Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
Click here to see the full Art Rules!

~Firefly Foxels~ (CUSTOMS OPEN) by GIGABITE

Artist GIGABITE [gallery]
Time spent 2 hours, 41 minutes
Drawing sessions 6
16 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

~Firefly Foxels~ (CUSTOMS OPEN)

Postby GIGABITE » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:13 pm

What is a Firefly Foxel?
A Firefly Foxel is a special species of fox that rule the skies. Since they have an internal pouch of unknown, lighter-than-air gases in their chest, these Foxels can stay in the air for very long periods of time. They only come down to mate, lay their eggs, and once in a great while to rest. They can go for days up in the sky, resting their eyes while airborne. They stay up by "drifting"; a process in which their secondary lungs expand, and they float aimlessly like a balloon. This gives them a very puffed-up appearance when sleeping, almost looking like big furry balloons with butterfly wings.
Foxels are only about the size of beagles. Their massive tails make them appear much bigger, but their bodies are about that size.
Their paws are very small and weak, since they are almost never used to walk or even land. They use them for skydances (a colorful display performed annually using their huge, glowing tails and fluffy, colorful fur, to attract mates), and eating. They mostly eat berries and herbs, but are known to eat desserts and other tasty treats that humans leave out.
They lay eggs much like a butterfly would, and perform metamorphosis in the same way: chrysalises. Foxels do not earn their true name until they grow their wings, but they can take a nickname until then. This is a trial of strength; any failed metamorphs stay with a given name by the family, but it is not a true honor like completing metamorphosis successfully and earning a true name is.
Each Foxel is given an orb when they reach adulthood. Even Foxels that failed metamorphosis get an orb charm, but it is smaller.
When a Foxel is tamed, it acquires an orb collar to match their charm and to distinguish ownership.

Rules for Adoption
~You may own as many Foxels as you'd like, but if you apply on every one of them I'm less likely to pick you each time, until other people have had a chance at some~

~You cannot pick the gender of the Foxel unless it specifically says you can~

~You are allowed to pretty up your form, but don't make it massive with tons of pictures, or I might not read it, 'cuz I'm lazy~

~Do not steal or copy the designs intended for others~

~Follow all site rules~

~Do not rush me! If I say I'll be judging soon and don't end up doing it until the next day at like 4 PM, it's because it was probably bedtime and then obviously school. So do not get annoyed if the post is left alone for that period of time (or slightly longer)~

~Bigger offers do not necessarily earn you the Foxel! I judge based on form appearance, reason for wanting it, as well as the offering for it. So if you offer a rare, it doesn't automatically win you the Foxel, but it could increase your chances~

~There will always be more Foxels, so please don't get annoyed if you don't win a particular one~

-Custom Form-
~Username~
~Foxel Name~
~Foxel Gender~
~Ref~
~Payment~
Last edited by GIGABITE on Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:55 am, edited 9 times in total.

Bisexual - Non-Binary - Any pronouns
Characters - DeviantArt

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
GIGABITE

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Foxely Things

Postby GIGABITE » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:17 pm

How to Catch a Firefly Foxel
Now, you're probably wondering how to get one of these oddities. And I'm here to tell you how!
To capture a wild Foxel, you must have an offering. Right now, they are looking for anything!
However, if you do not want to give up an item or do not have any to spare, there's other things you can use. For instance, if you "sacrifice" of of your CS pets by offering it over to me, Coal, I will lure a Foxel right to you to capture. The better the pet offering, the closer I'll be able to bring the wild Foxel for you.
After it comes down from the sky to snatch the offering, either from you or myself in exchange for a pet, you simply throw the lead around its neck. This is often an unmentioned step in the process, so don't mind this part. If you succeed (and you most likely will), you get to name your new pet and keep it for yourself to breed, show off, draw, and/or keep in your sig (I will soon be making a small, special, possibly animated pixel lineart for this purpose)

Code: Select all
[url=http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2037476&]
[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/feif6e.png[/IMG][/url]

Woot! First animation I've ever done, in Firefly Foxel form! (yes it is extremely awkward-looking. tbh I don't really care xD it was hard enough making it!)
[url=http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2037476&][IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2925gmo.gif[/IMG][/url]

I kinda fixed it! And in pink!
[url=http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2037476&][IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/x6k6qp.gif[/IMG][/url]
Last edited by GIGABITE on Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:18 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Characters - DeviantArt

GIGABITE

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Breeding Your Foxels

Every now and then, your little buddy might find love in another Foxel. Perhaps they were drifting in the sky, when they bumped into a fellow Foxel. Their social nature might kick in, and it will have a new friend; or maybe they'll find love. In any case, they might want to have kids of their own!
About Foxel Cubs
Foxel cubs are much like caterpillars. They don't play much, and would rather sleep than run, but they make excellent lap-"dogs" and will lay on your lap quietly without biting your hand like a kitten, or shifting around constantly like a puppy. Many people look down upon Foxels because of this; many people would rather have an energetic little playmate than a sleepy puff ball.
Foxel cubs also eat quite a lot, considering how small they are. They enjoy leaves, tree sap, grass, dandelion leaves, and nectar. Special, nearly unreachable treats they love include seaweed, crushed berries, roots, nuts, and soft fruits. Usually, humans must provide these treats, since Foxel cubs can't get high (or low) enough to get them.
A Foxel's egg clutch is usually only 1-3 eggs, but very rarely, one might have 4. Usually, the babies look a lot like both of their parents, but every now and then, one might look almost exactly like Mom or Dad.

Payment to me to breed is pretty small, since capturing the two Foxels can be quite expensive. Just 1 uncommon (preferably wishlist) will suffice.

Breeding Rules
~You must either own both Foxels, or have written permission from the other person to breed to their Foxel~
~No arguing over cubs~
~You can keep one cub (per person, per litter), the rest will be adopted out to other loving owners. However, you may fill out a regular adoption form and include another payment offer to potentially keep a second cub~
~No rushing me, please!~
~I'd rather not take commons as payment for breeding, but on some occasions I might~

~Username~
~Female Foxel~
~Male Foxel~
~Payment~
Last edited by GIGABITE on Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Characters - DeviantArt

GIGABITE

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Foxel Archive

This is where all of the adopted Foxels so far will be displayed, on their glorified pixel lines xD

Aurora - Owned by FaebleWriter
Oliver - Owned by Wolfeh Hayes

Inka - Owned by kristatheepic
Kodiak - Owned by CoalKitten
Last edited by GIGABITE on Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:20 am, edited 4 times in total.

Characters - DeviantArt

GIGABITE

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Firefly Foxels [WIP]

Postby billie eilish » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:19 pm

Marking. Any chance I could apply to be a staff member somewhere?
╭━━━━╮

╰━━━━╯
╭━━━━━━━━━━╮

krista - 18+ - she/her bisexual
infj - ravenclaw - pisces
college music education major
violist, dancer, singer, pianist
saw billie live 6.9.2019

╰━━━━━━━━━━╯
billie eilish

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby GIGABITE » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:14 pm

kristatheepic wrote:
Marking. Any chance I could apply to be a staff member somewhere?

Perhaps after I'm finished making the thread lol :)

Characters - DeviantArt

GIGABITE

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me