The state of the economy... Overblown or a real problem?

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Re: The state of the economy... Overblown or a real problem?

Postby psychodrama » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:29 pm

It was my first December the 18th and I was so hyped! I quickly grabbed my laptop and logged on, took a deep breathe and adopted to find and 08 July Rare warrior and an 09 rare advent dog. I felt let down and nothing about the day wasy exiciting. When I found out people got COMMONs I was shocked and very grateful. Its weird all the 08 members and such made it sound so great but...
psychodrama

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:43 am

Nick wrote:The intention was for that present to be adopted 110,000 times, and that's what we based our numbers on. It turns out that it only got adopted 45,000 times in total.

The box has always had commons/uncommons in it. If it only had rare pets, the adoption limit would have to be lower, potentially lower than 1 pet per person, which would mean that we could not run the event. We can either release rare pets that few people get, or less rare pets that everybody gets. We cannot release rare pets that everybody gets.

Are you thinking about adjusting the numbers next year based on what happened (less people then expected adopted) this year?
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shian » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:09 am

Nick wrote:The intention was for that present to be adopted 110,000 times, and that's what we based our numbers on. It turns out that it only got adopted 45,000 times in total.

The box has always had commons/uncommons in it. If it only had rare pets, the adoption limit would have to be lower, potentially lower than 1 pet per person, which would mean that we could not run the event. We can either release rare pets that few people get, or less rare pets that everybody gets. We cannot release rare pets that everybody gets.

The worst I got in 2010 was Mid 2009 uncommons:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=908635&p=23461082&hilit=uncommon#p23461082
Those pets are also in demand litters so even the uncommon sortic feels like a rare because everyone wants one.
Everything else from last year turned rare within the year. I just don't see the 2nd gens as ever being something that would turn into a high demand pet.

At least I'm not crazy and the numbers are off by quite a bit- way more than half (40% that is?). What happens now though?
Throughout the year new players come and older players stop playing. Without the re-release to circulate in new rares lost by this effect, rares are going to turn ridiculously rare by mid year. Rich get richer and poor get poorer.
New players aren't going to have anything that the older players want and older players aren't going to be able to find anyone with the currency to pay for their rare pets effectively making 'join date' a static number of how rich one is.
Luck at the pound seems to be the only option at this point.
ImageImage
Come buy old rare pets in bulk for gems!
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:44 am

C$ has helped me some but not everyone has this option. And really if it comes to you have to have either been here since 08 or dump tons of money I think a lot of people would quit. I think a lot of new players where hope for a chance to add to their collection by getting something they wanted but couldn't afford or using what they got to trade for it. That isn't going to happen. No newbie can afford what the Dec 18 pets are going for so in that sense the Rich will get richer.

I mean uncommon 2010s? You can still get those in Adoption Centers. Even if it was just 09 pets and older would be an improvement. It kinda felt like the pound only there is no second chances, better luck next year I guess.

I can also see what happened driving down the rarity of some like the 2nd gens. It would be nice if because people can't afford things it drives the price down though there may be enough hoarders (no offense, I have nothing against you, I'm one myself) that have enough trade stock to clear the market so to speak. And if that's the case the price won't come down and we're in the exact same position Firestar mentioned.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nick » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:24 am

Imzadi83 wrote:Are you thinking about adjusting the numbers next year based on what happened (less people then expected adopted) this year?

Yup, of course, we can have the rarest pets be more common next time.
Nick
Admin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nick » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:27 am

-Firestar- wrote:Luck at the pound seems to be the only option at this point.

Two pets per person was never going to change anybody's lives.
Nick
Admin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shian » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:49 am

Nick wrote:
-Firestar- wrote:Luck at the pound seems to be the only option at this point.

Two pets per person was never going to change anybody's lives.

90,000 fresh potentially valuable pets in circulation makes a difference in everyone's lives because the economy , trade value and the state of the auction/trade boards affects everyone.

The Dec 18th release spurs the economy and gets people trading again because by now, most pets have found 'forever homes'. Putting new ones in stirs the water and gets pets moving. Trading makes people happy just like finding a sale in RL makes you happy. (Hooray for serotonin!)

There are people that joined just last month. You can't tell me that getting a very rare pet won't change their lives in any way. (Some were even depending on getting a nice older pet) but got a 2nd gen or a rat instead.
You probably can't see the emotional turmoil this error has caused because it's in many threads throughout CS. I've never seen anything like this here. I can only imagine how bad it's going to be if this continues through to net year. I feel very sorry for those joining in 2012 and getting to experience this virtual depression. Not unheard of in any virtual economy, it's just sad that such a thing happened here.

Is there really no way to release another 'big box' on the 26th or something that's adjusted for the 18th pets adopted this year and corrected projected numbers? It really isn't too late to fix it, but waiting a full year to fix it really will screw up trade values of everything on the board... for a year. By then, I'm not even sure the re release would 'fix' the economy back to pre-yesterday.

Right now it seems everyone's feeling it:
I feel like there just isn't enough stuff in circulation D:
I've seen hardly anything, and what I have seen has been snapped up by people like you (congrats, by the way :D).
I've been lucky to get two bunnies. :|
ImageImage
Come buy old rare pets in bulk for gems!
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lil rascal » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:14 am

So since less than half the expected amount were adopted thereby messing up the CS economy, wouldn't the easiest fix for the CS economy & morale this year be to open the box for another day? Sorry if I'm over simplifying it.

Looking for WL trades!

LOLO lights off now until next year, hope you enjoyed your visit :)
lil rascal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sherlock » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:23 pm

-Firestar- wrote:Is there really no way to release another 'big box' on the 26th or something that's adjusted for the 18th pets adopted this year and corrected projected numbers? It really isn't too late to fix it, but waiting a full year to fix it really will screw up trade values of everything on the board... for a year. By then, I'm not even sure the re release would 'fix' the economy back to pre-yesterday.

If only half of the predicted number were adopted, this does seem like an easy and logical solution. It would allow the numbers to get up to about what they would supposed to be.

It just feel bad for everyone who will be unable to complete their collection or has a complete collection at the moment but will lose it, simply because there aren't enough of the new URs to go around.

The pet collecting is the thing on CS that most people care about, and to have the numbers so out of whack for a whole year just seems like it may mess things up quite a bit.

Mostly I am upset by how disappointed many people are- around Christmas time. Last year everything was so happy and everyone was getting their dream pets, this year it's just so different :c

Just my opinion, it is of course up to the admins in the end :) We really do appreciate how much time and effort you put into the site and trying to keep your members happy ^^

Sherlock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Stephajo » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:24 pm

Rabid Unicorns wrote:
-Firestar- wrote:Is there really no way to release another 'big box' on the 26th or something that's adjusted for the 18th pets adopted this year and corrected projected numbers? It really isn't too late to fix it, but waiting a full year to fix it really will screw up trade values of everything on the board... for a year. By then, I'm not even sure the re release would 'fix' the economy back to pre-yesterday.

If only half of the predicted number were adopted, this does seem like an easy and logical solution. It would allow the numbers to get up to about what they would supposed to be.

It just feel bad for everyone who will be unable to complete their collection or has a complete collection at the moment but will lose it, simply because there aren't enough of the new URs to go around.

The pet collecting is the thing on CS that most people care about, and to have the numbers so out of whack for a whole year just seems like it may mess things up quite a bit.

Mostly I am upset by how disappointed many people are- around Christmas time. Last year everything was so happy and everyone was getting their dream pets, this year it's just so different :c

Just my opinion, it is of course up to the admins in the end :)

I suppose it would be nice to have another box released this year...but it seems like something they won't do...but maybe they will adjust things next year so that the same thing doesn't happen again.
Stephajo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me