23rd Lab Mynediad [[Owned by HandofSorrow31]] by Syla Delaney

Artist Syla Delaney [gallery]
Time spent 37 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
21 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

23rd Lab Mynediad [[Owned by HandofSorrow31]]

Postby Syla Delaney » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:56 pm

This strange pair, or maybe one, is probably one of the strangest of creatures I have met thus far. It seems to be made of no substance other than the absence of light. Not mist, or smoke, or shadowy LOOKING, it actually is made of... shadows. Or maybe nothingness itself.
It is most definitely sentient, and is capable of shifting its forms, maybe depicting mood? Maybe depicting things it wants, or is thinking about? But the most common forms it takes is that of a ghostly humanoid shape, and that of some other creature. I'm not sure if its a cat, or something else. But I like to call it a 'cat'.
It generally walks on the walls, as if following along next to me, or sometimes on the floor. No matter what surface it is on, it is always flat, and generally appears to be on its side. Sometimes the front. It is always the same size as well.
I am not sure how it was created, or why, or what from. Maybe I do not want to know.
But its powers seem to involve being able to manipulate light, to create areas completely devoid of it.
In general, it does not effect solid objects. Though, on rare occasions, it can completely 'swallow' whole areas of space.
This tends to happen when threatened in some way or form. It's entire form completely opens up, creating some form of a rift, and then whatever is in it, just goes away.
Though, I have noticed it taking forms similar to the objects that were swallowed. I found it as a lamp one time, the same shape and size that it had 'swallowed'. It was trailing along behind me in the shape of the lamp I had dropped on it.
It was unsettling.
Be extremely cautious if interested in taking it in. It seems to be friendly enough for the most part. Communicating can be difficult, but it has shown me things, through manipulating light.
Like feingning the human opening a door, or a window that it wanted to go through.
It enjoys shadow puppet shows. I put one on for it once, and the 'cat' form pounced around on top of all the little shapes of people.
It likes to follow me out in public, and 'play' on top of things. Keep a close eye on it, to make sure it doesn't get lost. If you shout its name, it will come back.

Be careful, I almost didn't let this one get adopted, but I think it's for the best.
Needs a patient, loving, and playful friend.

HandofSorrow31 wrote:Username:
HandofSorrow31

Adoptable's name:
Mynediad (min-ey-dee-odd)

Why you want this adoptable:
I have not adopted anyone or anything from the 23rd lab yet, and I really like this creature.

A story about something you and this adoptable did together:
I didn’t know if I wanted to scream, cry, or both. There Mynediad was against the wall, its shape exactly like the frame that had formerly hung there, though now it was gone along with its contents. Knowing Mynediad’s nature, it didn’t take a genius to figure out where the frame and its autographed poster had gone. But the exact reason why it was gone I didn’t know yet, and Mynediad wasn’t capable of telling me this so soon. So instead I handed myself over to the plethora of rage boiling within me and screamed at the confounded shadow.
“I can’t believe you’d do this to me!” I shouted at my dark friend. “You know how much that poster meant to me! It’s irreplaceable! I hate you!” Later I could hardly believe I was saying such foul things to Mynediad when I had no place to judge it, but at the time it felt right to scream and blame it. You see, the autographed poster I formerly had was one I didn’t even purchase. I was sick as a dog the night that particular poster was for sale, and I didn’t even have tickets to the show it was offered at. A close friend was there that night, however, and got it for me, but not only that had it autographed by the band it pictured. I was expecting nothing but a camera full of pictures from that concert, so can you imagine my appreciation and love for the poster? Perhaps my reaction to Mynediad’s revelation could be justified in a way, but it was still cruel of me to hate it as much as I did.
After my initial outburst I kept screaming for a while, but I don’t have the heart to retell all the things I said. They were dreadful and at times obscene, and looking back now I can see how much remorse Mynediad had begun to feel. It was slowly sinking to the floor in apology, but I didn’t actually notice until it was shifting past me, still in the shape of the horizontal frame. Mynediad disappeared under my closet door and I yelled at it to stay there until it died or disintegrated or whatever it was destined to do. I then rushed out of the room to cool off, and I didn’t return for another two hours.
When I did return, however, Mynediad was still in my closet, or so I thought. Where else would it go, really? Up until then I thought I had offered it a pleasant life. Cautiously I opened my closet and used my phone as a light to find Mynediad within the darkness. It didn’t take very long, and I soon found my dark friend against the wall, its form now that of its preferred cat, though its ears were down and it was evidently sulking. “Mynediad,” I said softly, “come out, please. I want to talk.” I wasn’t very surprised when it didn’t move or acknowledge me, and I sighed a little. “I won’t yell again. I’m actually going to apologize.” This didn’t do much, and I thought hard on how to get Mynediad out of my closest when it obviously didn’t want to move. That’s when it struck me to put on a shadow puppet show.
I moved a few things out of my closet and picked up the bright book light I used for nighttime reading, as well as an index card I hoped Mynediad would recognize as a representation for the poster. Once I had things arranged as I wanted them I moved into the closet and shut the door behind me. Turning on the intense book light, I sat on the floor and shined the light on Mynediad. “Please tell me what really happened,” I asked it. “I promise I won’t get mad.” I shifted the light so it was held between my knee and the arm that held the card, allowing me to hold the card in place. With my free hand I motioned Mynediad jumping up to swallow the poster, which produced no reaction from it...at least not immediately.
With a little creativity and the help of my friend, somehow the story was relayed. Mynediad had been minding its own business beneath my poster, which I suppose must have not been secured very well to the wall. My brother in the room next door threw an object, probably a ball, against the wall, knocking the poster free and directly onto Mynediad. In an act of self-defense it swallowed the poster whole before it could distinguish exactly what was falling on it. My reaction to the truth was much more forlorn, and Mynediad transformed into the cat again and rested beside me in guilt. It waited against me until I motioned for my shadow to pet its head, and in turn Mynediad pushed itself against my palm like a real cat would.
And so, we celebrated our repaired friendship with a shadow puppet show that lasted quite a while, but I was a little surprised to find myself still in my closet the next morning when I woke up.

The backstory of this adoptable: [[Why it is what it is, how it became that way, what it is before etc. etc.]]
Several of the experiments conducted in the 23rd lab dabbled in the affairs of physical, everyday matter, but a select few dared to base themselves around the very opposite of such things: that’s right, antimatter. It was commonly said the average physicists that interested themselves in the study were all fools, and that antimatter was something those working for the 23rd lab could easily manage. After all, everyday miracles occurred within its walls, well, every day.
But this was not the case the first seven months of experimentation. The antimatter developed by the scientists assigned to these tests reacted horribly with the matter it was surrounded by, resulting in near catastrophic explosions and jarring death rates. The arrogance with which these scientists entered their experiments was immediately destroyed, and tempers often flared up at the idiocy of each other. That is, until the precise problem with antimatter was met.
In order for antimatter to sustain itself, it cannot touch anything that is considered matter, including the air we all breathe; the opposite principle applies to matter. The issue that arises here is that everything on Earth is made up of matter- including people- so antimatter, although just a small piece of it can power all of New York City, doesn’t stand a chance. Indirectly its uses are astonishing; it’s like its mirrored image is doing all the work. But still, antimatter cannot be fully accessed unless a compromise of sorts is made between it and matter. That was when a brilliant idea struck a physicist working in an antimatter experiment. When light is casted on an object, it gives off a shadow, or an intangible absence of light that takes on the general shape of said object. Perhaps shadows were the key to handling antimatter.
And so, a new experiment was conducted upon a piece of antimatter that changed everything for the scientists performing it, even though the experiment itself lasted less than a second. Extreme particle speeds led to the creation of the antimatter, and a swift machine made of matter, of course, attempted to touch its miniscule shadow. What happened next no one foresaw. The machine was moving so quickly it accidently brushed against the antimatter at the same moment it touched the shadow, and the result was, naturally, a large explosion. But after everything had settled, the shadow still remained. It was later theorized the explosion had separated the antimatter from its shadow, and because the shadow technically didn’t touch anything but simply was, it remained even after what had originally cast it was long gone.
But that wasn’t the end of it. Because the shadow was so unstable after its initial separation, it didn’t conform to the last shape it had held; its very self allowed it to change to anything it pleased. A question soon arose after this, however. Why did the shadow appear to have a mind of its own, as it freely altered its shape whenever it pleased? It was just a shadow after all…Right? Further observations allowed scientists to realize that the amazing antimatter was certain to give off an amazing shadow, and that its abilities had only been amplified by the explosion that separated the shadow from its object. That was surely the reason why the shadow seemingly had a mind of its own. And while the scientists observed their subject, their subject took the opportunity to observe them. It was capable of understanding the ways of the creatures around it and how they thought, and after a good five years the shadow had developed itself a decent personality. It was practically a person in its own right, much to the delight of the scientists once the shadow revealed itself, though they were sure to be cautious with it after a while.
Further testing let the shadow and its keepers see the good and bad sides of it. Its abilities extended well beyond shape shifting (of which it appeared it preferred the shape of a cat-like creature, but it was frequently ordered to become a human); it could “swallow” matter and render it permanently gone, whether it be light itself or a material object. However, there was a side effect of consuming that of the third dimension: the shadow was forced to take on the shape of the object for a given amount of time against its will. Perhaps this was all a more controlled reaction between the antimatter shadow and the matter it was surrounded by, its example being the humongous explosions the antimatter and matter gave off when they met. No one could be sure about this, and after one horrific failure it was decided the subject was not to be tested any further.
Then, one day, the scientists didn’t come in. Rather, the shadow was met with release, opportunity, freedom.
Perhaps it would embrace its independence with benevolence. After all, it would only be kind to reciprocate such kindness.

Other stories/poems about the adoptable etc. [Optional]:
N/A

Artwork featuring the adoptable [Optional]:
I’d love to make some art if only my artistic abilities were real. ^^

Other information about the adoptable [Optional]:
Mynediad is the Welsh word for entrance. Determine this as you will…

Lab 23 Home Page
Last edited by Syla Delaney on Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:50 am, edited 6 times in total.
Syla Delaney

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: 23rd Lab week 3 Pet [[Available Soon]]

Postby Syla Delaney » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:05 pm

;3 Hope you like. Posting is open.
Syla Delaney

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby . : Milotic : . » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:08 pm

OwO I want it -stalks thread-

sᴄʜᴏᴏʟ ᴛᴏᴏᴋ ᴏᴠᴇʀ ᴡʜᴇɴ ᴘᴇᴏᴘʟᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅᴇᴅ ᴏɴ ᴍᴇ ᴍᴏsᴛ, ɴᴏᴡ sᴜᴍᴍᴇʀ ғʀᴇᴇs ᴍʏ ʀᴇɪɴs
ᴛᴏ ᴅᴏ ᴀs ɪ ᴘʟᴇᴀsᴇ, ᴀɴᴅ ʜᴇʟᴘ ᴡʜᴏ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ʙᴇᴇɴ ғᴏʀɢᴏᴛᴛᴇɴ ɪɴ ᴍʏ ᴏᴡɴ ᴄʟᴏᴜᴅᴇᴅ ᴘᴀᴛʜ.
. : Milotic : .

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Syla Delaney » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:18 pm

x3
I'm glad you like it!
Syla Delaney

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Syla Delaney » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:14 pm

SIX LIKES ALREADY?
Syla Delaney

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sodafarts » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:26 pm

Can't wait for this one to go up :D
hi i am soda/eli :-)

mostly inactive these days </333 but hanging around to draw occasionally

she/they idc - intp - capricorn ☼ aries ☾ libra ⇡ - adult - usa

main interests: MY CATS, dorohedoro, chainsaw man, soul eater, tbhk, adventure time, kingdom hearts, OFF, genshin impact, okami, devilman crybaby, berserk, welcome to night vale, atla, studio ghibli, vocaloid, wacky music, gross stuff, cooking, learning languages

https://kevan.org/johari?name=sodafarts <-- hi everyone how would u describe me :')
sodafarts

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Syla Delaney » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:30 pm

;3 Happy you like it!
Not quite sure when I'll put it up, but I like to release the art a little earlier to gauge popularity. Probably sometime this weekend if all goes normally.
Syla Delaney

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Fawkes-Rinzler » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:36 pm

SO SO STALKING!!!!
Fawkes-Rinzler