Wolf Redline by Susiron

Based on Click to view
Artist Susiron [gallery]
Time spent 12 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
10 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Wolf Redline

Postby Susiron » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:28 am

You have a good base to your wolf's structure. I love that you made the body very solid, as not many people will account for the girth of a wolf's body. Wolves are quite fluffy, so even though their belly will have some shape to it, it's overall a rectangular shape other than a dip for the groin area.

For the neck, you have some nice fluff to it but I'd say add more fluff under the chin. I know it's tempting to make that part of the neck look sleek, but doing so gives a sort of "horse" effect to your wolf. Just keep in mind that wolves have a lot of fur to survive the elements and it particularly shows on the neck and shoulders, like so: http://vegangrub.files.wordpress.com/20 ... n-wolf.jpg

The legs of your wolf are a bit too short, and the front legs a little too far apart. It's good that you're already making the front legs look different from the hind, but don't be afraid to make them even more shapely. It's okay to exaggerate a wolf's shoulder on the front leg-- although you can hide it under fur if you're uncomfortable with drawing the shoulder. And for the hind leg, I find it can be good to exaggerate the fluff on the "butt" to make the dip towards the ankle more drastic. Also, defining the ankles and "wrist" of a wolf in general can make legs even more shapely and interesting.
If you need to, don't be afraid to look up some skeletal drawings to help you learn more about the bones in wolf's legs. Once you know more about what's under all of that skin and fluff, it can be a lot easier to draw! http://wolvessoldierspack.webs.com/a_Skeleton.jpg

For the face of a wolf, it can help to think of a bulky arrow. Their snout has some girth to it, but it overall tapers out from the face into a nice point. Then you can think of the cheeks of a wolf as the side points of an arrow, the other two points of that triangle. It creates a sort of line in front of the ears in this way, while simultaneously defining the underlying jaw.

The last thing I have to comment on is pose. When drawing a creature, think about where they stand on the ground and how they stand. Too stiff of a pose and your character becomes flat and maybe even a bit unstable. If you turn out the legs and really define that standing position, however, it creates a more dynamic, stable pose that gives life to even a simple drawing C:

As a final word of advice, don't be afraid to reference and look at tutorials! As helpful as redlining may be, you're still receiving edits from an artist that may not draw realistically, or know all there is to know about anatomy. I know that I personally have a very stylized way of drawing, so I would not recommend referencing directly from anything that I draw, even if you find points to it helpful.
That being said, practice is just as important as any amount of referencing. Don't be discouraged by anything-- keep drawing and don't stop! The more your practice, and the more that you reference and apply new knowledge to your work, the better your art will get! You already have good bones to your work, now all you need to do is work hard and keep on going with it.

I have some tutorials and references for wolves linked into this masterpost if you want to give them a look: http://norisus.tumblr.com/post/41310512 ... masterpost

I hope that this helps!
Susiron

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Wolf Redline

Postby SquishyZebra » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:49 am

Susiron wrote:You have a good base to your wolf's structure. I love that you made the body very solid, as not many people will account for the girth of a wolf's body. Wolves are quite fluffy, so even though their belly will have some shape to it, it's overall a rectangular shape other than a dip for the groin area.

For the neck, you have some nice fluff to it but I'd say add more fluff under the chin. I know it's tempting to make that part of the neck look sleek, but doing so gives a sort of "horse" effect to your wolf. Just keep in mind that wolves have a lot of fur to survive the elements and it particularly shows on the neck and shoulders, like so: http://vegangrub.files.wordpress.com/20 ... n-wolf.jpg

The legs of your wolf are a bit too short, and the front legs a little too far apart. It's good that you're already making the front legs look different from the hind, but don't be afraid to make them even more shapely. It's okay to exaggerate a wolf's shoulder on the front leg-- although you can hide it under fur if you're uncomfortable with drawing the shoulder. And for the hind leg, I find it can be good to exaggerate the fluff on the "butt" to make the dip towards the ankle more drastic. Also, defining the ankles and "wrist" of a wolf in general can make legs even more shapely and interesting.
If you need to, don't be afraid to look up some skeletal drawings to help you learn more about the bones in wolf's legs. Once you know more about what's under all of that skin and fluff, it can be a lot easier to draw! http://wolvessoldierspack.webs.com/a_Skeleton.jpg

For the face of a wolf, it can help to think of a bulky arrow. Their snout has some girth to it, but it overall tapers out from the face into a nice point. Then you can think of the cheeks of a wolf as the side points of an arrow, the other two points of that triangle. It creates a sort of line in front of the ears in this way, while simultaneously defining the underlying jaw.

The last thing I have to comment on is pose. When drawing a creature, think about where they stand on the ground and how they stand. Too stiff of a pose and your character becomes flat and maybe even a bit unstable. If you turn out the legs and really define that standing position, however, it creates a more dynamic, stable pose that gives life to even a simple drawing C:

As a final word of advice, don't be afraid to reference and look at tutorials! As helpful as redlining may be, you're still receiving edits from an artist that may not draw realistically, or know all there is to know about anatomy. I know that I personally have a very stylized way of drawing, so I would not recommend referencing directly from anything that I draw, even if you find points to it helpful.
That being said, practice is just as important as any amount of referencing. Don't be discouraged by anything-- keep drawing and don't stop! The more your practice, and the more that you reference and apply new knowledge to your work, the better your art will get! You already have good bones to your work, now all you need to do is work hard and keep on going with it.

I have some tutorials and references for wolves linked into this masterpost if you want to give them a look: http://norisus.tumblr.com/post/41310512 ... masterpost

I hope that this helps!

Wow! You helped me a lot! Thanks so much!!!!! I appreciate it :mrgreen:
Ace~<3
SquishyZebra

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me