voice was a low hiss, like an angry cat’s. “We switched to drinking animal blood so man would stop hunting us down and killing us like some feral, livestock-eating wolf! We were almost extinct and you know it! You were there.”
Aidan met Steve’s darkening eyes with his own, a small smirk playing across his lips. “Well, we aren’t even close to being extinct these days. On the plus side, man is much more of an idiot now. Do you see how many people are on this god-forsaken world? We could feast until their pale corpses littered the streets and there’d still be billions left!”
“And we would be persecuted again, Aidan!”
Now Aidan’s voice turned to a furious snarl. “Shut up Steve! We are not some werewolf or shape shifter or Elemental. It’s nearly impossible to kill us and we don’t have to hide! We could wander the streets where people knew what we were and feared us! We could be like the wolves that hunt elk.”
“Man will not understand that Aidan!” Steve snapped, slamming his fist viciously into the desk again, either ignoring or not hearing the sharp crack as the desk gave way and fell into itself. “They will think us murderers and deranged serial killers! They will lock us up and we will burn in the sunlight to a pile of ashes. Think about it.”
“I did think about it. I’ve had thousands of years to think about it,” Aidan whispered calmly, standing up. “And if you won’t listen to me, I’ll leave,” he said.
“Then close the door behind you,” Steve pointed to the study door. “If you are not gone by nightfall, I will kill you myself, you are a disgrace Aidan.”
Aidan rose to his feet, staring at Steve in shock. “You’re not serious.”
“I am very serious. I do not care if you get caught by man. Or if you burn in the sunlight. Or you cannot find a place to stay without terrifying the poor people you bargained for it! You must be out at nightfall. No one here will be allowed to speak your name because you cease to exist as soon as the night chokes out the last, clawing rays of the sun,” Steve said calmly, turning his back to Aidan.

((Well, that's the first part. Chapter One is still in progress, but almost done. Any comments or friendly critique/constructive criticism is welcome, and if you have any suggestions, please PM me instead!))

My previous username was better version.

ImageImage

dragons for sale
asexual pirate;;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: .Never.Cry.Wolf. (Posting Welcome!)

Postby asexual pirate;; » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:08 am

Reserved

ImageImage

dragons for sale
asexual pirate;;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby asexual pirate;; » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:10 am

Reserved

ImageImage

dragons for sale
asexual pirate;;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gin Ichimaru <3 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:28 am

(ERMERGERD AWESOMENESS. *drooling and waiting for the next chapter*)
- They're not magical reindeer...at all.
- Really...?
- Of course. If you whip any animal they will either die...or fly.

- Ugh...It won't come off! *whine* it's like a candy cane prison!

- AW CRAP MY GLASSES!

Twisting to our rights? To our rights? Are you guys idiots? To our rights? Do you know where your right is?"
Gin Ichimaru <3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby asexual pirate;; » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:31 am

(Don't ruin it with your drool! And I'm working on it. ^^)

ImageImage

dragons for sale
asexual pirate;;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gin Ichimaru <3 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:32 am

(D:< Fine fine....and it's really really good. It's amazing...))
- They're not magical reindeer...at all.
- Really...?
- Of course. If you whip any animal they will either die...or fly.

- Ugh...It won't come off! *whine* it's like a candy cane prison!

- AW CRAP MY GLASSES!

Twisting to our rights? To our rights? Are you guys idiots? To our rights? Do you know where your right is?"
Gin Ichimaru <3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby wolves+horses » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:13 pm

It's refreshing to see a story with the old type of vampires in it. :) And I love that last sentence, about the night choking out the last rays of sunlight. That just sounds so cool! XD

wolves+horses

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby AninaAna » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:15 pm

Tis is really good! I love your writing style, I can't offer much critique for this, I can't think of any to give!
nothing to see here
AninaAna

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby asexual pirate;; » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:22 pm

Thank you both! Good comments are always encouraging. ^^ Usually I can't do prologues or the beginnings of stories well, and I'm glad everyone so far likes this. :thumbup:

ImageImage

dragons for sale
asexual pirate;;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby AninaAna » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:33 am