Suggestion: Petdex! Archive should track prev. owned pets.

Suggest new features or changes to Chicken Smoothie.

Re: Suggestion: Petdex! Archive should track prev. owned pet

Postby Yaeli » Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:24 am

I said I didn’t support the idea, but I would accept it if there was an amount of time the pet must be kept. The amount of time a pet should be kept seems like a better idea to me than quick swapping. If quick swapping were allowed, it would make the achievement meaningless. How long should the pet be kept though? I’d say the limit should be less than a year but more than two weeks. It has to be long enough to have “collected” it, but short enough where it doesn’t collect dust. Maybe two months?
Yaeli

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lifora » Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:27 am

Logia wrote:I said I didn’t support the idea, but I would accept it if there was an amount of time the pet must be kept. The amount of time a pet should be kept seems like a better idea to me than quick swapping. If quick swapping were allowed, it would make the achievement meaningless. How long should the pet be kept though? I’d say the limit should be less than a year but more than two weeks. It has to be long enough to have “collected” it, but short enough where it doesn’t collect dust. Maybe two months?

I'd personally say a month or a week. But a month may work better. It could encourage users to earn it properly first / try to, but ultimately have a plan to be able to 'get' it :D
I'm an artist.

When I order art, please message me when I ask you too! I do NOT always recheck forums as I am a busy person. There's a chance I won't have payment, I only keep payment when I know that a commission was accepted.
Lifora

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lex. » Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:20 am

Lifora wrote:
Logia wrote:I said I didn’t support the idea, but I would accept it if there was an amount of time the pet must be kept. The amount of time a pet should be kept seems like a better idea to me than quick swapping. If quick swapping were allowed, it would make the achievement meaningless. How long should the pet be kept though? I’d say the limit should be less than a year but more than two weeks. It has to be long enough to have “collected” it, but short enough where it doesn’t collect dust. Maybe two months?

I'd personally say a month or a week. But a month may work better. It could encourage users to earn it properly first / try to, but ultimately have a plan to be able to 'get' it :D

Having a cooldown to when you can trade something though, especially a rare pet can be daunting. I'd rather it just track every pet that I've ever owned and just check it if I had, rather than extra stipulations. I personally don't care about collecting every pet, but what if you want a 1:1 swap but have to wait 2 weeks because you got the pet recently, and the other user isn't willing to wait to help your collection? I don't think it would work, and it could cause a lot of unneeded stress ^^;
But i think a petdex is a cool idea, unsure if I already bumped in support of this or not! It would be nice to know how many of the pets on CS I've owned at least once! [Maybe it can toggle between owned previously/currently?]

lex // any pronouns // lion lover // 10/21
    if you're happy where you are
    then you need not look too far
    if you've found your place at last
    then you need not use the looking glass
    -;; bubble puppy

Lex.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Starfalling » Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:26 am

Support! I also kinda like the idea of a cool-down, but only like a week or two max

My thoughts on it from another thread:

I would love that as well. There are so many pets I hold onto for the sake of wanting completion of a certain set in the archive that I would otherwise trade away, and it would be nice to along with indicators for the pets I own have an indicator of what I used to own, even if it's not retroactive (I don't expect them to code it to find everything I've ever had in my possession since 2012) and only applies to pets we've had when the update came out

ETA: I also feel like it may help get some pets back into the economy, if people are just holding them to say they've owned them. I may be biased though since I know this applies to a couple of mine
If I'm not answering, I'm probably at work. I usually get on in the late evening my time (listed timezone below)

Pronouns are they/them and you can call me Starfalling, M, or Morgan. I'm in Pennsylvania which is on EST (CStime -4)

I love trading, although I'm recently back from a long hiatus so I'm not fully up to date on demand. For any current event pets, I’ll only trade them away if I have a double, and I don't trade growing pets

I use bold a lot because it's easier for me to read, since you can't change other people's font size and being zoomed in constantly is annoying

I am a holibomber!
Sig was getting long, my counts have been moved to trade rules

Starfalling

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Loelya » Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:02 am

Yaeli wrote:
Another World wrote:
Logia wrote:No support. I think people would just ask others to trade them a pet and immediately trade back, just to say that they've "owned" it. Makes the concept pretty meaningless.

but the other user still has to agree to trade back so surely this isn't an issue?

There would start being threads like "let's do a trade / trade back [snip for clarity]

people actually do this on neopets! C: there’s a whole subculture around it and it actually works even though it might sound silly. not for pets, but for rare avatars that require at least briefly owning super rare, super expensive items. it’s called “avie lending.”

I understand that it might be different here just bc it’s a different site culture and all that. but I wanted to mention that it might not be as bad as it sounds to have something like lending going on.
ImageImage
~ and here you are, continuing on,
despite how hard it's been ~

adult || she/shey/they
"Build-Your-Own" Editables
Loelya

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BlueEyedKite » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:10 am

Support! It would free up A LOT of my personal collection if I knew I got to keep a checkmark somewhere.

Ps: if there was a lending chain for old pets heck yeah I would participate :thumbup:
Last edited by BlueEyedKite on Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BlueEyedKite

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Squecca » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:57 pm

Support
May is Celiac Disease Awareness Month!
Image <--click
Squecca

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kleinkat » Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:37 am

Big support from me! Also would be nice to tell you how many of those pets you owned/have owned.
About me:
-Bigender
-Autistic
-Entomologist
-Animator

I'm a tribal dog addict
Kleinkat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Stray Stranger » Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:16 pm

Support!
⚠️ Image ⚠️ Image ⚠️ Image ⚠️ Image ⚠️
__Image__Image__Image__ Image__ Image__ Image__Image__

⚠️ Image ⚠️ Image ⚠️ Image ⚠️ Image ⚠️
Stray Stranger

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rabidcoyote » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:21 pm

As a collector just for the sake of it, I love this idea!! Especially now that the website is a decade and a half old, it's so unbelievably hard to catch up with the pets that were already rare when they were originally released :C

x
𝕒 𝕘𝕣𝕒𝕟𝕕𝕔𝕙𝕚𝕝𝕕 𝕠𝕗 𝕊𝕒𝕥𝕒𝕟 𝕙𝕚𝕞𝕤𝕖𝕝𝕗

they/them or it/its
hopeless sudoku conoisseur, historical ed teach enthusiast, relentless snake booper

Suggestion: Bring back CS contests

rabidcoyote

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me