Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

Save The Comics! by Syla Delaney

Artist Syla Delaney [gallery]
Time spent 19 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
24 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Save The Comics!

Postby Syla Delaney » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:24 pm

I really, really love comics.
Lots of people love comics.
It's simply a wonderful art and communication form. There are so many different styles, so many different ways to convey one idea or another.
I love to see stories unfold, see the expression, see the way one person might go about conveying sadness, revealing a shocking twist!
Here on Chicken Smoothie, I go looking for comics all the time. I like to see what stories people have to tell me.
But sadly, so many of them die before they have the chance to grow, much like a caterpillar that may never have the chance to fully become what it is meant to be.
There are many reasons for this.
I can understand a person that gets busy in real life. Life is life. It gets hectic and confusing.
But it deeply saddens me when I go to see a comic that died years ago. And it has one like, and no comments.
You can almost imagine how absolutely crushing it can be, when a person puts so much of themselves into a comic, and no one even gives it a second glance.
We all know the feeling when that happens, when you create something that you're proud of and no one cares.
Even comics that seem to have poor art styles, or an overused plot can become something wonderful with a push.
I've seen plenty of ongoing comics that looked completely different early on.
Famous ones even, take a look at comics like Garfield when they first came out, and look at what it's like now.
Early Marvel and DC character designs are almost unrecognizable to their modern counterparts.
[[Need I say Homestuck?]]

What can you do to help?
It's quite simple really.
If you like a comic, take the few seconds to give it a 'Like' and a short few words of support. That can mean the world to an artist, and be the difference between another dead comic, and something beautiful.
If they want criticism, tell them what they can do to improve. Don't bash their stick figures, or coloring style. Give them tips to improve!
If you like a plot twist, or something made you laugh, SAY IT!
Long story short, communicate! Tell them what you think!

SAVE THE COMICS!

BANNER

[url=http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1434061]Image

Code: Select all
[img]http://www.chickensmoothie.com/oekaki/image/image.php?id=1202764&size=gallery&format=png&rev=1349492613[/img][/url]

Hey! Those of you looking for a good comic to read, or hoping to publicize their own comic, should pay a visit to the CS Comic Store.[[Run by Peaceful_Chaos]]

I've also started a new club called the CS Comic Club. If you are a comic creator, or a lover of CS comics in general, come check it out!
Last edited by Syla Delaney on Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:37 am, edited 7 times in total.
Syla Delaney

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Save The Comics!

Postby Neforium » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:56 pm

This makes me want to go back and restart Race Wars to see if it will come alive ;-;
Inactive Account.
Neforium

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby LOCW_Bluestarwarrior » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:02 pm

Oh yes, no one ever replies to my comic. Bl (Link in sig) But I'm continuing it, but I have artist's block. Oh joy.
------------
------------Call me Blue
------------adult // fan of a great
------------many things
------------ImageImageImage
------------
------------
------------ImageImage
------------Art credit - me
------------
LOCW_Bluestarwarrior

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Syla Delaney » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:31 am

Never give up on your comics!
If you want to continue them, and you continue to persevere, you will slowly begin to garner a following!
Let them become what you want them to become.
Syla Delaney

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby breadstick » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:57 am

I have made literally loads of comics, and I ended up cancelling most, because nobody paid attention, and nobody 'liked' it. I often comment on the comics that I see that don't have much, and that, well, that becomes the difference; I see loads of people post on it, and it becomes a 'popular comic'.

I wish I could say the same for the comics I made. I am actually thinking on re-doing one of my origional ideas, and comics, since I thought it was quite a good idea. To post a few simple words, or a word like "following!" can make the artist's confidence boost, and perhaps, they will become one of many great artists.

Now I am working on a couple of new comics, and I am gritting my teeth to concentrate and continue. My cat comic has no replies so far; my wolf one, in the signiture, I think has one comment.

Great drawing, and I love the cause. c:

Image Image
★— [ zac | he/him | adult | unfortunate capitalism participant | anime & oc enthusiast | 03/07/17 ♥ ] —★
breadstick

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Syla Delaney » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:03 am

Thanks Toothless! I'll be sure to go and check them out.
The drawing on my banner isn't the best, I could have made the lettering better even though I was sort of going for the 'comic-y effect'

And yes, the cause is something that sort of hit me after I started getting a following on my comic. I went looking for other comics to read, and I just couldn't find any besides the SUPER popular ones, that hadn't died! Or at the very least had any people following them!
Last edited by Syla Delaney on Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syla Delaney

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keero » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:20 am

I used to be fairly inactive on the oekaki boards, so earlier on I hadn't paid too much attention to comics on here. But now I'm placing myself into the artist's shoes and trying to comment on anything and everything because the artist is worth more than a few comments and likes. They deserve to know that their artwork is loved by somebody and many others who are just too shy to actually say it.
    I'm very unorganized so I hadn't made any comics but I hope to make some eventually, and when that time comes, I would like to have a following too, and the only way to do that is to support others in their work to make the community a better place. <3
    allergic to my own existence
    why am i still here?
    ┐(’~`;)┌

KEYO
    ═════
    ⬝ pre-vet neuroscience
    & exotic vet tech

Discord: keyode
Keero

My pets
My items
My wishlist