Domestic Cat Redline by Susiron

Based on Click to view
Artist Susiron [gallery]
Time spent 47 minutes
Drawing sessions 2
12 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Domestic Cat Redline

Postby Susiron » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:18 pm

Alright, I'm just assuming that this is a domestic cat so apologies if it was meant to be a serval or other type.
My domestic cats could still use work (I'm much more used to lions) so I'd recommend looking at other tutorials and things before taking anything that I have to say here completely to heart.

I think that the most important thing I could say to help you here is that, in profile, eyes shouldn't be rounded on the far side. The best thing to do is draw a sort of cone shape, with the rounded side facing towards the nose and the triangle towards the cheek. It can be a bit confusing getting the right angle going, but with a little practice that's not something that's hard to fix.

I like that you're showing where the cheek fur is (it REALLY helps to define an animal's jaw), but you placed it a tad too inward on the face. I think that a good way to tell where the jaw is is to follow the ears. Think of where the ears sit on the cat's head. Start the jaw line around where the front of the ear closest is, then draw a curved path downward.

For the ears, I'd recommend making them a bit smaller (unless you want your cat to have larger ears, or if it is a species of cat that has larger ears. Feel free to take artistic liberties with it), and to space them somewhat farther apart. Drawing the ear farthest away facing in this opposite direction should help (you either shouldn't be able to see the inside of the cat's second ear here, or only a small portion. The other edge of the ear shouldn't be visible, though. Inner ear fur tends to block it from view, if it's not turned out of view already.

You seem to have a good basic idea for the jaw/face. I'd recommend making the upper jaw somewhat larger, however, and the bottom more rounded and smaller (It's not nearly as drastic, but think of a big dog with jowls draping over its lower jaw). As for the nose, I'd say consider making the nose bridge slope less and bring the eye closer to that line.

The last thing I'd say is that you could raise the line for the neck quite a bit. You have a nice big neck for your cat, but it's located pretty low in back and makes a slope that you'd be more likely to find on a human. Since cats are quadruped animals, their spine connects at a different angle than ours does. This creates a sort of really nice line from the head that continues right back into the neck very smoothly like so:

You have some very nice bones here. I'd recommend looking up more tutorials as well, referencing from actual pictures of cats, and overall lots of practice to refine what you already have! : D
I have a lots of tutorials collected here that might help: http://aquaticferret.tumblr.com/post/41 ... masterpost
There's lots of cat tutorials under "Feline tutorials"-- both domestic and wild-- that I hope will help!
Susiron

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Domestic Cat Redline

Postby TigerLynx » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:02 am

Wow! You're a really good artist! c:

Thanks for critiquing my work! I'll really take what you say and apply to my next drawings. ^^ I'll be sure to have a look at those tutorials. c:

-Dawnfeathers
Not really active on CS anymore. Very sorry.

If you interested in finding me, I'm located on: awesomesauce.forumatic.com (username: Silver)

- silver .
[/center]
TigerLynx

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me