★ taming a firefly ★ sunbun's tolter event post

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

★ taming a firefly ★ sunbun's tolter event post

Postby SunsetPatches » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:16 pm

table of contents;;
1: a meeting at dusk
★ 2. first light
3. too many voices
4. making friends
5. slow-twitch
★ 6. making “friends”
7. pixie dust
8. watcher on the walls
9. i’ll fly
★ 10. gum leaves and petrichor
11. where you lead
★ 12. i will follow
★ 13. catastrophe
★ 14. soar
(chapters with a ★ are optional and do not count towards the nine required entries)

links bar:
bear run equestrian, tolter taming event, sunset lodge tolters, the writing doc, firefly's adoption page, sister story: a seagull's journey

no posting, please c:
still a work in progress! if you'd like to follow my progress, visit the writing doc on google drive (link above), where i'll be brainstorming and documenting my progress on chapters before they go live on this thread ^^

just a little note before you read:
most of these entries are based on some memories of mine c:
back when i was in school, my best friend and her family were (and still are, although we’ve long since drifted apart) breeders of pinto horses, and i spent a lot of time at her house, helping with the more high-strung ones and watching her at work. some of these entries may seem a little cliche or like they’ve been done before, but i wanted to take those memories and transform them into something that was mine, and not something that reminded me of the less fun times I had with said friend (and the fact that we're no longer close).
firefly’s journey will always be special to me and it’s so meaningful being able to write about something that i’ve seen and done, using so many tiny specks of memory as inspiration.
please, enjoy C:

all images and writing by me, sunsetpatches.

Last edited by SunsetPatches on Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:35 pm, edited 8 times in total.

account inactive, contact me via DA!
hello everyone! i'm sunny, nice to meet you! :3 she/her
avatar by flyteck, koda pixel by foxbourne on DA! my inbox is always open,
i love to chat + i'm always here if you need someone to listen! ily guys
currently: nope nope nope nope nope nope
tolters」「wmes」 「other creatures」 「DA」 「flight rising」「taming firefly」「seagull's journey」[/size]
SunsetPatches

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

★ taming a firefly ★ entry one ★ a meeting at dusk

Postby SunsetPatches » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:59 am

★ chapter one - a meeting at dusk ★

The curtains were tightly shut against the baby-faced glare of the newborn sun as an absurdly cheerful beeping rang out throughout the room.
‘Morning… already?’ mumbled Rose McEirnan, voice half-muffled by layer upon layer of blankets. With a barely audible grumble and a roll of her eyes, Rose’s hand emerged from the blanket mountain to switch off her phone alarm and check the time.
6am, rise and shine. Hooray.
More grumbling and half-formed complaints emerged as she hauled herself out from under the blankets, shivering as she yanked on a clean pair of joddies and threw on whatever else she could find, as long as it was warm. Outside, it was barely even autumn - the few trees around Sunset Lodge that dropped their leaves hadn’t even started to turn yellow yet - but winter was coming fast, and even though the days were still scorching the early mornings had a noticeable chill around the edges.
And, for some god-forsaken reason, horses needed to be taken care of in the mornings, and this particular day Rose had an auction to get to (since all the organisers decided to host these things in the mornings, too. What was it with horsey people and liking mornings so much?). Rose stifled a yawn, scrubbing at her eyes as she tromped through the house and out the screen door with a huff. She loved her tolters, really - more than anything - but sleep was a very valuable thing.
Jánna the Icelandic sheepdog raised her head as Rose left the house, her long russet fur sticking out in all directions after yesterday’s long hard day of rolling around in the dirt. Rose grinned at the long pink tongue rolling out of the dog's mouth.
‘You’ll get your food in a minute, girl,’ she said as she walked past, giving the dog a scratch behind the ear on her way to the feed shed. Her tolters (of which there were a rapidly growing number - but that was justified, being one of only two certified Icelandic breeders in Australia ...right?) were usually hard fed in the morning and given hay at night for the most part, apart from the more fussy eaters or those that were harder to keep weight on (like Mr. Worrypants Orrin, who took so long to eat anything that the yearlings often stole it from under his nose, or little Penny, who always seemed just a little on the frail side). But, not this morning. Rose was already running late, and her tolters had the run of the paddocks and green pick aplenty. Some biscuits of hay each and a few hard feeds and then she would have to be on her way - the auction opened at nine, and Rose wanted to be first in line.
The gossip had been rife. It was exceedingly rare to find such a cache of beautiful tolters in the wild, rare as they were, and for a few of them to be exported to Australia for the saleyards was practically unheard of. The friendly rivalry (which was mostly friendship, to be fair) between Sunset Lodge and New South Wales’ Invergowrie Stud was the cause of most Icelandic imports to the country, although there were a fair few of the breed competing in local circuits, some privately imported, but most bred by the two registered studs .
The word was out that there were to be two Icelandics in the monthly sales, so Rose’s face was expected to be among the crowd. Not that she needed any more, of course - thirty-seven was more than enough for her to handle on her own, even if some weren’t on her property (being leased out to compete on or breed with) - but it couldn’t hurt to look, could it?
Besides, she liked helping out at the saleyards. Something always seemed to go awry.
There was a fine coating of dust on seemingly every surface in the stables’ feed room, and more than a few motes of the dark-red powder in the air that were caught in the morning sunlight, as Rose brushed off a few stray strands of chaff from the feed bins and scooped out beet pulp and pellets for Pría, Orrin, Penny, and Riverdance. Another bucket was set aside for Koda with only a tiny half-scoop of horse museli and a hefty helping of chaff inside - the mare tended to hold a grudge if she got left out of the morning feed, despite the fact that she hardly needed to be fed anything more than hay. With a huff, and an interested sniff at her ankles from Horatio (Rose’s other Icelandic Sheepdog, a gorgeous white with snatches of blue merle on his coat), Rose hefted the five buckets into a wheelbarrow, followed by several biscuits of hay that would serve to feed the tolters paddocked closer to the house. As the paddocks got further away from the stable complex and farmhouse, they increased in size, with the tolters currently being ridden or worked with spelled closer to the stables and the others spelling quietly on their own. The rest of the tolters were in the two larger paddocks down the other end of the property - Sterling, Vidri, Oskar, and other stallions occupied one, and Elspeth, Titania, Thebe, and Sörli in the other with the rest of the mares - had a large roll of hay in various stages of destruction, and tended to hold their condition well enough with just pasture and hay, especially with summer only just gone.
‘Good morning, sweetheart,’ said Rose as she approached Pria’s paddock and the blue roan mare whinnied, her ears pricking forwards. One of the only foals of her prize stallion Riverdance she had kept for herself, Pria had inherited her father’s calm temperament and coat colour, and despite her congenital hearing loss she had also inherited her father’s movement and was to be talented dressage prospect. The mare had recently turned three and so had moved up to the house to start being backed and get a little more condition on her before she started being ridden regularly.
Quickly making the rounds, Rose abandoned her wheelbarrow near the stables and dashed back to the house, Horatio and Jánna gambolling at her heels, and she took a glance back at the paddocks full of happily munching horses as she yanked off her boots at the door. The dogs were fed and chained up, and Rose swung into the front seat of her faithful (if long-suffering) Toyota, the float already hooked up and and an old halter stashed in the backseat.
Just in case.

The sun had already made some progress into the sky as Rose’s 4WD rolled into the saleyards at a quarter to nine. The auction itself wouldn’t begin until ten, but entry into the yards was already open, and crowds were milling around the pens, examining
(some taking notes) before the upcoming auction. Rose loved doing the rounds of the outdoor pens and visiting all the horses up for sale before the auction began - although some were underweight and obviously not well cared for, others were sleek and well-fed, clearly having been washed and brushed carefully to look good for the sale. Petting the nose of a (frankly adorable) palomino Welsh cross, Rose rested an arm on the pine railing and surveyed the pens, grinning at the overbearing noise of the saleyards and looking out for the telltale barrel and kind eye of an Icelandic. There were supposed to be two at the sale today, and, spotting a likely candidate on the fringes of the saleyards, Rose picked her way over to the stall. The stallion raised his head as Rose approached, pacing the confines of his stall with hooves that looked cracked and worn. He was black with a dusting of rabicano markings that curved up over his hipbones and into the whorls of his fur, and seemed friendly enough for a wild-caught, but Rose watched him flatten his ears at a Shetland pony who came too close to the fence next to him and immediately knew he wasn’t for her. He would go to a good enough home, but it wasn’t Sunset Lodge.
Casting an eye over the rest of the pens, Rose stifled a sigh, until, craning her neck, she spotted a splash of colour right near the other edge of the yards. The loud white spots on a luscious, bright dun coat seemed to belong to the curvy body that was a Tolter hallmark, and Rose’s heart made a leap into her throat.
Oh. Wow.
This mare just had to be the second of the imported tolters - you didn’t get patterns like that on just any bred horse (as a pinto breeder, Rose ought to know), and she’d know that type of thickset conformation anywhere. From here, the mare looked a little uneasy, and perhaps skinny - but that was to be expected with all the commotion, and possible rough handling on the plane. With a sinking feeling, Rose glanced down at her phone - there were only ten minutes to go until the auction began and the pens would be closed to possible buyers. The mare was penned right on the other side of the yards, close to the entrance to the auction barn, and had a rapidly thickening group of people milling around her waiting to get in. With such a crowd, Rose would never reach the pen in time to get a look at the tolter up close before the auction began. It grated on her not to have a chance to examine the mare’s condition or any behavioural issues beforehand (not to mention a look at her information card for any medical problems), and she wavered, looking back towards the rabicano stallion as if he could offer her advice. The stallion was now sulking in a corner with his ears pinned back, and looked close to cribbing at the fence posts.
Well, that answers that one.
Should she take a leap of faith?
‘We’ll find out, won’t we mister?’ said Rose softly to the rabicano, and he jerked his head away at her voice, snorting as though he was offended.

The inside of the barn was positively cosy with the sun brightening outside, and Rose settled on a bench close to the action, resting a notebook with her bidder number scrawled on it on the bench beside her. The barn, rough-timbered roof hanging high above the proceedings, was more like an amphitheatre - a cluster of benches for the bidders to sit on faced an oval of dirt that handlers would lead the horses around. Sometimes the horses were ridden, if they were broken, but more often than not they were shown by hand in laps around the ring as the auctioneer decided their futures for them.
Horses came and went - a vertiable rainbow of browns, yellows, and reds as off-the-track racehorses, ponies, and the occasional part-bred draught paraded past. The rabicano stallion was brought into the ring not long after the beginning of the auction, and Rose thought half-heartedly about bidding, but passed him by. He went to a young family of three - she knew them from a breeding deal a few seasons ago, when she’d bred a nice chestnut tobiano filly for the mother and her two young children. The family was nice enough, and it mollified Rose somewhat to know that the rabicano stallion was in good hands.
And now for the moment of truth, she thought to herself, her gut clenching with anticipation as she watched for the mare - no, not her mare, she couldn’t think of it that way yet - to be brought into the ring. But the mare didn’t arrive - the slot after the rabicano was taken by a gangly-looking yearling, and so was the next. Where was she? She couldn’t have been withdrawn from sale… could she?
Finally, as the auction began to draw to a close and the warmth of the daytime petered out, Rose’s head snapped up from scrutinising her booklet as she heard;
‘And, after some technical difficulties, we have entry #2858, a green Icelandic mare.’
Whispers rippled through the crowd, and Rose realised that her entry had been delayed. They must have had some trouble getting her out of the stall, she thought to herself, watching the near-palpable tension and anxiety in the mare’s every muscle as she stepped knock-kneed into the ring. Probably scared of the halter halter. Poor girl, that hardly helps anything.
Shellshocked was one of the only words Rose could find to describe her - seeming to want to react at the same time to both the human at her side and the pressure from her poll from the halter, as well as the rustling and murmurs of the crowd. She seemed completely overwhelmed by the information all of her senses were giving her, and walked jerkily around the ring, trying to get her head as far away from her handler as she could with the short leadrope she was given. But the mare was in decent (if scruffy and a little malnourished) condition - the wild-caught tolters were hardy things - and there was something about her that made her stand out beyond her flashy coat. The mare refused to give in - both to her own fear, even though she jerked at every tug on her halter and any movement of her handler, and to the commands of the human beside her. She didn’t spook or shy, but watched everything warily and with obvious intelligence.
Spirit, said Rose to herself. She’s got spirit.
‘Opening bids?’ called the auctioneer from their podium, although his expression looked dubious. ‘Opening bids at $200.’
The crowd, initially drawn in by the mare’s colour and breeding since Icelandics were still a relatively rare sight, were clearly none too impressed with the mare’s behaviour (although it was blindingly obvious that she was straight from the wild and not entirely been halter broken properly), and there was an overbearing silence around the ring.
Rose grinned to herself, shrugging as those close to her turned a speculating gaze in her direction, and raised her bidder’s card with an amused finality.

The colours of the sky had started to soften around the edges, piercing wintry blue turning to a pooling gold at one end and streaky indigo at the other, by the time Rose left the bidding hall. The actual auction had taken far longer than usual, and Rose had been inside for even longer, signing all the requisite paperwork (and digging her already-complaining bank card out of her wallet). She stretched, yawning, as the barn door closed behind her, and jogged towards the pens. Not many of the horses were left - most had been taken to their new homes (or back to their old ones) before the auction even ended - and besides, the mare’s coat was hard to mistake.
Even under the dusky light that was fast disappearing, the mare glowed with promise. She looked almost out of place all cooped up in a pen, and Rose’s expression softened in sympathy for her. The mare blinked at the world around her as though she was still making sense of it all, and shifted uneasily in her pen, anxiety plain in her tense muscles and ears that flicked backwards and forwards at any sound. Behind her, in the scrubland that surrounded the auction house, fireflies danced around the creek in an amber echo of the spots on the mare’s coat, and something settled into place in Rose’s chest. She let loose a contented sigh, and the mare turned towards her as she clucked under her breath, the mare’s ears tilting backwards with uncertainty.
‘Come on, Firefly,’ said Rose quietly, her voice approaching a whisper. The mare started backwards, teetering on three legs with a forehoof raised as if to run, but there was a spark of interest in her bright amber eyes, and Rose smirked.
You’re going to be fun, she thought. Now let’s get you home.

★ word count: 2,693 ★
SunsetPatches

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

★ taming a firefly ★ entry two ★ first light

Postby SunsetPatches » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:56 am

★ chapter two - first light ★

The sky had gone dark, last remaining sunlight snuffed out by the waiting hills on the horizon, and Firefly shifted, unease and confusion whirling within her in a constant storm. Her belly was full, and so was her mind with new smells and sounds and questions, but Firefly couldn’t settle, watching the sky with wary eyes.
When she was first released from the trailer, Firefly had paced around every inch of her new space with slow but deliberate regularity, inspecting everything with wide, questioning eyes - this queer wood-and-steel thing they called fencing, the strange new grasses to feed on here, and the way that the queer white specks in the sky (her dam had called them stars) had seemed to move while she was in the plane.
Everything was different. There was no herd around her, bickering for grazing rights or fleeing with desperate hooves from wolves or humans, and certainly no snow. Even the air felt different here - cold and clear.
This place felt safe, at least for now. None of her senses seemed to be working right, or at least, they couldn’t seem to understand the language of this new land, but there was no scent of predator on the wind and Firefly relaxed a little, lowering her head but keeping a watchful eye on her surroundings. There was food, in the form of old dried stalks from last year all gathered into a bale, and water too, in a strange coloured box that smelled of humans.
There were other horses here too, the same breed as her old herd (if a little cleaner), and some had answered her call when she greeted them. But it was still a lonely place to Firefly. The air was cold around her, and the boxed-in patches of grass next to her (apparently called paddocks?) were empty. No murmuring herd of family and friends were there around her that night, and Firefly whickered to herself, some of her anxious tension deflating into a lamely confused melancholy.
Although the paddock was far better than the box she had been penned in amid the chaos of the auction - Firefly snorted at the memory of the planks of wood surrounding her and holding her in, her muscles freezing into place with the remembered adrenaline - it was still strange to be trapped in one place, even after the few weeks now she had been away from the wild.
As hard as she tried, Firefly couldn’t even begin to understand what was happening - the coarse graze of the halter’s straps against her poll as the fabric constricted and penned her in, metallic whirring all around her in her metal box as the plane crossed the sea, the gaze of the dark-haired human as she raised her hand at the auction. Why was this all happening? Frustration mixed and meddled with her confusion and she snorted, whipping her tail. However vexing and worrying everything was, it annoyed Firefly far more that she couldn’t figure out why it was happening, and what it was all leading to.
With a huff, Firefly smoothly swished into a trotting survey of her paddock’s borders. Moving sometimes helped her think, and although it was already beginning with a brightening in the east, what tomorrow would hold for the wild mare was… a mystery.

Rose was a bundle of excitement and nerves as the sun began to rise and she shoved on a jumper, too jittery to stay put. Janna and Horatio blinked in confusion as she went past from where they lay intertwined on the front stoop - they knew their master’s habits as well as she did, and exactly how often she rose this early could be counted on one paw - but, for once, she couldn’t bear to stay inside and wait for the sunlight to streak across the sky and onto her window. The warmth of her covers was suddenly much less alluring than it used to be.
The thrill of getting a new tolter was nothing new, of course, but this was different. A mare who was completely untouched (and was very likely that her only encounters with people had been negative)? Firefly’s intelligence and personality had already begun to fascinate Rose and, although she knew she had to let the mare settle and give the wildling space, she couldn’t wait to get started and watch Firefly’s potential grow.
Most of the sky was still dark by the time Rose made it outside, but light had begun to streak over the horizon, and Firefly was standing calmly in her field, seeming to gaze into the sunrise with the light breeze tugging at her mane. The newborn sunlight dappled her already spotty coat and seemed to bathe her in a golden aura as the sun rose. There were hoofprints in arcs and loops in the dirt and sand of Firefly’s paddock - she obviously hadn’t had the most restful night - but the water level in her bucket was lower and some hay had been eaten from her pile.
Rose smiled. Clever girl.

★ word count: 850 ★
SunsetPatches

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

★ taming a firefly ★ entry three ★ too many voices

Postby SunsetPatches » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:54 pm

★ chapter three - too many voices (aka: meet the fockers) ★

After a week at SL, Firefly had seemed to grow more used to having finite space to roam in, although sometimes she looked up at the sky, every muscle and expression so plaintive and painfully confused that Rose’s heart went out to her as much as she wanted to laugh. The mare just could not handle not knowing something, and Rose loved the obvious intelligence that ticked away underneath every move she made. She could guess at a lot of the mare’s traits and behaviour just from watching, and listening. Easily overloaded, for one - her stressed behaviour in the auction house was a prime example of that - and very intelligent, but stubborn and easily frustrated when something seemed out of her grasp. Slow to trust, but then, that was understandeable.
The mare still skittered away whenever Rose approached the fenceline to check her water and add to the hay pile (Rose had begun to introduce hard feed to up the mare’s condition, and discovered Firefly’s apparent taste for molasses), but she knew that the mare still needed more time to settle. Although the paddock was small and sometimes she seemed almost bored, Firefly’s brain was still too overloaded with new things, and she needed to be left to deflate for just a little longer before Rose started working with her properly. Still, she left an old halter and a jolly ball in a faded blue plaid next to the mare’s feed bin, already counting on the mare’s natural curiosity to work in her favour. Using an old halter rather than a new one would help the mare get used to it quicker, since it smelled like other horses and not all weird and plastic-y, and to Rose’s amusement and delight, a few days later Firefly had taken to nibbling at the halter, and occasionally loping around the paddock with it dangling from her mouth.
That’ll help her halter phobia, at least, smiled Rose.
An old friend of hers had suggested getting the mare in a race to halter and gentle her - get it over with, in a sense - but, knowing that wild horses were most likely captured, haltered, and branded in a race to start with, and already getting hints of possible claustrophobia from the mare, Rose had declined. That didn’t seem like such a great idea, and she wanted to go as slowly with Firefly as it took for the mare to trust her, even though every muscle itched to get her under saddle as quickly as possible.
Although the mare wouldn’t be worked with by humans for another little while… Today was the day Firefly meet the rest of the Sunset Lodge family. Good lord help the poor thing.
Hopefully nothing too drastic happened, but you could never really tell with this lot. Well, a carefully selected group of the family was more to the point of it, but it was still a lot of tolters to meet. There was Koda - the mare would never forgive her if the others were allowed to meet the new tolter without her (and Rose could never take the title of ‘herd busybody and overall friend-maker’ from her) - and also Duke, since he had been recently gelded and was an outgoing sort. Pria and Penny would be there as well, for a more gentle outlook on things, and Rose would turn most of the rest of the herd (a daunting twenty-some tolters) into the longer pasture that ran next to Firefly’s if the little meet-and-greet went well.
Tension gnawed at Rose’s stomach as she haltered Koda (who nickered and immediately started gnawing at Rose’s jumper, spearing love-goobers all over her) and went to fetch the others. Was this the right thing to do so soon after? But Firefly had grown up in a herd. Maybe having a lot of tolters around her would be just what she needed to settle in better. And besides, the tolters she’d chosen were all sweethearts, they’d never cause any fuss.
Once she’d retrieved her little band (and smiled at the varigaeted kaliedescope of their coats all together under the shadow of the gum tree that hung over the hitching post), she led them towards Firefly’s turnout, restraining the worried hitch in her gut.
Firefly whinnied shrilly and spun away on her hind legs as Rose approached the gate (although the movement was only really half-hearted), trotting towards the bottom half of her enclosure with an airy gait. Smiling and shaking her head, Rose released her four tolters into the paddock (prying Koda reluctantly away from nibbling at her shoulder, and licking Pria’s mane absently).
She hoped they’d all be safe, Firefly in particular, but Rose would stay on this side of the fence, just in case.
Koda being Koda, the black pinto mare made a beeline for the new tolter, nickering a hello. The wildling’s head shot up, her ears shooting backwards, and Firefly took a few skittering steps backward, uttering a low neigh. Duke approached at a slower pace with the other two mares in tow, and called to her.
Even from the gate, Rose could see Firefly’s gaze flicking between them all, but too quickly for it to be comfortable. The mare’s tail lashed and she jerked back from Koda’s outstretched muzzle, uttering a snort. Duke whickered from her near side, as did Pria in a quiet murmur, and the mare shied back from that too, backing herself against the fence and working herself into a panic once she realised she was cornered.
Rose bit down on her lip, hard. If she was pushed any further, Firefly might snap, and even though she was still skinny and scruffy from the wild, the mare had the hard hooves and determination of a survivor. With a heavy sign, Rose made her decision; she had to get her tolters out of there before any of them got hurt, and before Firefly got even more stressed than she had to be.
Bringing her fingers to her lips, Rose let loose a shrill whistle, and her four tolters’ heads shot up as they made their way back up to the fence (but not without a longing glance or two from Koda, and curious ones from Pria). She’d let the mare mellow for a few more days, and then paddock Pria alongside her, and see if that was more what the mare could handle.
Rose smiled ruefully, giving Koda a kiss on the cheek. ‘You silly creatures,’ she murmured, scratching the mare’s throatlatch, and Koda whinnied in apparent, disgruntled agreement.

★ word count: 1,098 ★
SunsetPatches

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

★ taming a firefly ★ entry four ★ making friends

Postby SunsetPatches » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:03 am

★ chapter four - making friends ★

Only a day or so later, the mare had calmed down somewhat from the seemingly horrifying experience of meeting her own kind, and Rose decided to bite the bullet and move the mare into the round yard, ready to start her gentling proper.
But first, the mare needed a friend, and Rose knew just the trick.
Rose bustled around the roundyard with arms full of buckets and hay and yard panels, setting up a chute from the gate and two sets of feed bins - one inside the round yard, and one outside. It was painstaking work, Rose wiping away sweat despite the chilly day as she pulled the yard panels together and yanked zip ties closed to hold them there, but the mare was smart enough to only trust this once, and if it went wrong it would be a hell of a time trying to get a second shot.
As the sun crept on towards midday, Rose stood munching an apple, admiring her handiwork and catching a breather before the moment of truth. The round yard stood towards the top of a small-sized paddock next to Firefly’s, near the gate, and Rose had built a makeshift chute that led from the round yard’s gate to the gate between this paddock and Firefly’s. So - in theory - all she had to do was push the mare out of her paddock, through the gate and the chute, and into the round yard, pushing the gate closed behind her before the mare had time to test the strength of her yard panels.
In theory.
Cracking her knuckles, Rose fed a very appreciative Koda her apple core before she checked if there was enough hay in the feeder (there was), and whether the hose would reach from the house to the temporary water trough in the yard (of course it would), and stood for a moment, watching Firefly grazing in the next paddock and trying to think of every possible way this could go wrong. She hated to have to put the mare through any more stress, especially since yesterday’s debacle, but the paddock she was in now just wasn’t small enough for the human and the mare to have any proper contact. If she wanted to move forward, Rose had to make her do this, as much as she wanted to leave her be.
Great. Here goes.
With a metallic clink as the bolt fell against the gate, Rose swung the gate open and secured it to one side of the makeshift chute, leaving the opening clear of any obstacles. Firefly, ever watchful, had lifted her head at the noise and was watching Rose warily, flicking her tail. Moving slowly, Rose followed the fenceline at the top of the paddock, reaching the corner and then following the fence down towards her, trying to get around the mare and at the right angle to the gate before she reacted. Firefly was still, tracking the human’s every move, and only reacted when the human got behind her. The mare flinched into action, trotting steadily and warily towards the gate at the top of the pasture, and Rose followed behind her at a distance, keeping the mare moving. At the open gate, Firefly stopped to investigate the new smells - the paddock’s gate had never been open before, and the area smelled of metal and human and strangeness.
Rose smiled.
‘Go on, girl,’ she said, clucking under her breath. The mare sucked in a surprised gasp, and, with a snort and a pitching buck that seemed more for show than with meaning, but that clipped one edge of the round yard and made the metal toll like a bell, Firefly galloped through the chute and into the yard, and Rose slid the gate home, drenched in relief.
Sides heaving, Firefly toured the small space, her ears flicking and her carriage jerky, and investigated her new surroundings with her usual intense concentration. The mare would likely be too keyed up to eat anything for another half-hour or so, but Rose lingered, watching the mare with a smile.
The next days would blur into a seamless routine - every day, now, after she fed the horses, Rose parked herself in the round yard with a bucket, the halter, and a book. The halter was a familiar thing to Firefly now, almost a toy, and the other treats hidden in the bucket in front of her would hopefully be enticing enough for the mare to dare come closer, or at least to heighten her curiosity. For shorter spans of time, but gradually approaching an hour or more, Rose would simply sit and read, spending time with the mare to allow her to come to terms with exactly how non-threatening she was but while making sure she was as non-threatening as possible.
Initially, Firefly kept her distance, staying as far away from the human as she could, but Rose was persistent, knowing that these things took time and that the mare’s curiosity would slowly eat away at her other, baser instincts, however long it took.
The day after, when Rose left the round yard for the second time, she turned Pria loose in the paddock outside the round yard. As much as more than one tolter at a time had been too overwhelming for Firefly, she needed companionship one way or another (and Rose wouldn’t be able to be that for her for quite some time yet). She hoped that Pria’s gentle, calm nature, as well as having a fence between them, would help Firefly settle faster.
And, it did.
Dusk had fallen on Sunset Lodge, inky twilight settling between the eucalypts as the dogs snoozed on the verandah, and Rose stood and watched from the fenceline as Pria whickered to Firefly, and the wild mare’s ears pricked. Rose had placed Pria’s feed bin and water trough next to Firefly’s on the other side of the fence, and it had paid off. It had taken a few days, but when she watched Firefly brush noses with the roan mare, Rose knew she’d made the right decision.
See, girls? Was it really so hard?

★ word count: 1,007 ★
SunsetPatches

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

★ taming a firefly ★ entry five ★ slow-twitch

Postby SunsetPatches » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:54 am

★ chapter five - slow-twitch ★

For once, Rose wasn’t woken by her alarm, but by the stirring of a red-and-white shape next to her, and a white one down by her feet. She’d slept with the dogs last night, inviting them in from the cold to serve as her personal space-heaters (there was no more effective heater than a dog, as she well knew) as she ‘researched’ tack online. Despite the loud complaints of her wallet, Rose had been unable to help herself, ordering a white halter with a gorgeous variegated trim that shifted from orange to yellow, and had matching buckles in burnished gold. She hadn’t exactly needed a new halter - with so many tolters, she had more than a few spare - but the halter had been made for Firefly, in colours that matched her topaz eyes perfectly, and Rose just couldn’t say no.
She hauled herself out of bed, turning off her alarm before it could activate and wake her up any further, the dogs watching her bright eyed and bushy-tailed. Janna licked her on the arm, tail wagging, and blinked up at her innocently.
Even my dogs are morning people.
They aren’t even people.

Yanking on her boots, Rose settled with a grumble into her usual routine, the smells of the feed shed warm and familiar as she doled out the usual feeds, leaving two buckets aside for Pria and Firefly’s proper feeds at dusk as she measured out some plain chaff for them in the meantime. Both tolters seemed to hold weight quite well, Firefly especially - it was apparent that her wild heritage held her in good weight, and she was growing a little tubbier than she perhaps should be since she wasn’t under work yet.
Doing the rounds and greeting her usual happy faces, Rose approached the round yard last, grabbing Firefly’s bucket from the wheelbarrow as she swung over the fence and left Pria’s feed outside, by the fence. She was greeted with the usual sweetness from Pria, who seemed to have both inexhaustible patience and bottomless gentleness, and with what had become usual from Firefly - a wary eye, and flickering ears.
‘Morning, girls,’ she said as she swung open the round yard gate and Firefly skittered with flattening ears to the other end of the yard. Pria, knowing the drill by now, ambled to the other end of the paddock to graze, knowing she’d get her feed after Firefly and Rose’d had enough of their standoff.
Rose, swinging the bucket nonchalantly, settled into her usual spot up against the round yard’s edge, between Firefly’s water and feed bin with the bucket and halter at her toes. Cracking open her battered copy of Hamlet - once a nerd, always a nerd - Rose leaned back against the panel of the yard, watching the mare out of the corner of her eye as she swung her head back and forth, avoiding the human’s gaze.
Things went as usual. Firefly, alternating between pacing and motionlessly watching the human, was visibly irritated. Even when she was still, she was restless, ears flicking from flat back to listening hard for any danger from Rose’s corner of the yard, and tail flicking as if it were the height of summer and flies abounded. The unadulterated curiosity and frustration coming from the mare was nigh-on palpable - why was the human doing this?! - and Rose tried to hide her grin underneath her book, resisting the urge to snicker aloud in case it startled her.
The mare stood for a time, nostrils flaring as she tasted the air for danger and tried to work out the mystery that was in front of her, before slowly, every hoof-fall seeming to take a lifetime, approaching slightly closer. Rose didn’t dare move, her breathing purposely slow and calm, as the mare inspected the area carefully, stretching her neck as far as she could to reach the bucket without taking a step closer. But after a few mouthfuls of chaff, Firefly abandoned her meal, too wary to stay close to Rose for long.
Small wins were enough for now, Rose decided, and as the mare moved away she got her reward - Rose slipped out of the round yard between two of the
Firefly seemed puzzled, gazing after the human with ears pricked, that the human had left so soon, but Rose knew she’d figure it out sooner or later. She’d come back to feed the mare her hardfeed at nightfall, as always, but for now she emptied what was left of the chaff into Firefly’s bucket and Pria’s into hers.
Small wins, Rose reminded herself. Small wins.

Again woken by the dogs, Rose groaned and rolled over, burrowing under the covers to try and block out the painfully loud barking from outside and the resultant neighs from the horses as they got riled up. Apparently Horatio had caught a rabbit, and both dogs seemed extremely excited about it, to their own chagrin as a grumpy Rose emerged from the house more than a little displeased.
This time, before the morning feed, she left her book in the house, grabbing the old plaid halter on her way that now smelled as much like Firefly as it did of old canvas and dust. And this time, instead of plain chaff for the two mares, Rose added millmix (a byproduct of milling wheat made from the ground husks that was full of nutrients and good for putting weight on) and a dollop of molasses. Perhaps Firefly would recognise the smell that accompanied her night feed instead of just chaff, and be more willing to stay close to Rose for longer. She didn’t want to rush the mare, but it had been two weeks since she’d been placed in the round yard and visited daily, and on this particular morning, Rose’s patience was wearing thin.
Everything this morning seemed to go slower, painfully so, as if all her movements were through molasses instead of air, and Rose grumbled under her breath through the morning feeds, slamming the feed shed door and reprimanding a bitey Kiki perhaps a little too harshly. Slipping in through the gate, Rose huffed out a sigh and flumped down in her spot next to the fence, already missing her book as she plonked down the bucket and halter.
Firefly watched her, seeming worried instead of spooked by the human’s behavior.
She had to be in a good mood today, for Firefly’s sake. Horses fed off her irritation as much as they did her fear or happiness, and the mare was so perceptive, Rose had no doubt that if she didn’t slap herself awake soon, they wouldn’t get anywhere today. Worst case scenario, all they would do was go backwards.
As she sat, drawing patterns in the red dirt beneath her boots as her irritation-sped breathing began to slow, her irritation replaced by grudging calm, and just a touch of melancholy.
Firefly had already stolen part of Rose’s heart, that much was for certain. It was rare that she fell in love with a tolter quite so quickly - they were all so unique, and she cared for all her horses deeply, but some (like Koda, who was a rather special soul) immediately barged into her heart and demanded their spot, and Firefly was definitely one of them. But the mare had been sitting here, growing sleek and bored, for so long already. What if she never got through to the mare? Or worse, what if she got frustrated and resorted to using force? Forcing a halter on the mare’s head or a saddle on her back would be disastrous, but with things as they were, a pang went through Rose’s heart at the thought of Firefly being a paddock ornament for the rest of her life. Or the mare under saddle and winning ribbons, but deep unhappiness and restlessness in those intelligent topaz eyes that were so full of intelligence and spark. Something from the wild could never be used like that.
Through her reverie, Rose heard the mare’s usual pacing gait slow, and then stop.
Rose froze, keeping her head bowed, as the hoofbeats started up again, more confident and swift than yesterday as they approached. She could see the puffs of dust rising around her striped hooves as Firefly stopped, head lowering with an interested sniff into the bucket.
Once she polished off the contents of the bucket, lips rasping against the bottom, Firefly didn’t immediately step away, which was unusual. Instead, the mare stayed to investigate, and Rose uttered a quiet cheer in her mind, her muscles freezing still so as not to spook her. Rose didn’t dare look up to read the mare’s posture or watch her ears, waiting breathlessly as she felt the mare’s muzzle brush her scalp. But even then, Firefly didn’t move, breathing the human’s scent quietly but seeming to wonder still why she was even here. Every movement halting, Rose breathed out slowly, hoping the sound would help reassure the wildling that nothing was wrong, and offered the back of her hand for Firefly to sniff. While every muscle in the mare’s body was taut and almost trembling with tension, the mare seemed unable to resist, and her head lowered to meet Rose’s hand, nostrils flaring.
While the cheer squad in her head hit deafening volumes, Rose held her breath, deciding that, what the hell, today must have been a good day.
Throwing caution to the wind, Rose’s hand slowly moved further, reaching towards the mare’s neck instead of her face or her poll, where Rose had noticed she was more sensitive. The mare’s ears flicked at the contact, one held towards her and listening hard, and the other flicking backwards as if on watch for danger.
‘Good girl, Fly,’ said Rose under her breath, the soft high-pitched tones of her voice approaching a whisper. ‘Good girl.’
Both breathed out together, and the warmth of Firefly’s fur under her hand seemed to glow with promise.

★ word count: 1,670 ★
SunsetPatches

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me